Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227922 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Students banned from Graduation because of the Confederate Flag
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Students banned from Graduation because of the Confederate Flag  (Read 36413 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2008, 12:39:49 AM »

If u think its ok for black kids to run around with Malcolm X shirts, then u cant really be against people wearing the Rebel Flag.

The basic point all of u "ELITIST" are missing out on is, Its someones RIGHT to wear whatever the fuck they want to wear.

I love how people come on here and judge others with their elitist I am perfect rhetoric like u are such a great american cause u denounce a rebel flag.

People only are against the rebel flag because god forbid u are labeled a racist.

I see nothing wrong with the rebel flag as long as u arent out spreading hate and hurting people.

Its like everyone champions Abe Lincoln but he was a racist by today's standards as well.

Who here thinks the Civil War was about slavery only?

thats a complete fallacy.

The rebel flag today has nothing to do with hating black people or being a racist. Its about being against society and all the shit we are "SUPPOSE" to do.  Im tired of everyone dictating the way others should think and believe. that isnt a democracy.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2008, 12:45:42 AM »

Well, I'm from the north, and I'm just going to start waving this around:

Personally, I think it's a travesty that those kids were banned from graduating, over that, after 4 yrs of hard work!  That's wrong. 

I have no doubt that the Confederate Flag is used, in many parts of the South (or other places) to represent a feeling or mind of prejudice and hatred.  Then, again, I think many people use it because they think it's cool-looking.  Not sure why those kids used it. 

Other than it being just a cool-looking symbol, I can't imagine why anyone would want to hold onto it, to this day, as a symbol of the South or anything it might represent, when it stood in it's place a couple hundred yrs ago. 

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 07:37:04 AM by lynn1961 » Logged
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2008, 01:24:11 AM »

Im tired of everyone dictating the way others should think and believe. that isnt a democracy.

Actually, that's exactly what it is. Majority dictatorship.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
SLCPUNK
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »

If u think its ok for black kids to run around with Malcolm X shirts, then u cant really be against people wearing the Rebel Flag.

The basic point all of u "ELITIST" are missing out on is, Its someones RIGHT to wear whatever the fuck they want to wear.

I love how people come on here and judge others with their elitist I am perfect rhetoric like u are such a great american cause u denounce a rebel flag.

People only are against the rebel flag because god forbid u are labeled a racist.

I see nothing wrong with the rebel flag as long as u arent out spreading hate and hurting people.

Its like everyone champions Abe Lincoln but he was a racist by today's standards as well.

Who here thinks the Civil War was about slavery only?

thats a complete fallacy.

The rebel flag today has nothing to do with hating black people or being a racist. Its about being against society and all the shit we are "SUPPOSE" to do.  Im tired of everyone dictating the way others should think and believe. that isnt a democracy.

In a free country people are welcome to their opinions.

Those who wave the flag with pride have theirs, and those who think they are ignorant morons hold theirs. Both are allowed under our Constitution.

If it's against a schools rules however, then the school has a right to hand out the punishment as they see fit. This isn't stripping away their rights any more than a nice restaurant booting somebody out for wearing a tanktop.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2008, 02:12:23 AM »

yeah if it was against school rules thats fine.

I am now rallying against people judging everyone for a rebel flag.

Axl use to wear a sweet black leather jacket witha  rebel flag on it. I dont think he is pro slavery or anti black person etc.

I think other people labeled the flag to mean this or that but I dont think even the confederacy started the flag as a way to be racist. it was just their own flag.

many probably do use the flag as a racism symbol but Im sure not everyone sees it that way. I dont view it that way. I view it as like an anarchy symbol. just something to be against the system or the norm.

I think the rebel flag looks cool depending on how its used.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:55 AM »

Dude, you're definitely not understanding what we were discussing earlier.  Of course the flag of the Confederacy wasn't designed to represent racism, the reason racism is tied into it is because of the Confederacy's dependancy on slaves and how that's gone on even after the Civil War, to be used by groups like the KKK and just general redneck racist assholes in general.

No one was saying, "OH YOU CAN'T WEAR THE CONFEDERATE FLAG!!!!"  We were just discussing the meanings of it and how it has become associated with racism which, dude if you're denying......I can show you thousands of pictures of white power rallies where the flag is flying high.

I was pretty much judging people who act as posers by claiming the rebel flag is a symbol of anarchy and going against "the machine".  At least be a real poser and buy a Che Gueverra shirt and beret.

As far as Axl.......he was wearing the jacket to compliment the song Civil War...nothing more, nothing less.  But if one wanted to argue, all one would have to do is pop in the old GNR Lies CD to track number 8!

The majority of people just think it's inappropriate because it causes insensitivites to people.  I for one, if I was black and was a descendant of slaves...would be quite peeved at someone openely wearing one, because it's in poor taste.  Just like I said earlier, if someone was to wear a nazi arm band and walk into a Wal-Mart.....people would be furious.  Even though the swastika has no meaning to racism....it is a symbol that has been associated with it.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2008, 05:37:30 AM »

Three Bloomington seniors barred from graduation over Confederate flag prank

Justin Thompson, 18, Joey Snyder, 17, and Dan Fredin, 18, were suspended from Bloomington Kennedy High School.

I don't think they should have been banned for waving a silly flag. But I do think they should be beheaded for posing in this pic like that  peace

This signature is very funny.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »

Exactly...........that picture just screams, "you sure do got a pretty mouth, boy."

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »

Kaufman said it's unfortunate that the boys' decision resulted in their exclusion from the graduation ceremony, but the ban on the Confederate flag isn't new. He said Kennedy High students know the flag is banned because it may violate anti-discrimination policies.

And there is the most important part of the article.

If there has been a longstanding ban, and they broke it (it sounds like knowingly, if it was a "prank"), 'dems the breaks.  The school is within it's rights to make rules like this. Period.  End of story.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2008, 10:00:26 AM »

For those who say that the confederate flag has nothing to do with race and is just about sticking it to the Man, do any black people use that flag as their rebellion symbol of choice? 

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »

Kaufman said it's unfortunate that the boys' decision resulted in their exclusion from the graduation ceremony, but the ban on the Confederate flag isn't new. He said Kennedy High students know the flag is banned because it may violate anti-discrimination policies.

And there is the most important part of the article.

If there has been a longstanding ban, and they broke it (it sounds like knowingly, if it was a "prank"), 'dems the breaks.  The school is within it's rights to make rules like this. Period.  End of story.

School had the right.  Good for them for having some balls.  
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2008, 10:01:45 AM »

For those who say that the confederate flag has nothing to do with race and is just about sticking it to the Man, do any black people use that flag as their rebellion symbol of choice? 

They use the Malcolm X symbol.  I have also seen blacks at Nascar events hanging out with rednecks what sport the flag having a blast.  Some blacks aren't nearly as sensitive as whites.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »

They use the Malcolm X symbol.  I have also seen blacks at Nascar events hanging out with rednecks what sport the flag having a blast.  Some blacks aren't nearly as sensitive as whites.

Many black people don't like what Malcolm X stood for.  But they still might feel rebellious.  Except it probably wouldn't be a good idea to recommend to them a confederate flag to express their rebelliousness.  Why do you suppose that is? 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2008, 10:14:34 AM »

School had the right.  Good for them for having some balls. 

I'm assuming you mean good for the students for having some balls.

Having "balls" also means being willing to face any potential consequences....in the sense of it being some sort of act of protest, if that's what it was.  There's no problem with a little civil disobedience, within reason, so long as you're willing to pay the price.

If it was just some sort of "prank", I wouldn't call that having balls.  I'd call it being stupid.  High school kids, especially, have a propensity for doing things without thinking about the consequences.  I know I did, back when I was young and "immortal".  Part of growing up is learning that when you do something stupid, you likewise have to face the consequences.  Be it a suspension, a fender bender, the "walk of shame", or something much more serious.  I'd deem this as a hard slap on the wrist that might teach them a bit of a life lesson.

They broke the rules, now they have to face the punishment.  It's as simple as that.

Together again,
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2008, 10:29:06 AM »

School had the right.  Good for them for having some balls. 

I'm assuming you mean good for the students for having some balls.

Having "balls" also means being willing to face any potential consequences....in the sense of it being some sort of act of protest, if that's what it was.  There's no problem with a little civil disobedience, within reason, so long as you're willing to pay the price.

If it was just some sort of "prank", I wouldn't call that having balls.  I'd call it being stupid.  High school kids, especially, have a propensity for doing things without thinking about the consequences.  I know I did, back when I was young and "immortal".  Part of growing up is learning that when you do something stupid, you likewise have to face the consequences.  Be it a suspension, a fender bender, the "walk of shame", or something much more serious.  I'd deem this as a hard slap on the wrist that might teach them a bit of a life lesson.

They broke the rules, now they have to face the punishment.  It's as simple as that.

No, I mean good for the school having a back bone and doing that they believe was right.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

No, I mean good for the school having a back bone and doing that they believe was right.

Gotcha!  Sorry I misunderstood.  And for "assuming".

peace

Together again,
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »

The school has NEVER had a ban on the confederate flag. Not once in the four years I was attending this school, and not this year either. There has NEVER been anything about it in the student handbook/.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
GeraldFord
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »

No sympathy for them.

Ditto. Serves them right.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »

The school has NEVER had a ban on the confederate flag. Not once in the four years I was attending this school, and not this year either. There has NEVER been anything about it in the student handbook/.

I don't know what you want anyone to say.....

If it wasn't a known rule, then the punishment, perhaps, outweighs what was done. 

If it was, the school was within their rights to do what they did.

If there was NO rule, I'd assume there would have been or will be a lawsuit, but keep in mind the rule wouldn't have to say "The Confederate flag is banned".  It could say something a lot more general, and still be applicable.  It could say something like "students are prohibited from displaying, wearing, or possessing anything, while on campus, conveying a message of hate, discrimination, or anything containing language or images that might be reasonably offensive to our other students". 

Together again,
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »

I don't know what you want anyone to say.....

If it wasn't a known rule, then the punishment, perhaps, outweighs what was done. 

If it was, the school was within their rights to do what they did.

If there was NO rule, I'd assume there would have been or will be a lawsuit, but keep in mind the rule wouldn't have to say "The Confederate flag is banned".  It could say something a lot more general, and still be applicable.  It could say something like "students are prohibited from displaying, wearing, or possessing anything, while on campus, conveying a message of hate, discrimination, or anything containing language or images that might be reasonably offensive to our other students". 

I wish I knew exactly happened.  Did the kids still graduate and just not walk?  This almost falls under the, "there are more important things to worry about" category.  From what I can tell, they didn't beat anyone up like those fucking cunts in that youtube video who beat up that girl.  Now that was awful.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: