Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 05:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227873 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Students banned from Graduation because of the Confederate Flag
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Students banned from Graduation because of the Confederate Flag  (Read 36240 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »

its also part of the Mississippi state flag

its just a symbol.  people need to stop getting their panties in a bunch over silly shit like this.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 06:26:50 PM »

Yes, well we all know that Mississippi is quite the progressive state. Wink
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »

I just think people need to stop trying to tell other people who and what they should believe in.

I have no problem with the confederate flag. I agree it looks redneck and stupid, but if someone wants to wear or fly it, thats their prerogative and I am not gonna judge them for it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »

Remember the Malcolm X shirts?  Those were hip, he was filled with hate. 
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »

I live in Central Pennsylvania........no where near the south, but it irks me to see so many of them around here.  I mean seriously, none of these idiots are from the South....they are the ones who use the flag as a sign of hate, because like SLC said of the hillbillies in Florida....they're the same way around here....racist and ignorant.  

I for one am not offended by the flag, even if the South did claim the life of my great, great, great, great, great, great grandpappy General Eusteus "Cornrow" Bill213.  I could hold that over my head in negativity, but I choose to move on.

And to the dude saying they sell the flag in Gettysburg, of course they do.  Gettysburg is a giant tourist shithole trap out to get the dollar.  Do you think if this whole flag thing was about heritage that they'd be selling the flag of their enemy in their shops.  They sell it because some douchebag Kid Rock listening, tobacco chewing, Pabst Blue Ribbon drinking, cousin loving, stone cold steve austin wannabe hillbilly thinks it cool to hang in the window of their pick'em up truck.

Perhaps my neighbor, who's great great grandfather served for Germany in WW2 should wave a Nazi flag in tribute to their heritage?  Wonder if anyone would get offended by her doing that?  Oh that's right, everyone would relate it to the slaughting of millions of Jewish people and claim that she is a monster.  

Folks the Civil War was about slavery, plain as that........that money you're talking about, was money generated by slavery because the South knew they would perish without it.  The amount of slaves that existed in the North by the 1840's was in the hundreds.......compared to the hundreds of thousands in the South.  As soon as the southern states saw that Lincoln was to be president they started secession with South Carolina.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »

^^^^

Thinks some people here needed that little history lesson.

Thanks, Bill. Grin
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »

Bill 213 is on the money.  People really need to put themselves in others' shoes sometimes.  Imagine you are driving down a country road off the highway (you didn't have money for the tolls) and you're close to running out of gas...you're in an area near dusk and the only house is a farmhouse waving the ol' stars and bars...okay...now imagine you are an African-American...alone...do you think you are going to feel comfortable going up to this house asking for help? 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 07:16:20 PM »

Simply put though, the best part of this thread was the dude saying, "The Civil War wasn't about slavery, that was just a side bar".

Who was this dude's American history teacher, David Duke?

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 07:16:32 PM »

some douchebag Kid Rock listening, tobacco chewing, Pabst Blue Ribbon drinking, cousin loving, stone cold steve austin wannabe hillbilly

ha...that's awesome  ok

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »

Imagine you are driving down a country road off the highway (you didn't have money for the tolls) and you're close to running out of gas...you're in an area near dusk and the only house is a farmhouse waving the ol' stars and bars...okay...now imagine you are an African-American...alone...do you think you are going to feel comfortable going up to this house asking for help? 

Uh, I would be afraid too!
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2008, 09:11:26 PM »

...some douchebag Kid Rock listening, tobacco chewing, Pabst Blue Ribbon drinking, cousin loving, stone cold steve austin wannabe hillbilly thinks it cool to hang in the window of their pick'em up truck.

Well Billy boy, I happen to be a Kid Rock listener. Hell, sometimes I'm a tobacco chewer. PBR is some potent great shit, and I'll go ya one better....the greatest weekend of the year (other than Gn'R playing....is the fuckin NASCAR race. So to all hell with your close minded cliche bullshit. Ya know what? Hell, I'm glad  political correctness assholes like you are offended. All the more reason to keep flying it with pride.

Axl is God.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2008, 09:49:05 PM »

...some douchebag Kid Rock listening, tobacco chewing, Pabst Blue Ribbon drinking, cousin loving, stone cold steve austin wannabe hillbilly thinks it cool to hang in the window of their pick'em up truck.

Well Billy boy, I happen to be a Kid Rock listener. Hell, sometimes I'm a tobacco chewer. PBR is some potent great shit, and I'll go ya one better....the greatest weekend of the year (other than Gn'R playing....is the fuckin NASCAR race. So to all hell with your close minded cliche bullshit. Ya know what? Hell, I'm glad  political correctness assholes like you are offended. All the more reason to keep flying it with pride.

But I thought I made it clear I wasn't offended by it?  Just annoyed at the poser "southerners" who claim to be proud of their southern heritage...which to me is kind of funny.  So a bunch of your great great great great grandpappy's decided they'd rather own human beings than be a unified country.  They fought a miserable 4 year rebellion against the government only to generally succumb to the "Lost Cause" rationing of the war.  That stuff about PBR and Tobacco, that was all in good fun.

But yeah, what's so joyous about that?  That'd be like if everyone today in Boston got an erection everytime they saw a teabag (which I'm neither confirming nor denying) because of the importance of the Boston Tea Party.  It's a fucking flag, nothing more nothing less....but now it's something that mongoloids are using to pretend to be cool and racist.  Infact, just like you placed the one in your avatar....to get a rise out of people.

I'm about as far from PC as you'll ever get......I support the idealogy of Common Sense, which is few and far between these days.  It doesn't take a flag or a song or a president or a building or monument or great war general to make me proud of my heritage.  I love this entire country with all my heart, regardless of the disgusting politicians and their shitty government that is placed in charge of it, the horrible crimes that are taking place every second from coast to coast, the symbols of hatred and oppression, the lines of seperation that still exist to this day and everything else that is wrong with it.  I'm not going to raise a flag that I know will offend people, just to get a rise out of my buddies.   

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2008, 10:27:48 PM »

I happen to be a Kid Rock listener. Hell, sometimes I'm a tobacco chewer.

Well you must have to beat the ladies off with the stick you use to wave the confederate flag !
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2008, 10:31:22 PM »

Honestly, I don't even own a Rebel Flag, it just pisses me off that theres such a big deal made out of it. Kinda like that whole Rachel Ray Dunkin Donuts thing....it's a bunch of bullshit....it's a non issue. People are offended by fucking everything these days, and it makes me sick. You have to be careful of what you say, what you wear, hell you gotta be careful of how you look at someone anymore. This country is turning into a bunch of pansies. The more I think about it, the more I think I should go buy a Rebel Flag, not because I'm racist, but because to me it represents a big "fuck you" to all these assholes who get their panties in a knot over nothing. And I think that's what it means to a lot of people. So I'm sorry Bill for calling you an asshole.

Axl is God.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »

Simply put though, the best part of this thread was the dude saying, "The Civil War wasn't about slavery, that was just a side bar".

Bill, are you sure it wasn't about the South trading and importing directly with other countries?  It was about free trade and a tarriff placed to subsidize the northern industrial cities and central gov't.  Basically the North was using the southern states to subsidize them.  In fact, in 1860, Abe Lincoln said he would not interfere with slavery in the southern states.  The North then adopted the free Slavery campaign to take a moral stance against the South, but the war was started over tarriffs and the South's desire to have free trade with other countries with out the north over taxing their exports/imports to industrialize the north and fund our Gov't.  With out the South the Gov't would have bankrupt.  The South wanted out because they felt mistreated and used, the North couldn't let them go. 

Here is the link that explains what I said written by an economist.

http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/Constitution_Issues/genesis_civil_war.htm
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:04:28 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2008, 11:13:21 PM »

Bill, are you sure it wasn't about the South trading and importing directly with other countries?  It was about free trade and a tarriff placed to subsidize the northern industrial cities and central gov't.  Basically the North was using the southern states to subsidize them.  In fact, in 1860, Abe Lincoln said he would not interfere with slavery in the southern states.  The North then adopted the free Slavery campaign to take a moral stance against the South, but the war was started over tarriffs and the South's desire to have free trade with other countries with out the north over taxing their exports/imports to industrialize the north and fund our Gov't.  With out the South the Gov't would have bankrupt.  The South wanted out because they felt mistreated and used, the North couldn't let them go. 

I agree with you absolutely about those being issues of the war.....but those are the "side bars" you talked about earlier.  The North didn't just all of a sudden take a free slavery campaign in 1860........Since the late 1700's there were movements and measures passed to make slavery illegal. 

The only way the South would have been able to have free trade with other countries is because of their slave labor.  That is what they fought to protect, the right to own slaves.  It all revolves around the South surviving on Slave labor.

As for Lincoln saying he would not interfere with slavery.....he said he could not end slavery in states that already had it due to the Corwin Amendment (No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State).  This was Congress's last attempt to stop the civil war from happening.  The south ignored it as they considered themselves a seperate country at this time.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »

I agree with you absolutely about those being issues of the war.....but those are the "side bars" you talked about earlier.  The North didn't just all of a sudden take a free slavery campaign in 1860........Since the late 1700's there were movements and measures passed to make slavery illegal. 

The only way the South would have been able to have free trade with other countries is because of their slave labor.  That is what they fought to protect, the right to own slaves.  It all revolves around the South surviving on Slave labor.

As for Lincoln saying he would not interfere with slavery.....he said he could not end slavery in states that already had it due to the Corwin Amendment (No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State).  This was Congress's last attempt to stop the civil war from happening.  The south ignored it as they considered themselves a seperate country at this time.

It truly is amazing to think our country went to war with each other.  I mean, just imagine battles today happening  in fields  out in your back yard or entire cities being burned down like Atlanta.  And it really wasn't that long ago!  Either way, glad the slaves were freed!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2008, 11:44:07 PM »

Dude you wanna know what's freaky, there are still cannonballs lodged in buildings in Gettysburg.....like right in town.  I live about an hour and a half from there and everytime I drive through and see that, it's just like wow.  I didn't know this until a few years ago, but one of my very distant grandparents were among the first to die in the battle of Gettysburg..........they have a plaque honoring like the first 100 people to die in the battle and I have a not so common name, so I researched and found it to be in my immediate lineage.  But yeah, just 140 years ago, we were killing each other. 

One of the things my friends and I always debate upon is that in this day and age of "enlightment (sarcasm)" what it would actually take to divide the country again.  There are many things that came up like religion and social standing being the main ones, but it always makes for a good conversation.

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2008, 11:46:42 PM »

The USA Today picked up on this story.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2008, 11:52:09 PM »

Dude you wanna know what's freaky, there are still cannonballs lodged in buildings in Gettysburg.....like right in town.  I live about an hour and a half from there and everytime I drive through and see that, it's just like wow.  I didn't know this until a few years ago, but one of my very distant grandparents were among the first to die in the battle of Gettysburg..........they have a plaque honoring like the first 100 people to die in the battle and I have a not so common name, so I researched and found it to be in my immediate lineage.  But yeah, just 140 years ago, we were killing each other. 

One of the things my friends and I always debate upon is that in this day and age of "enlightment (sarcasm)" what it would actually take to divide the country again.  There are many things that came up like religion and social standing being the main ones, but it always makes for a good conversation.

I wonder if really are closer than we really think?  Nevermind, we have a bunch of trial things going on now.  We have wackos that pose a threat to people, but not an all out war.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: