Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 444528 times)
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2580 on: June 26, 2011, 06:53:03 AM »

Lou Reed?? What the fuck... Huh

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2581 on: June 26, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »

Im excited about it.  As much as I wasn't a fan of about half of the Load/Reload songs, Metallica successfully broke out of that "thrash metal" box.  "Garage Inc" and "S&M" solidified them as a hard rock/metal band that can perform any genre of rock.  This Lou Reed/Metallica record should be a lot of fun.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2582 on: June 29, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »

Lou Reed on Working With Metallica

6/29/11

Reed?s next project, a not-yet-titled album with Metallica, also has its origins in theater: The onetime Velvet Underground leader wrote songs for a staging of Frank Wedekind?s classic femme fatale Luluplays, which inspired the record.

What about staging Lulu with the music you did with Metallica? When are we ever going to hear the results of that session?
I don?t think Metallica wants to be a band on Broadway! [Chuckles.] They?re metalheads. They?re not going to do that. But the version of the Lulu music I did with Metallica is awe-inspiring. It?s maybe the best thing done by anyone, ever. It could create another planetary system. I?m not joking, and I?m not being egotistical.

You scrapped half of Lulu for the stage version. What?s the Metallica version like?
There are two stories Lulu?s based on, and I rewrote Lulu from the get-go, taking the original plot ? mostly Earth Spirit, not Pandora?s Box ? and followed it essentially from the point of view of Lulu and the various people who love her, until she gets involved with Jack the Ripper. The basics. So the Metallica version will have absolutely all of that and more. It?ll probably come out by November.

That?s good news.
You have no idea. It?s the psyche of Poe, the great psychic marauder, applied to Lulu.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/lou_reed.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2583 on: June 30, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »

From Mick Wall:

Jun 30, 2011

M: Dave Mustaine?s influence on Metallica is disputed in heavy-metal circles and a topic brought up in Enter Night. Some say he played a significant role in shaping the band. Others claim he was just a loudmouth too willing to take credit. What?s your take?

MW: He was both. Without him, no them. Without them, no him. The openly sad part is that Dave has never gotten over being kicked out of the band. He should realize it was the making of both him and them. They could not have carried on together and been as successful and Metallica and Megadeth eventually became.

M: What about his ousting? Was it really about drinking, or was it more about egos?

MW: It was about drinks, drugs, fights, and the fact that Dave was so out of control. All of which made him a great guitar player and character onstage but a royal pain-in-the-ass off it.
http://illinoisentertainer.com/2011/06/caught-in-a-mosh-july-2011/comment-page-1/

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #2584 on: July 04, 2011, 05:00:22 AM »

lol you should search hitlers reaction to this

html sucks
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #2585 on: July 27, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »

Is this not the coolest thing you've seen? God I love Metallica

METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"Thirty years of METALLICA... can you believe it? We think it's cause for a major celebration!

"You've been asking for a while now, 'Just what the hell are you going to do to mark 30 years as a band?' closely followed by, 'Why don't we have more exclusive shows for fan-club members?'

"We've heard you loud and clear and are beyond psyched to announce that the week of December 5, 2011 will be a full-on METALLICA week in the Bay Area, more specifically we will be playing four shows for Met Club members only at the historic Fillmore in San Francisco on December 5, 7, 9, and 10 to celebrate our 30th anniversary. These unique shows will include special guests and events, rare songs, varied set lists, odds and ends, and all the nutty stuff you expect from METALLICA... fun for the entire family!

"Come to the Bay Area and spend the week with us to not only close out 2011 out with a bang, but to celebrate over three decades worth of craziness.

"Participate in the entire week of festivities with special four-pack tickets (one ticket for each of the four shows) and automatic entry into the contests for various other special events, available for the clever price of $19.81 (get it??). If you can't join us for the full week, we'll have individual show tickets too and as you can see we're going back to early '80s ticket pricing (but not the hair!)... single-show tickets will be just $6.00 each. Both four packs and individual show tickets will be available for fan-club members only through a reservation system and we do have to add facility fees, blah, blah. Clubbers can log in for all the details... we're taking reservations through August 8.

"Hope to see you for a week of madness in December!"

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2586 on: July 28, 2011, 03:41:46 AM »

Damn that is cool. I wish i was a member and in the bay area.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2587 on: August 20, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

METALLICA's Project With LOU REED: Release Date Announced - Aug. 19, 2011

According to the official web site of METALLICA's project with legendary singer and former VELVET UNDERGROUND frontman Lou Reed, the musicians' collaborative album will be released on November 1 in North America and one day earlier (October 31) in the rest of the world.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162215

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2588 on: August 21, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

The new Metallica Lou Reed album will be titled "Lulu." Undecided

The musical collaboration between Lou Reed and Metallica, "Lulu," is coming your way this Fall and this space will be your spot for all things Loutallica(!). We want to start sharing with you just how the "Lulu" project, recorded at HQ just a few short months ago, is coming together. As you can see this site is a work in progress and the plan is to build it before your very eyes. Please bear with us while we piece it all together!

"Lulu" was inspired by German expressionist writer Frank Wededkind's plays "Earth Spirit" and "Pandora's Box," which tell a story of a young abused dancer's life and relationships and are now collectively known as the "Lulu Plays." Since their publication in the early 1900's, the plays have been the inspiration for a silent film ("Pandora's Box," 1929), an opera, and countless other creative endeavors. Originally the lyrics and musical landscape were sketched out by Lou for a theatrical production in Berlin, but after coming together with the 'Tallica boys for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concerts in New York in 2009 all guilty parties knew they wanted to make more music together. Lou was inspired enough by that performance to recently ask the band to join him in taking his theatrical "Lulu" piece to the next level and so starting in early May of this year we were all camped out recording at HQ studios in Northern California, bringing us to today and ten complete songs.
We can't wait to share this music and the whole experience with you. Please visit us often... we'll be posting updates on a frequent basis.

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/

Song titles...

LULU

Available worldwide on October 31 and in North America on November 1

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)Junior Dad
7)
8)Mistress Dread
9)Pumping Blood
10)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:56:12 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2589 on: August 26, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »

The Story of the Big Four: ?Am I Evil??

Aug 26, 2011

REVOLVER Famously, most of you got up onstage and jammed on Diamond Head?s ?Am I Evil?? last year in Sofia, Bulgaria. How did that come together?

LARS ULRICH I think that we felt we should try and see if we can get everyone together. Also, there was the whole worldwide satellite thing. It seemed like an obvious place to share, there was just such a good vibe going on. We wanted to let the fans get a chance all over the world to share in that good vibe.

SCOTT IAN I think I was sitting in a bar with [Slipknot and Stone Sour vocalist] Corey Taylor somewhere a night or two before we actually did it, and I got a text from Kirk [Hammett, Metallica guitarist] saying, ?Hey, in Bulgaria we?re thinking about doing ?Am I Evil?? with everybody, so let your guys know.? And I wrote him back, ?Yeah, of course. We?re in.?

ULRICH The reason we picked ?Am I Evil?? is because obviously playing a Metallica song would?ve seemed a little selfish. All of the musicians would certainly share that thread in Diamond Head in terms of influence. It?s probably difficult to find a band that?s more responsible for, or at least indirectly responsible, for thrash metal. And ?Am I Evil?? is just a great, anthem-like song that also has the quality of not being super complicated. So it just seemed like the right kind of vibe to share with everybody for five minutes that wasn?t necessarily going to send people back to the rehearsal room for days on end. [Megadeth frontman Dave] Mustaine and a bunch of these guys obviously knew the riff, too, and it just seemed like a logical choice.

Read more: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/the-story-of-the-big-four-am-i-evil.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2590 on: September 06, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »

Cover art and track listing for "Lulu" here:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162881

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2591 on: September 14, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »

Audio of Lars on The Howard Stern show September 13th:

In six parts (the rest on the right)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mpxIxQp_10

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2592 on: September 18, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »

METALLICA And LOU REED: First 'Lulu' Audio Sample Is Here! - Sep. 18, 2011

An audio sample of the song "The View" ? taken from the forthcoming musical collaboration between Lou Reed and METALLICA, "Lulu" ? can be streamed at Amazon.com. The track, which will be released as a digital single on September 27, is also available for preview in the YouTube clip below.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=163436

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2593 on: September 21, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »

Jamie Cullum speaks to Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich in a special in-depth interview about the heavy metal musician's love of jazz.

Lars speaks about his childhood and the love he had for sport and music, before moving on to his father's influence as a jazz musician, and the impact that various jazz artists moving through his home had on his future works.

Audio here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0147j05

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2594 on: September 25, 2011, 09:21:02 PM »

Hear the first new song from the upcoming Metallica album:

Lou Reed & Metallica: The View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2595 on: September 25, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »

Lots of people are bashing it cause they don't get what it is. I actually kinda like it.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #2596 on: September 26, 2011, 12:05:30 AM »

Did James just sound even better than ever? Somg was ok, instrumentation was classic metallica.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2597 on: September 26, 2011, 02:56:21 AM »

Awful sound for Metallica tonight on the RIR webcast. Their sound guy should be punched. James sounded like he was singing in a tunnel for the first half of the show. It improved slightly as it progressed but still awful. RHCP last night sounded so much better.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2598 on: September 27, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »

Cliff Burton Remembered: Outtakes from Revolver?s Lars Ulrich Interview

Sep 27, 2011

Today marks the 25th anniversary of Metallica bassist Cliff Burton?s death. In remembrance of him, the band?s drummer Lars Ulrich (pictured left) gave a personal and emotional account of him in Revolver?s January/February ?Fallen Heroes? issue (available here). He had so many great stories about Burton, we couldn?t fit them in the magazine. So, in reverence, here is everything Ulrich had to say about Burton

REVOLVER What do you remember about the first time you saw him?
LARS ULRICH I had just never really seen anything quite like it. It was just unique and so original. And there was just this incredible stage presence and this uniqueness to the whole vibe. I had just never seen anything like it. It was new, it was different. And obviously you could tell there was an incredible ability, and there was a stage presence, and all this type of stuff wrapped up in this incredible type of personality. And I think we were a little intimidated by him in the beginning because he was just so unique.

But then as we got to know him a little bit, and I sort of started courting him to try and jump ship [from his band Trauma], then I started realizing he was a pretty chill dude. But he was also pretty firm on the fact that L.A. was not for him. ?Cause me and James were trying to get him to come down to L.A., and he just wasn?t into that. He was really rooted up here [near San Francisco], he really was a kind of a Northern California?almost a hillbilly like. I mean, there?s a lot of different vibes up here, and there?s definitely a kind of unique vibe in Castro Valley and Hayward and stuff. And he was a real, really rooted where it came from. And he was probably, certainly speaking for myself, I was much more of a gypsy. When we traveled and stuff like that, he was the first guy to want to go home. And he was the one who was probably at the strongest of roots of all of us. He had family and kind of a history. Me and James were more loners.

He seems like he was laidback.
He didn?t hurt people. He didn?t cross the line, but he was certainly always up for being part of stirring some shit up. But more like a rascal point of view then someone who was out to hurt people. So it was more fun and games. He would fake fight or whatever, throw some kind of fake punches, but he would never throw any real punches. I don?t think I ever saw Cliff in a fight. I don?t think I ever saw Cliff get into heated exchanges or anything. I mean, he was a pretty chill guy. And it never got nasty or unpleasant.

What are your fondest memories of him?
My fondest memories of Cliff are his total disregard for convention and his total disregard for playing things out the way you expected them. He was up to challenge the normalcy, to challenge the status quo, to just fuck with things musically, attitude-wise?the way he dressed, the way he carried himself, his sense of humor, his relationship with the music that inspired him, the music that he played. It was always very unconventional, and it was very unusual. You could certainly argue that me and James [Hetfield] at that time were more kind of the squarer guys, ?cause we were more like, ?Mot?rhead, Iron Maiden!? Heavy metal T-shirts, and long hair and bang our heads into the wall. Cliff was just so fast in his palette of things that he was into and things that were inspiring him and the things that he was doing. So it was definitely his music, and his attitude, and his approach towards life that really inspired me and James to broaden our horizons, broaden Metallica?s horizons musically. So when I think of Cliff, that?s what I think?that?s just kind of variety and unpredictability, you know.

What are some of the bands he turned you on to?
First of all, he was classically trained and really knew his way around classical music. He actually studied classical music at college. So he?s sitting there talking about Johann Sebastian Bach, talking about some of these kind of cool classical things. And I had heard some of these words thrown around when Richie Blackmore was talking about his influences, but it was not something I had ever been exposed to.

Then he was also really?you know, this whole Southern thing. I mean, obviously I was aware of Skynyrd and had an appreciation for some of their heavier moments. But he was so immersed in Skynyrd and .38 Special and ZZ Top and the Allman Brothers and all of these things that kind of came in the wake of that Black Oak Arkansas. And the Outlaws and all that stuff, there was a whole kind of thing there.

He was also really into a lot of kind of progressive stuff like Yes, and Peter Gabriel, and a lot of f prog rock. And he was a hardcore Rush fanatic. Certainly I had an appreciation of Rush, but not to the level that he did. So there was a whole kind of array of things.

When I met Cliff in ?81, I had been through a lot of different musical experiences myself. But at that time, the things that were inspiring me to play music and so on were?I can?t say that Lynyrd Skynyrd was a particularly big inspiration for me to start playing drums. It was much more narrow. Iron Maiden and Deep Purple and Judas Priest and Diamond Head and Angel Witch, and the stories been told a thousand times. And the New Wave of British Heavy Metal stuff, and Cliff was just so wide in his scope. I played him Diamond Head. He liked some of their stuff, he liked some of Iron Maiden?s energy. He liked Witchfinder General, some of that stuff. But he also, he was a little more selective in what he liked, where me and James were more sort of like, Dude, the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, it rocks! Where some of it you can argue 20, 30 years later was not as good some of the other stuff. There were hit and misses in there.

But Cliff was sort of into Peter Gabriel, the Police. Some of the stuff, I mean, it wasn?t the enemy because I was aware of the fact that there was musical integrity there. But I can?t tell you I knew much about what the Police were doing other then five songs I?d heard on the radio. But all of the sudden, in between the Diamond Head tapes and the Iron Maiden tapes being played on the tour buses and in the shitty vans, the fuckin? Police album Zenyatt? Mondatta would come on. Or what was that Yes album? 90125 or whatever. Some of that stuff would come on. It would just be nice. He loved to play some early ZZ Top. I just didn?t really know my way around Tres Hombres or the rest of those albums until Cliff started pounding them in our direction.

What do you think of him when you look back at it all now?
He was really cool. It was, obviously other than losing a brother, it would?ve been the more? I would?ve been interested to see what else he could?ve contributed, because it felt like we were just getting started. We just started playing ?Orion? again on the last run, in the last two weeks [when Metallica were preparing for the Big Four concert in April]. So playing ?Orion,? I think we played it like three times in the last two weeks. You sit there and all of a sudden go, Fuck! What a, just, incredible piece of music. And just so unique. And it would?ve been interesting to see what else would?ve been in that vast well of stuff that he could?ve shared with the rest of us. That will forever be the curiosity element. But I?m so glad that I got a chance to play with him for a couple, three years. And got a chance to know him, and got a chance to drink with him, and all the shenanigans that probably shouldn?t be printed in a nice, family publication like Revolver. But it definitely was a pretty nutty time, and at the time we certainly embraced what life was offering us. And accelerated it to a ?mach 10,? as James used to say on stage.

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/cliff-burton-remembered-outtakes-from-revolver%E2%80%99s-lars-ulrich-interview.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2599 on: October 18, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »

METALLICA And LOU REED: Audio Samples Of Entire 'Lulu' Album Available - Oct. 18, 2011

Audio samples of all the tracks that will appear on "Lulu", the musical collaboration between Lou Reed and METALLICA, can be streamed in the YouTube clip below (courtesy of Amazon.de.)

Due on November 1 in North America via Warner Bros. Records and one day earlier (October 31) in the rest of the world through Universal Music, the CD was co-produced by Reed, METALLICA, Hal Willner ? who has produced albums for Reed, Marianne Faithfull, and Laurie Anderson, among others ? and Greg Fidelman. Fidelman also mixed the record.

"Lulu" final track listing:

01. Brandenburg Gate (4:19)
02. The View (5:17)
03. Pumping Blood (7:24)
04. Mistress Dread (6:52)
05. Iced Honey (4:36)
06. Cheat On Me (11:26)
07. Frustration (8:33)
08. Little Dog (8:01)
09. Dragon (11:08)
10. Junior Dad (19:28)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164824
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:29:41 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: