Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:11:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227941 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Video games
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Video games  (Read 41960 times)
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2005, 06:44:18 PM »

going to plunk down for a 360 on Launch day....then Oblivion got delayed until March-ish. I'll be waiting to buy my 360 til then. Smiley

Aye, in this boat, I am.

In truth, I'm buying a 360 purely because of Oblivion. So finding that all pre-christmas consoles had been 'sold' prior to release was no biggie when I found out that Elder Scrolls 4 comes out next year.

Morrowind is the reason that I am playing games again. I was totaly in awe of how good it was. Okay, so the battle method wasn't great, that being an understatement, but it was still enjoyable. I had never experienced a game that was so immersive.

Just excellent. I only got into it the summer gone by (late, huh?) and...Well, I didn't see much of that summer. Four hours would go by like they were nothing...

I was playing Morrowind on my PC, though. Rather than risk running Oblivion on a computer that may, or may not be, up to the task, is a risk that I'm not going to take.

I can't wait.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »

i though the Sega mega Drive or whatever it was called had cd based games  way before PS1

Correct. Too bad 99% of the games were garbage. The Saturn was a decent system, however. The Playstation was the cd system that actually succeeded where the earlier ones had failed. For one thing, the Saturn was really hard to develop for, and the megadrive cd was competing with the vanilla version. The Playstation didn't have those problems.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2005, 08:08:45 PM »

Aye, in this boat, I am.

In truth, I'm buying a 360 purely because of Oblivion. So finding that all pre-christmas consoles had been 'sold' prior to release was no biggie when I found out that Elder Scrolls 4 comes out next year.

Morrowind is the reason that I am playing games again. I was totaly in awe of how good it was. Okay, so the battle method wasn't great, that being an understatement, but it was still enjoyable. I had never experienced a game that was so immersive.

Just excellent. I only got into it the summer gone by (late, huh?) and...Well, I didn't see much of that summer. Four hours would go by like they were nothing...

I was playing Morrowind on my PC, though. Rather than risk running Oblivion on a computer that may, or may not be, up to the task, is a risk that I'm not going to take.

I can't wait.

It's worth getting the PC version because of mods and less loading time. You'll have to spend as much on a graphics card as the Xbox 360 costs right now, though.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2005, 09:53:57 PM »

Nintendo has made a great comeback with Wind Waker after the disappointing Ocarina of Time. It's the best Zelda game since A Link To The Past. After the disaster that was the N64, I think they're about to jump back up and surprise us. Quality over quantity, especially for busy people like me!

Are you nuts Walk?  Ocarina of Time is the greatest video game of that era, bar none.  Final Fantasy VII is a close second, but had Zelda been on the PSX it surely would have silenced any naysayers.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2005, 09:59:36 PM »

For $350 I could buy a 7800 GT graphics card and enjoy shiny eye candy right now on my computer, if I felt like it. My old CRT monitor has great resolution and it didn't cost me $500+. An LCD's refresh rate and color accuracy will never, ever match the old CRT technology. Quake, or any other fast paced game for that matter, just isn't the same thing on an LCD, even with shiny HD.

Blu-Ray is Sony's gimmick for imposing their own proprietary format on all the rest of the market. HD-DVD isn't much better at that regard, but at least it's easier to manufacture and will be less expensive for consumers. HD quality is only really good for classic movies with great cinematography, like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Citizen Kane, Schindler's List, The Sound of Music, etc. I like these movies, but not enogh to spend thousands of dollars for HD quality.

Actually, the $350 HD TV from Walmart is a "tube" TV....not an LCD.

And a REALLY good LCD can actually compare quite favorably to CRT.  But you'll pay through the nose to get that response rate/contrast ratio, so the "bang for the buck" certainly leans in CRT's direction.  But 19" CRT behmoths aren't always practical on some people's desktops.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2005, 10:04:32 PM »

It's worth getting the PC version because of mods and less loading time. You'll have to spend as much on a graphics card as the Xbox 360 costs right now, though.

Not true.  The ATI X850 pro is quite serviceable and will run Oblivion great (check the dev boards..they confirm it) and won't run you nearly $400 (or $350..for the base and a memory card..which is a ripoff if you ask me).  If you manage to get lucky, you can even mod your 850 Pro to an 850 XT....

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2005, 10:06:34 PM »

Nintendo has made a great comeback with Wind Waker after the disappointing Ocarina of Time. It's the best Zelda game since A Link To The Past. After the disaster that was the N64, I think they're about to jump back up and surprise us. Quality over quantity, especially for busy people like me!

I preferred Ocarina of Time (and the fact they included it with Master Quest on the Wind Waker preorder was a great insentive!), personally.  Wind Waker was short (even with all the side quests) and easy.

I do like the look of the new Zelda coming out...Twilight Princess looks very good.

Together again,
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2005, 11:59:24 PM »

Are you nuts Walk?  Ocarina of Time is the greatest video game of that era, bar none.  Final Fantasy VII is a close second, but had Zelda been on the PSX it surely would have silenced any naysayers.

I was disappointed in the huge number of puzzles in the game instead of the basic fundamentals of room to room fighting. I didn't like the overly expansive Hyrule field and horse riding, either. The skeleton monsters were the only ones that were truly challenging, even though some of the bosses were really fun.

I believe the original Zelda for NES has never been topped, but the SNES LttP was a decent follow-up. Intellectual puzzles and exploration work better for Metroid and Castlevania games. To me, Zelda should be about action, fighting, weapons, and a bit of exploration. I didn't like having to do those ocarina tunes and stuff.

I played the original when I was like 3, and I still play it as a ROM sometimes. It's a timeless gem. I guess Ocarina of Time could only disappoint me, no matter how good it was. It's also more of an adventure game than a true RPG, as well. As an adventure game, it gets owned by Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid anyway. It's not bad, but it's not the best.

The best console RPG of the late 90's was probably Xenogears, unless I'm forgetting something (I probably am). It is more complex than the beginner friendly FF VII, the story is mature, the game is nice and long, and the minigames aren't annoying like FF VII's. I liked the Orwellian aspects of it, as well.
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2005, 03:15:56 AM »

The pathetic thing about video game consoles is when they first come out, people go nuts over them, then like 4-5 years later, they don't like them anymore.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2005, 04:04:05 AM »

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night... now that was a fucking masterpiece. Honestly.. i get chills thinking about it. That game was just.. wow. So much personality.. so much freedom to explore.. I really cant describe the greatness. I remember being so sad when I beat it... (as i was with FF7).. a second play through just isn't the same...

I personally don't see myself with a 360 till Halo 3. And even then its only one game.. (even if its got the greatest multiplayer EVER)...

Revolution and PS3 intrest me more.. Revolution for its innovation (which i have yet to see.. but im sure it will be delivered..) ... and PS3 for technical supiority.. (look at killzone 2!!!!) wowzer.

-jack

gnrevolution.com
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2005, 08:41:32 AM »

The best console RPG of the late 90's was probably Xenogears, unless I'm forgetting something (I probably am). It is more complex than the beginner friendly FF VII, the story is mature, the game is nice and long, and the minigames aren't annoying like FF VII's. I liked the Orwellian aspects of it, as well.

Agreed, for the late 90's.

My favorite conole RPG of all time was Chrono Trigger, released in '95.

My favorite RPG of all time (on the PC) is Ultima IV.

Together again,
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2005, 08:56:48 AM »

The pathetic thing about video game consoles is when they first come out, people go nuts over them, then like 4-5 years later, they don't like them anymore.

well considering the price and the time you spend on it ... it's still good Smiley

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »

I got my Xbox 360 today. I've played Kameo and Perfect Dark so far and...They took some getting used to. For the last few years I haven't been that into video games, asside from Morrowind. But once I got into them, yeah. It looks like it's going to be good...

Anyway, that's not my point.

Or my question. Well, my question.

My question is: When does Oblivion come out? It's just www.play.com list it as the beggining of March, www.amazon.co.uk have it for the end of March and www.amazon.com say that it's out in...April.

So, are any of them correct? Or, does the game not have a release date yet?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2006, 02:48:33 PM »

I got my Xbox 360 today. I've played Kameo and Perfect Dark so far and...They took some getting used to. For the last few years I haven't been that into video games, asside from Morrowind. But once I got into them, yeah. It looks like it's going to be good...

Anyway, that's not my point.

Or my question. Well, my question.

My question is: When does Oblivion come out? It's just www.play.com list it as the beggining of March, www.amazon.co.uk have it for the end of March and www.amazon.com say that it's out in...April.

So, are any of them correct? Or, does the game not have a release date yet?

it will be late i think. but it will be good. very good Smiley
can't wait either Smiley

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2006, 04:52:55 PM »

Ah, as expected...

Will you be playing it on the Xbox 360, or your suped up computer?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:55:50 PM by Jim » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2006, 06:56:53 PM »

I'll definitely play the computer version. Mods will extend the game's already long replayability. I also suspect the technical quality will be a bit higher on pc. Higher resolution, less loading time, and better anti-aliasing, etc. The mouse/keyboard control system is also much better than a clunky controller. Oh yeah, and hotkeys!  ok
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2006, 12:59:16 PM »

Yes, cheers, but we got your answer a couple of pages back.

Simple copy and paste job wasn't it? Oh, but hotkeys.  yes

...Actually, I was asking the Whatever Man.

Edit: Whadayaknow...It was this page.  Tongue

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »

hop :!

well right now i own a laptop Sad not fun for playin .....
but yeah, computer.
im not really a console person ( but nintendo).

i'm just worried about the gameplay complexity ... as games keep being released on so many support .... i think that the games will pretty much be the same (gameplay wise, system-interface-structure wise) on both format.

but, you know, i think that the Revolution will steal the show.

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2006, 02:20:46 PM »

When is it scheduled to come out, isn't it like a year away?

Or is it less?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2006, 02:35:17 PM »

When is it scheduled to come out, isn't it like a year away?

Or is it less?

ho less !

i say before summer , i think ;Sad

edit: but man .... they 're taking a more *casual* approach to the game (who isn't doin that ?) ... so be prepared to be more guided and helped .... less lost (maybe what was *cool* about morrowind) than in the previsous games ....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 02:37:56 PM by WAT-EVER, i'm totally buggin » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: