Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Some Thoughts About Brokeback Mountain/Sexuality
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Thoughts About Brokeback Mountain/Sexuality  (Read 21632 times)
Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2006, 02:36:38 AM »

Yet the number of people I know that flat refuse to see this movie is amazing.? They aren't "gay bashers" or openly homophobic.? They probably don't consider themselves anti-gay in any way.? But there is something so deep in their unconscious that won't allow them to open themselves up enough to even watch this movie? They say "I'm just not interested."

I dont usually get into this type of debates, but I just have to now. Why is it so hard to believe that people just dont want to see the movie because their just not interested? I dunno maybe its just me, but when I tend to not want to see a movie or whatever its not because of anything other then Im just plain not interested. So I honestly don't know how anyone could say people dont want to see it just because its a gay movie.? Undecided

I agree.?

I have yet to see this film.? Alot of people automatically assume that I haven't seen it because it's a "gay movie" but that has nothing to do with it.? I just haven't had much desire to watch it...? and no time? ?Undecided

"She was queen for about an hour...? after that, shit got sour... She took all I ever had.? No sign of guilt.? No feeling of bad, no..."
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2006, 06:07:33 AM »

You might be right about controlling the population part, but if you think about it properly without your PC head on it's fairly un-natural.

I'm not having a pop at gay people btw, each to their own, as long as it doesn't affect me I don't mind!? ok

It is certainly a minority, but so are many things in nature. Sometimes the minority is just another part of the machine. And that does not mean it is not "natural."

The last thing I am is PC. Got me way wrong on that one.

I wasn't refering specifically to you when I said without your PC head on!

That's a hatrick for Doull
SLCPUNK
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2006, 09:40:44 AM »

I wasn't refering specifically to you when I said without your PC head on!

Oh.......that whole "your" thing mislead me........... Tongue

But I will say "your" too when I write an example.........
Sterlingdog
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:51 AM »

Yet the number of people I know that flat refuse to see this movie is amazing.  They aren't "gay bashers" or openly homophobic.  They probably don't consider themselves anti-gay in any way.  But there is something so deep in their unconscious that won't allow them to open themselves up enough to even watch this movie  They say "I'm just not interested."

I dont usually get into this type of debates, but I just have to now. Why is it so hard to believe that people just dont want to see the movie because their just not interested? I dunno maybe its just me, but when I tend to not want to see a movie or whatever its not because of anything other then Im just plain not interested. So I honestly don't know how anyone could say people dont want to see it just because its a gay movie.  Undecided

Rarely is anything so simple.  And while I'm sure people truly aren't interested, its why they aren't that interests me.  Not only that, but people get downright defensive and almost angry when they state they aren't interested.  Why?  I think its because the premise of the movie bothers them on a (usually) unconscious level. 

There are reasons why certain things appeal to us and others don't.  I won't watch movies about retarded people because I have certain issues with the subject.  What I'm saying is that people who refuse to open up their mind to the idea that they might enjoy this movie have some issues with it.  I suspect that it is to protect current ideas and not have to change them.  Our minds are very skillful at avoiding information that would force a change in ideas; its a kind of defense mechanism.

Keep in mind that I'm a behavior analyst, and overthinking things like this is actually fun for me.   Smiley
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2006, 11:53:53 AM »

I haven't seen the movie, no idea if I will or not.

I think you are right about the exposure thing Markus.
cos most people who has something against gay people usually refuse to even think about it.
to get used to the idea of something, you either need to think about it a lot, or get exposed to it IMO.

I have nothing against homosexuality. Im not gay, but I understand it perfectly and I don't think about that more than I do anything else now.
I admit, I wasn't as open to the whole thing when I was younger, maybe 5 years ago.
but I have given it lots of thought, and I see it everywhere. and I am completely 100% openminded to it now.
I can look at guys making out without cringing too, no problem, but I'd rather not see more than that Grin

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2006, 12:29:27 PM »

Yet the number of people I know that flat refuse to see this movie is amazing.? They aren't "gay bashers" or openly homophobic.? They probably don't consider themselves anti-gay in any way.? But there is something so deep in their unconscious that won't allow them to open themselves up enough to even watch this movie? They say "I'm just not interested."

I dont usually get into this type of debates, but I just have to now. Why is it so hard to believe that people just dont want to see the movie because their just not interested? I dunno maybe its just me, but when I tend to not want to see a movie or whatever its not because of anything other then Im just plain not interested. So I honestly don't know how anyone could say people dont want to see it just because its a gay movie.? Undecided

Rarely is anything so simple.? And while I'm sure people truly aren't interested, its why they aren't that interests me.? Not only that, but people get downright defensive and almost angry when they state they aren't interested.? Why??

Personally, it's not feeling defensive or angry... just not understanding why it's such a big deal.? ?

"She was queen for about an hour...? after that, shit got sour... She took all I ever had.? No sign of guilt.? No feeling of bad, no..."
MCT
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2006, 12:34:09 PM »

What is this...sexuality...that you speak of? Is it like when you poop?
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2006, 12:57:45 PM »

What is this...sexuality...that you speak of? Is it like when you poop?
in this movie it's something similar, yes  yes

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
MCT
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2006, 12:58:46 PM »

In through the out door like?
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »

In through the out door like?
something like that... cowboys going in through the out door.... yeah sounds like a really interesting movie doesnt it?
MCT
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2006, 02:38:09 PM »

Sounds more interesting than you. Sorry.
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2006, 04:00:25 PM »

Sounds more interesting than you. Sorry.

then go see the movie Gay boy. Sorry
MCT
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2006, 06:03:52 PM »

Looks like someone's having a little trouble climbing Comeback Mountain...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2006, 06:25:43 PM »

hahaha, that was hot!

You wanna make out?
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »

wtf does that mean? 
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2006, 09:42:50 PM »

Brokeback mountain is gettin all the attention regarding it being a gay film.

Don't forget about another fine film, "SuperTwink"

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Sterlingdog
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2006, 09:50:21 PM »

Brokeback mountain is gettin all the attention regarding it being a gay film.

Don't forget about another fine film, "SuperTwink"

Did you actually see that?  Where?  On Demand?
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2006, 09:54:45 PM »

Yet the number of people I know that flat refuse to see this movie is amazing.  They aren't "gay bashers" or openly homophobic.  They probably don't consider themselves anti-gay in any way.  But there is something so deep in their unconscious that won't allow them to open themselves up enough to even watch this movie  They say "I'm just not interested."

I dont usually get into this type of debates, but I just have to now. Why is it so hard to believe that people just dont want to see the movie because their just not interested? I dunno maybe its just me, but when I tend to not want to see a movie or whatever its not because of anything other then Im just plain not interested. So I honestly don't know how anyone could say people dont want to see it just because its a gay movie.  Undecided

Rarely is anything so simple.  And while I'm sure people truly aren't interested, its why they aren't that interests me.  Not only that, but people get downright defensive and almost angry when they state they aren't interested.  Why?  I think its because the premise of the movie bothers them on a (usually) unconscious level. 

There are reasons why certain things appeal to us and others don't.  I won't watch movies about retarded people because I have certain issues with the subject.  What I'm saying is that people who refuse to open up their mind to the idea that they might enjoy this movie have some issues with it.  I suspect that it is to protect current ideas and not have to change them.  Our minds are very skillful at avoiding information that would force a change in ideas; its a kind of defense mechanism.

Keep in mind that I'm a behavior analyst, and overthinking things like this is actually fun for me.   Smiley

I think your over anaylising why people dont want to see it. The majority of people who dont want t see it because its not interesting dont care about gays one way or another. Its just like any other movie really, I never saw the 50 cent movie either. So does that mean I'm racist? No, it just means I dont find it interesting. People find different topics interesting, some dont really find a movie about gay cowboys interesting. I can see where there coming from cause I dont find it interesting either. It doesnt mean people are homophobic, because I can watch will and grace (i use to have this gf who loved that show) and just laugh my ass off.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2006, 04:10:57 PM »

I just question people who are afraid of gay people.

It just seems so neanderthal in the 21st century to be fearful of Gays.

they are human like everyone else.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Sterlingdog
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2006, 04:37:29 PM »

I think your over anaylising why people dont want to see it. The majority of people who dont want t see it because its not interesting dont care about gays one way or another. Its just like any other movie really, I never saw the 50 cent movie either. So does that mean I'm racist? No, it just means I dont find it interesting. People find different topics interesting, some dont really find a movie about gay cowboys interesting. I can see where there coming from cause I dont find it interesting either. It doesnt mean people are homophobic, because I can watch will and grace (i use to have this gf who loved that show) and just laugh my ass off.

Ok, first off, I'm not talking about you personally because I don't know you.  I'm speaking in generalities.  But what I said stands, there are reasons why certain things interest us and others don't.  Just because you aren't consciously aware of what those reasons are, doesn't mean they don't exist.  That's why they are unconscious, you can't access them with your waking mind. 

As far as Will and Grace or The Birdcage, or any other funny gay characters, I don't think enjoying them makes a person any less homophobic.  I think we (heterosexuals) like to see gay people placed in easily identifiable boxes.  They are not threatening, and we can laugh at them, and sort of keep them in a place where we are comfortable with them.  At least in America, that is how we have accepted gays into the mainstream - as a joke. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: