Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses at Austin City Limits Music Festival in October 2019
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses at Austin City Limits Music Festival in October 2019  (Read 14200 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2019, 03:17:51 PM »

I wonder when Tame Impala is coming out with another album. Killer stuff.

Really? Bores the living shit out of me. Reminds me of lift music!

They're the Beatles mixed with Pink Floyd. Sounds like you're the boring one here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPyZBYtEzg

....and there lies the problem for me! They sound EXACTLY like the Beatles mixed with Pink Floyd, which to me is just something from the past now. if I wanted to listen to the Beatles or Pink Floyd, I'd do just that- I'd rather hear new acts doing something a bit more original. I'm not sure how it qualifies as 'boring' to want that from new music?

Is there something wrong with sounding like they're from the golden era of music? It's not like they're Greta Van Fleet literally aping old artists and having no inspiration. Their songwriting is on the level of those legendary old bands and they absolutely have their own sound. Nothing by them actually sounds like a Beatles or PF song whatsoever.

Guns N Roses was often accused of sounding just like Aerosmith mixed with AC/DC, and their sound was "something from the past" when they came out. What matters is the songwriting, and Tame Impala are brilliant at that just like GNR. Not to mention their sublime use of effects. I can only assume you have never actually listened to them on quality speakers or headphones.

There's nothing wrong with "sounding like the golden era of music", if you want that no. There are probably people who want all their music to sound like Bill Haley and The Comets as they probably view that as "the golden era of music".  I'd rather something sound fresh and original, and like it was made in 2019. I see little difference between Greta Van Fleet and Tame Impala really - they're both new bands trying to imitate the past. Only difference is that you don't like Greta Van Fleet.

That's a fairly arrogant and patronising approach to someone that says they find something boring.: " I can only assume you have never actually listened to them on quality speakers or headphones". You assume very wrong - I've heard them through the speakers of a top level recording studio. Still find them dull and boring.

You know, it's ok for people to have different opinions to you right, and find something you like boring? It doesn't make them wrong.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 02:34:10 AM »

There's nothing wrong with "sounding like the golden era of music", if you want that no. There are probably people who want all their music to sound like Bill Haley and The Comets as they probably view that as "the golden era of music".  I'd rather something sound fresh and original, and like it was made in 2019. I see little difference between Greta Van Fleet and Tame Impala really - they're both new bands trying to imitate the past. Only difference is that you don't like Greta Van Fleet.

Again, literally all of the same things apply to Guns and you apparently like them. Or do you want the new album to "sound like it was made in 2019" and have no guitars, a verse by Nicki Minaj and a trap beat?

Being influenced by the past has no bearing on whether the songs are fresh and original. That is precisely the difference between them and GVF. I also like Alabama Shakes, who are influenced by artists of Bill Haley's era, even though I don't listen to anything of that era. Judging music on what it's influenced by is just myopic and prejudicial. Hell, I don't even much care for Aerosmith and yet I love Guns.

I see little difference between Guns and Tame Impala really - they're both new bands trying to imitate the past. Only difference is that you don't like Tame Impala.

That's a fairly arrogant and patronising approach to someone that says they find something boring.: " I can only assume you have never actually listened to them on quality speakers or headphones". You assume very wrong - I've heard them through the speakers of a top level recording studio. Still find them dull and boring.

You know, it's ok for people to have different opinions to you right, and find something you like boring? It doesn't make them wrong.

And it's fairly arrogant and patronizing to call them "elevator music". It's a practical response to assume you may have only heard them on computer speakers or something because that would produce low quality elevator tonality. Because otherwise, it would just be an asinine statement about an artist who goes to great lengths to create exquisite, hi-fi soundscapes. I guess I shouldn't have given you the benefit of the doubt...

Sure, and if somebody tells you Guns are a bunch of hair metal wankers you'd say "that's an insightful take, good sir"...

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 03:44:05 AM »

Again, literally all of the same things apply to Guns and you apparently like them. Or do you want the new album to "sound like it was made in 2019" and have no guitars, a verse by Nicki Minaj and a trap beat?

Being influenced by the past has no bearing on whether the songs are fresh and original. That is precisely the difference between them and GVF. I also like Alabama Shakes, who are influenced by artists of Bill Haley's era, even though I don't listen to anything of that era. Judging music on what it's influenced by is just myopic and prejudicial. Hell, I don't even much care for Aerosmith and yet I love Guns.

I see little difference between Guns and Tame Impala really - they're both new bands trying to imitate the past. Only difference is that you don't like Tame Impala.

And it's fairly arrogant and patronizing to call them "elevator music". It's a practical response to assume you may have only heard them on computer speakers or something because that would produce low quality elevator tonality. Because otherwise, it would just be an asinine statement about an artist who goes to great lengths to create exquisite, hi-fi soundscapes. I guess I shouldn't have given you the benefit of the doubt...

Sure, and if somebody tells you Guns are a bunch of hair metal wankers you'd say "that's an insightful take, good sir"...

I think we have to distinguish between all these bands.

First of all, What they said about guns in the past was  wrong ( i think they said that in order to diminish the breakout of the band). They didn't sound like another band, obviously they played a kind of music (hard rock) that they didn't invented. But they didn't sound like aerosmith, led zeppelin, rolling stones etc . They had their sound, which was a meltin pot of their personal musical influences. Axl rose had that nazareth lead singer style with a lyricism that was almost too much for a hard rock band. Slash was a kind of raw gary moore, not blues not metal not hard rock but oll of these put togheter. Duff was the guy who had the punk vibe. Izzy was the classic rock n roll rythm guitar who wrote songs in that style. Steven was..steven. They didn't sound like another band & that's one of the reasons they had the succes they had.

Greta Van Fleet are Led Zeppelin 2.0 (without the quality of led zep songs), nothin' more than that : singer sounds and acts like robert plant, lead guitar plays and moves like jimi page, riffs are cut & copy of any led zeppelin song, they even dress like they are in the seventies. I mean they won't last for long if they don't find their own sound/ style

Tame impala is all another thing again, for what i've listen to up to now, cause i didn't know the band. They surely lack originality in terms of  (60's) sound and style ,  but they don't sound like a particular band,  u can hear "influences" here and there but that's it.

Surely i can appreciate tame impala more than gvf
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:05:42 AM by ITARocker » Logged
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 07:28:46 AM »

It's called 'differing opinions' - something you seem to have a very big problem with. Tame Impala sound like elevator music to me - to you obviously not. That's absolutely fine.

"It would just be an asinine statement about an artist who goes to great lengths to create exquisite, hi-fi soundscapes" - yeah in YOUR VIEW. Again, that's fine, but you really do need to accept that there are people out there who find Tame Impala boring. They're not wrong, or right. They just find them boring. People like different things you know?

As for the GNR thing- yeah I'm hoping they do push their sound on, obviously. I don't want to hear Appetite part 2. Chinese Democracy pushed them on massively, and doesn't sound like anything else. I hope they can do something again.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »

When:
Fri 10/04
7:30pm-10:00pm

When:
Fri 10/11
7:30pm-10:00pm

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: