Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Philosophical question of the month--March
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Philosophical question of the month--March  (Read 17173 times)
RichardNixon
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:11:05 AM »

Say you knew for certain that God didn?t exist and that there was no afterlife, would you act any differently? In what ways would you change your life or treat others?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:29:04 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:18:56 AM »

I wouldn't act any differently. Treating people with kindness shouldn't be to score brownie points with God, it's just the right thing to do. The world would fall apart if everyone were just out for themselves.
RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 01:24:10 AM »

I wouldn't act any differently. Treating people with kindness shouldn't be to score brownie points with God, it's just the right thing to do. The world would fall apart if everyone were just out for themselves.

Would it matter if the whole word falls apart? We are all going to die and all traces of our lives will be gone forever someday anway. What does anything matter? Why not be cruel? Is life either (1) scoring browinie points with God or (2) doing the right thing AKA being a sucker? Sounds bad either way.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 01:28:01 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
Elrothiel
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:26:29 AM »

Turn every church into a rock venue with male AND female poledancers and cage-dancers.

The only rule? Rock as hard as you possibly can, and sleaze it to the max! All night long!!? beer smoking ok peace

That's my heaven, and if heaven don't exist, then create your own, QUICK! BEFORE YOU DIE!!! ok
Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:29:01 AM »

Would it matter if the whole word falls apart? We are all going to die and all traces of out lives will be gone forever someday anway. What does anything matter. Why not be cruel? Is life either (1) scoring browinie points with God or (2) doing the right thing AKA being a sucker? Sounds bad either way.

Why the fuck would you be cruel?? Huh?
Doing the right thing doesn't make you a sucker... silly boy? ?Roll Eyes

But personally? . . . I would track down Steven Tyler and proclaim my undying love? ?love

hihi

"She was queen for about an hour...? after that, shit got sour... She took all I ever had.? No sign of guilt.? No feeling of bad, no..."
RichardNixon
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:36:00 AM »

Would it matter if the whole word falls apart? We are all going to die and all traces of out lives will be gone forever someday anway. What does anything matter. Why not be cruel? Is life either (1) scoring browinie points with God or (2) doing the right thing AKA being a sucker? Sounds bad either way.

Why the fuck would you be cruel?? Huh?
Doing the right thing doesn't make you a sucker... silly boy? ?Roll Eyes

But personally? . . . I would track down Steven Tyler and proclaim my undying love? ?love

hihi

So you would declare your undying love for a man that you have never met. Sounds juvenile and asinine, sorry.

And why not be cruel? If there is no God, no final reward or punishment, why should people treat other people humanly? If there are no external factors binding, why not act as we want? And who?s to say what is cruel, not cruel, right or wrong? Those are all human creations, social constructions.

Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 01:47:12 AM »

So you would declare your undying love for a man that you have never met. Sounds juvenile and asinine, sorry.

Don't be sorry, sweetie.? I was just kidding ...? Roll Eyes

And why not be cruel? If there is no God, no final reward or punishment, why should people treat other people humanly? If there are no external factors binding, why not act as we want? And who?s to say what is cruel, not cruel, right or wrong? Those are all human creations, social constructions.

Why would you be cruel?? Or rather, why would you try to cause someone else pain?? And I asked you first, genius.

"She was queen for about an hour...? after that, shit got sour... She took all I ever had.? No sign of guilt.? No feeling of bad, no..."
RichardNixon
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:52:24 AM »

Why not? The question is, without God, is their a moral compass? And who's to say what is right or wrong? Who sets the standard?
Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 01:55:52 AM »

Why not? The question is, without God, is their a moral compass? And who's to say what is right or wrong? Who sets the standard?

No, I asked you why first, smartass! 

Grin

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 01:58:56 AM »

People who care set the standards. Some things you just know. And as for acting as you want, some people are happy being nice to others, rather than causing chaos all the time. Peace is bliss.
RichardNixon
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 02:00:16 AM »

And I am answering your question by (1) turning the table on your question and (2) asking your question in the context of who is the ultimate judge of morality.

1. Why be kind?
2. Why be cruel?

This is getting redundant, but I will ask again; who is to say what is right or wrong? Is it not all subjective? Without God or reward or punishment, why should we act one way or another?
RichardNixon
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 02:04:23 AM »

People who care set the standards. Some things you just know. And as for acting as you want, some people are happy being nice to others, rather than causing chaos all the time. Peace is bliss.

Why are some people "happy to be nice to others"?

By "acting nice to others" Are they just not

A. Being positively reinforced with praise?
B. Being negatively reinforced by the removal of guilt?
?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 02:06:04 AM »

Say you knew for certain that God didn?t exist and that there was no afterlife, would you act any differently?

No.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 02:06:28 AM »

1. Why be kind?
2. Why be cruel?

Is it not all subjective? Without God or reward or punishment, why should we act one way or another?

It's obviously subjective.

Take God and reward away and you're left with mortal punishment. For example, if you kill someone, that person's family might kill you or someone you love. It's an endless vicious cycle.
Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 02:07:57 AM »

?

Hell no. ?

Personally, I feel much happier when I'm kind to others. ?Being cruel would not make me happy, whether God is around or not.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 02:11:05 AM »

Hell no. 

Personally, I feel much happier when I'm kind to others.  Being cruel would not make me happy, whether God is around or not.

Indeed.

It is all about intent anyway isn't it?

If you are acting kind for your own selfish reasons then you are lying to yourself as well as God (if you believe in her.)

RichardNixon
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 02:14:15 AM »

?

Hell no.?

Personally, I feel much happier when I'm kind to others.? Being cruel would not make me happy, whether God is around or not.

Indeed.

If you are acting kind for your own selfish reasons then you are lying to yourself as well as God (if you believe in her.)

God probably is a woman. 
RichardNixon
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 02:15:24 AM »

?

Hell no.?

Personally, I feel much happier when I'm kind to others.? Being cruel would not make me happy, whether God is around or not.

Indeed.

But how will you know for sure why you're acting the way you are?
Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 02:15:48 AM »

Indeed.

Are you saying I'm selfish?? Huh??

Why is everybody mean tonight?? ?Cry

Going to sleep, before I say something else dumb ? Embarrassed

RichardNixon
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 02:18:04 AM »

1. Why be kind?
2. Why be cruel?

Is it not all subjective? Without God or reward or punishment, why should we act one way or another?

It's obviously subjective.

Take God and reward away and you're left with mortal punishment. For example, if you kill someone, that person's family might kill you or someone you love. It's an endless vicious cycle.

This makes sense. Act kind for your own benefit. Don't hurt others so you wont be hurt. A survival instinct, to pass on the genes. An innate biological basis for "morality." ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: