Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:59:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English  (Read 20165 times)
Elrothiel
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »

Hehe! Well in about 3 or 4 years I'll totally be moving across the pond!

Gotta get my degree first though! smoking
sandman
Legend

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2006, 07:14:03 PM »

Wow...This article is awsome...I totally agree weith this guy, we should not have to adapt to immigrants ,they should have to adapt to us, it should be the same way if we want to go to there country, we should have to adapt to them

I disagree to some extent, like Pilferk was saying, its all about supply and demand.? If you go to a foreign country that relies heavily on english speaking tourists to drive their economy, the locals HAVE to learn english or they will not be able to do business with the tourists and thus, will lose money.? They are adapting to the foreign presence.

Same here in the US.? If I were to go into an old school Polish neighborhood here in NYC and start a business, the least I could do is learn a little bit of polish to help make a transaction.

Like Jayzme said though, being in NYC, different languages and cultures are seen/heard everyday here - so its no biggie to us.? I'm not sure what its like in CA so I really can't comment on it

I say to some extent though, b/c everytime I do go to a foreign country, I always try to learn basic words like "please, thank you, how much, etc....".

As for the whole immigration debate, I'm on the fence - I think part of it is racist, I think part of it is a little too "to the left", I think full amnesty isn't fair - anyone living here illegally should be paying back taxes, but a full deportation of all illegals is just retarded (and impossible).

I think some of it is politically driven.? Call me a jaded democrat, but when did this become an issue really?? I doubt the illegal immigrant population has suddenly exploded the past year or two right?? This has been going on for decades no?? I see this as the new "gay rights" issue that the Reps are drumming up (creating an issue instead of focusing on the REAL issues) to gain support in the upcoming elections and for 2008.

Most of all, I don't think anyone in this country has the right to tell someone else what language they need to learn or you can't come in here without passing a test.? That didn't happen before, why should it start happening now?? I imagine the vast majority of immigrants from mexico aren't sitting on their asses collecting welfare, they are looking for work (that most americans wouldn't do) to send home to their families or to save so they can go back to their country with some money.

This is America afterall.? The land of opportunity.? If you start doing things like that it will only become more and more rules and regulations.? And this isnt' "liberal paranoia" its the truth.? you give an inch, you will lose a yard.? Freedom isn't shades of gray its black and white

actually, this guy is not just pandering to the large majority of his customers. there are plenty of non-english speaking people in philly. and LOTS of foreigners in philly that will be offended by this.

this guy just doesn't care. he believes in what he is saying and he is willing to stand behind it. he's taking a risk of losing business. and taking a huge risk that some special interest groups will make sure he loses business.

this is a ballzy move.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »

this story finally made national headlines. and people are pissed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060608/ap_on_re_us/english_only_cheesesteaks;_ylt=AsdZxeNamYYLei.Lw8lsU8IDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDhxNDFzBHNlYwNtZW5ld3M-

PHILADELPHIA - Bistec con queso? Not at Geno's Steaks.

An English-only ordering policy has thrust one of Philadelphia's best-known cheesesteak joints into the national immigration debate.

Situated in a South Philadelphia immigrant neighborhood, Geno's ? which together with its chief rival, Pat's King of Steaks, forms the epicenter of an area described as "ground zero for cheesesteaks" ? has posted small signs telling customers, "This Is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING `SPEAK ENGLISH.'"

"They don't know how lucky they are. All we're asking them to do is learn the English language," said Geno's owner Joseph Vento, 66. "We're out to help these people, but they've got to help themselves, too."

Vento, whose grandparents struggled to learn English after immigrating from Sicily in the 1920s, said he posted the sign about six months ago amid concerns over immigration reform and the increasing number of customers who could not order in English when they wanted Philly's gooey, greasy specialty ? fried steak, sliced or chopped, in a long roll, with cheese and fried onions.

Of course, it's not as if native Philadelphians speak the King's English either. A Philadelphian might order a cheesesteak by saying something like, "Yo, gimme a cheesesteak wit, will youse?" ("Wit," or "with," means with fried onions.) To which the counterman might reply: "Youse want fries widdat?"

The traditionally Italian community near Geno's has become more diverse over the decades. Immigrants from Asia and Latin America have moved in, joining longtime residents and young professionals seeking reasonably priced rowhouses. In the past 10 years, an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 Mexican immigrants ? many of them here illegally, community leaders say ? have settled in South Philly.

Vento said his staff is glad to help non-native speakers order in English and has never turned someone away because of a language barrier.

But the policy has "really upset a lot of a people," said Brad Baldia of Day Without An Immigrant, a coalition of immigrant groups. "For some people, I think we're just going to say, `Le gusta Pat's.'"

Juntos, a Hispanic neighborhood organization, said it plans to send people to Geno's to try to order in Spanish and may pursue court action, depending on what happens.

"His grandparents encountered the same racism and the same xenophobia," said Peter Bloom, the group's director. "Why would he begin that process over again?"

Vento said he has gotten plenty of criticism and threats. One person told him they hoped one his many neon signs flames out and burns the place down, he said. But he said he plans to hold his ground.

Customers placing orders on a recent morning seemed unfazed.

Angelica Marquez, 22 and originally from Puerto Rico, ordered in well-spoken English, but said some of her relatives struggle with the language. "They always come and just say `cheesesteak,'" Marquez said, adding that the policy "bothers her some" but not enough to keep her away.

When a non-English speaking customer showed up at the window a short time later, a clerk patiently coached him through the process. Eventually, both said "cheesesteak."

Vento, a short, fiery man with a ninth-grade education, arms covered in tattoos and a large diamond ring in his ear, also sells "freedom fries" to protest France's opposition to the Iraq war. He rails against Mumia Abu-Jamal, the black man who was convicted of killing police Officer Daniel Faulkner in 1981 and has become a cause celebre among some death penalty opponents. Memorials to Faulkner are posted at his shop.

Those who market the city, often using images of Geno's and other famous steak shops, are watching with concern.

"I certainly wouldn't want a national audience to think it represented all of the wonderful cheesesteak makers in the whole city," said Meryl Levitz, president and chief executive of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp. "This isn't representative of the Philadelphia attitude."

Competitors are seizing on the controversy.

Tony Luke's issued a statement saying it welcomes all customers "whether or not they speak a `wit' of English."

And a manager at Pat's, Kathy Smith, said of Geno's English-only policy: "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. I'd rather listen to the Spanish than the foul language of the college students."

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Ellroy
Rocker

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2006, 08:54:48 PM »

This is a difficult issue. I kinda side with the guy from Geno's, but I think he's taking it a bit too far. I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting someone to order in English at a restaurant in a primarily English speaking country, but this dude is being a little bit of a jerk about it. Also, Philly is a major city and no one in their right mind should expect a major city to be unilingual. However if I moved to France I wouldn't expect everyone to cater to me because I didn't speak French. Quite the opposite. I would learn French so that I could function in society.
              This issue really isn't about immigration at all. I don't see why it's intertwined with this, but let me just say that you're rather foolish if you are against immigration and want to deport all the illegals. First, our economy would completely collapse (I'm no economist but that's what I hear and it makes sense). And second, are we forgetting how against immigration this country used to be. Anyone here of Irish descent would not be here today if the crazies back in the day had their way. We Irish were once considered foreigners to the natives (who weren't native at all, just in the country a little earlier than the Irish and Chinese).

"So, for those who believe in the cause...thank you for your support." - Axl Rose, May 15th 2006
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2006, 09:12:29 PM »

I don't know that he's really 'being a jerk about it'. I mean, he probably sees alot of the same people week after week. And it's not like it's a "Restaurant" This place sells cheesesteaks, sometimes with onions, maybe an occasional chicken cheesesteak, and cheesefries now & then. It's not like he's demanding they pass an English test, he just would expect they learn to say the fuckin' word "Cheesesteak" after going there a few months.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2006, 09:26:30 PM »

For years, thay have had concerts for people to watch. Bands ranging from Kool and the Gang, Warrant, Slaughter, Pat Benatar, and a bunch of bands I cant remember over the years. Now, its 100% hispanic bands. No american performers whatsoever.

Well this is about as implicitly racist as you can get...

Do you know that these performers arent Americans?

As for this ridiculous Pats policy, thats his prerogative I suppose.  He serves "Freedom fries," what do you expect?  Numb-skulled nationalism is really easy for some people to identify with and its one of my least favorite aspects of this country. 
Ellroy
Rocker

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2006, 10:06:27 PM »

I don't know that he's really 'being a jerk about it'. I mean, he probably sees alot of the same people week after week. And it's not like it's a "Restaurant" This place sells cheesesteaks, sometimes with onions, maybe an occasional chicken cheesesteak, and cheesefries now & then. It's not like he's demanding they pass an English test, he just would expect they learn to say the fuckin' word "Cheesesteak" after going there a few months.

I've gone back and re-read the original article and I take back what I said about him being a jerk. Some of the other people interviewed in the article are harsh about non-English speakers and the stuff about immigration in the 19th centruy is harsh, but he never says anything that should warrant me calling him a jerk. He is best quote is ""If you can't tell me what you want, I can't serve you," he said. "It's up to you. If you can't read, if you can't say the word cheese, how can I communicate with you - and why should I have to bend?" " A reasonable complaint in my opinion and I should have been more careful.
           That being said, he does serve "freedom fries" which automatically makes him a douchebag. Not a jerk, but a douchebag.

"So, for those who believe in the cause...thank you for your support." - Axl Rose, May 15th 2006
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »

For years, thay have had concerts for people to watch. Bands ranging from Kool and the Gang, Warrant, Slaughter, Pat Benatar, and a bunch of bands I cant remember over the years. Now, its 100% hispanic bands. No american performers whatsoever.

Well this is about as implicitly racist as you can get...

Do you know that these performers arent Americans??
Roll Eyes Here's the deal. Its in California. Alot of us who have lived here our whole lives speak english. When going out for entertainment, you assume it will be of english speaking variety. If I go to Great America now, it is like walking into Tijuana. The minute you walk into the park, you will have mexican music pounding away at your eardrums during your whole visit there. Doesn't matter whether you are in the section where the concert is at, or you are on a roller coaster, or eating a plate of nachos. That shit is being shoved down our throats. If that's racist, then so be it. If it sounds like fun to you, go to their website and purchase a few season passes.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2006, 04:45:49 PM »

Roll Eyes Here's the deal. Its in California. Alot of us who have lived here our whole lives speak english. When going out for entertainment, you assume it will be of english speaking variety. If I go to Great America now, it is like walking into Tijuana. The minute you walk into the park, you will have mexican music pounding away at your eardrums during your whole visit there. Doesn't matter whether you are in the section where the concert is at, or you are on a roller coaster, or eating a plate of nachos. That shit is being shoved down our throats. If that's racist, then so be it. If it sounds like fun to you, go to their website and purchase a few season passes.

Ill take that as a "no."  So essentially, you assume these Hispanic bands arent Americans when really you have no idea. 
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »

Juntos, a Hispanic neighborhood organization, said it plans to send people to Geno's to try to order in Spanish and may pursue court action, depending on what happens.

See thats how fucking smart the mexicans are... A guy puts up a sign in his OWN resturant .. basicly if you cant speak english dont come here to my place
and the mexicans hear about it and want to go there just to fuck with him...

i esp like the part where they might pursue court action... wow they sure would love to use the american legal system to make some free money off a hard working guy with his own buisness but they didnt give two shits about the legal system when they came here or went to the guys restraunt to fuck with they guy... maybe they can make some free money and spend their days sitting in the hammock drinking corona's eating tacos and taking a siesta...

fuck if they are here just to fuck with shit go back to mexico or where ever they are from and fuck with thier own people.. not a hard working man who wants to set a rule in his own shop if you dont like his rule dont go there.. simple.. i dont like dress codes but im not gonna show up at a suit and tie joint wearing a basketball jersey either....  fucking mexicans are so fucking stupid.

fucking beaners.

btw im not a racist so dont label me as one you fucking drama queens on this board... i hate everyone...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 09:50:48 PM by kockstar999 » Logged
estranged.1098
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2006, 09:57:28 PM »

Who said anything about Mexicans?
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2006, 10:00:24 PM »

Who said anything about Mexicans?

do mexicans speak spanish? "hispanic neighborhood orginization".... in plain english... Mexicans
estranged.1098
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2006, 10:13:44 PM »

Actually hispanic doesn't mean Mexicans.

Anyway, if you're concerned that "poor Geno" will lose money in court then maybe it's the American law that you should be complaining about? They should add something about being ok to be racist there don't you think...
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2006, 10:24:35 PM »

Actually hispanic doesn't mean Mexicans.
actually in this case it does.. stop trying to split hairs and show how smart you are that hispanic doesnt mean mexicans.. how about if i change my post to "beaners"

Anyway, if you're concerned that "poor Geno" will lose money in court then maybe it's the American law that you should be complaining about?
im not concerned.. i dont give a shit.. i dont have to complain about the american law im complainng about those who are abusing it...

They should add something about being ok to be racist there don't you think...

wtf are you talking about... stupid
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2006, 11:56:58 PM »

Ill take that as a "no."? So essentially, you assume these Hispanic bands arent Americans when really you have no idea.?
At what point did I say the mexican band was illegal immigrants? Please point that out. You are trying to twist it into something else. I'm an american. When I go to an american establishment, I want to hear english being spoken, not spanish. Let them build a Great America in Tijuana if they want to hear that shit.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2006, 04:26:19 AM »

everything will soon be solved we have cameras at the hopping spot hihi
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2006, 05:03:12 AM »

At what point did I say the mexican band was illegal immigrants?

confused

Heres what I said:

you assume these Hispanic bands arent Americans

Heres what led me to make that statement:

Now, its 100% hispanic bands. No american performers whatsoever.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2006, 07:43:59 AM »

Oh Cmon Booker!! You knew what I meant when I said that.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2006, 12:51:01 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13272368/

Philly officials eye eatery?s English-only sign
City agency expected to file complaint against cheesesteak owner?s effort

PHILADELPHIA - City officials are expected to file a complaint Monday against an English-only ordering policy at Geno?s Steaks, one of Philadelphia?s best-known cheesesteak joints that has entered the national immigration debate.

Situated in a South Philadelphia immigrant neighborhood, Geno?s has posted small signs telling customers, ?This Is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING ?SPEAK ENGLISH.??

?We?re alleging that the sign itself is enough of an unwelcoming message that it may violate the Fair Practices Act,? Rachel Lawton, acting executive director of the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Owner Joseph Vento, 66, whose grandparents struggled to learn English after immigrating from Sicily in the 1920s, said he posted the sign about six months ago amid concerns over immigration reform and the increasing number of customers who could not order in English when they wanted Philly?s gooey, greasy specialty ? fried steak, sliced or chopped, in a long roll, with cheese and fried onions.

?They don?t know how lucky they are. All we?re asking them to do is learn the English language,? said Vento. ?We?re out to help these people, but they?ve got to help themselves, too.?

Diverse community
The traditionally Italian community near Geno?s has become more diverse over the decades. Immigrants from Asia and Latin America have moved in, joining longtime residents and young professionals seeking reasonably priced rowhouses. In the past 10 years, an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 Mexican immigrants ? many of them here illegally, community leaders say ? have settled in South Philly.

Vento said his staff is glad to help non-native speakers order in English and has never turned someone away because of a language barrier.

The Inquirer also quoted Mary Catherine Roper, a spokeswoman for the American Civil Liberties Union, who said Geno?s ?has a right to express its opinion, however offensive. ... But there are specific limitations on places of public accommodation, because they are supposed to be available to everyone.?

A city councilman quoted in the paper said the signs were ?divisive and mean-spirited.?

Cheesesteaks and ?freedom fries?
When a non-English speaking customer showed up at the window a short time later, a clerk patiently coached him through the process. Eventually, both said ?cheesesteak.?

Vento, a short, fiery man with a ninth-grade education, arms covered in tattoos and a large diamond ring in his ear, also sells ?freedom fries? to protest France?s opposition to the Iraq war. He rails against Mumia Abu-Jamal, the black man who was convicted of killing police Officer Daniel Faulkner in 1981 and has become a cause celebre among some death penalty opponents. Memorials to Faulkner are posted at his shop.

Vento said he has gotten plenty of criticism and threats. One person told him they hoped one his many neon signs flames out and burns the place down, he said. But he said he plans to hold his ground.

Competitors are seizing on the controversy.

Tony Luke?s issued a statement saying it welcomes all customers ?whether or not they speak a ?wit? of English.?

And a manager at Pat?s, Kathy Smith, said of Geno?s English-only policy: ?That?s the most ridiculous thing I?ve ever heard in my life. I?d rather listen to the Spanish than the foul language of the college students.?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2006, 12:54:35 PM »

Reverse racism bullshit. I hope that guy doesn't cave under pressure. If they refuse to learn english. go look for a cheesesteak in mexico or asia.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: