Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 01:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  'Rocky Balboa' The movie is one of the years BEST' According to AICN REVIEW
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Rocky Balboa' The movie is one of the years BEST' According to AICN REVIEW  (Read 32668 times)
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »

i dont think i'm gonna read any more reviews or anything, i dont want the reviewers to give away even the little details. i want to go in totally oblivious, since i mean the plot is already pretty clear cut from the trailer so i want everything else to a be a surprise.

i'm trying not to think about the ending cuz i really can't even make up my mind what i want to happen. who knows im sure stallone has something up his sleeve!

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »

Lol, I remember seeing rocky 3 at the cinema, we went to the last showing of the night, (just after pub closing) The place was packed and when Balboa started to get the upper hand on clubber, each to a man, we all stood and started chanting, Rockyyy, Rockyyyy,   Fuck, I remember that now with a huge smile on my face... Everyone drunkenly hugging each other at the end.

Anyway that memory, has made up my mind to watch this at the cinema. (after pub closing) I hope he does win, there will be a fucking riot otherwise.... hihi

Keep em under your wheels.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »

The first Rocky movie I saw was part III;  I felt at the time that it was my favorite movie ever, so I naturally decided to watch the original Rocky on tape.    What a disorienting experience.  I was not expecting dialogue like this:

Rocky (lecturing young girl in the neighborhood):  "...that's the way guys are. They laugh when ya talk dirty. They think you're cute. But after awhile, you get a reputation and that's it. You get no respect. Ya understand? Ya get no respect. I gotta use a bad word - WHORE...You don't really have to be one, you just act like one and that's it...They don't remember you, they remember the rep...You hang out with nice people, you get nice friends, ya understand? You hang out with smart people, you get smart friends. You hang out with yo-yo's, you get yo-yo friends. You see, simple mathematics."

Young Girl: "Screw you, CREEPO!!!" (then runs away)
guns_n_motley
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2006, 02:16:13 PM »

about 1 week till its out! Grin

cant wait!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »

I have a chance to see a screening this Thursday...but I'm not sure I'm going to go.

If I do, I'll report back.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2006, 05:05:58 PM »

U should go Thursday man...I hear you might get VIP stuff, but even if not its FREE and you'll be the first to see it.  Where is your thursday showing at?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2006, 08:44:08 AM »

U should go Thursday man...I hear you might get VIP stuff, but even if not its FREE and you'll be the first to see it.  Where is your thursday showing at?

The problem is I have a very minor, but long scheduled, medical procedure scheduled for early Friday AM.  I'm debating whether I really want to be out late on Thursday night before hand.

I'm not sure about the VIP stuff.  This isn't one of the "official" premieres, it's just a press screening.  I'm not sure if I can say where the screening is, exactly, because I'm not the member of the press...I'm just tagging along as a guest...so I'm not sure what the "protocol" is on this one.  I'll ask and if he says it's ok to say WHERE the screening is, I'll post it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2006, 02:16:50 PM »

Recent interview with Stallone...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=alipour/061213
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2006, 11:21:57 PM »

The first Rocky movie I saw was part III;? I felt at the time that it was my favorite movie ever, so I naturally decided to watch the original Rocky on tape.? ? What a disorienting experience.? I was not expecting dialogue like this:

Rocky (lecturing young girl in the neighborhood):? "...that's the way guys are. They laugh when ya talk dirty. They think you're cute. But after awhile, you get a reputation and that's it. You get no respect. Ya understand? Ya get no respect. I gotta use a bad word - WHORE...You don't really have to be one, you just act like one and that's it...They don't remember you, they remember the rep...You hang out with nice people, you get nice friends, ya understand? You hang out with smart people, you get smart friends. You hang out with yo-yo's, you get yo-yo friends. You see, simple mathematics."

Young Girl: "Screw you, CREEPO!!!" (then runs away)

Hey Steele, Rocky was right!   Smiley
I saw Rocky III with my mom at the local mall.  I remember we went there to see E.T., but the line wrapped all around the damn 2nd floor, so we went to see Rocky III.  I loved it and still love it!  I can't wait for Rocky VI.  The only Rocky I disliked was V.  I still refuse to watch it all the way through.  Watching V was like getting repeatedly kicked in the balls...not fun.   no

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2006, 09:59:33 AM »

Hey Steele, Rocky was right!? ?Smiley
I saw Rocky III with my mom at the local mall.? I remember we went there to see E.T., but the line wrapped all around the damn 2nd floor, so we went to see Rocky III.? I loved it and still love it!? I can't wait for Rocky VI.? The only Rocky I disliked was V.? I still refuse to watch it all the way through.? Watching V was like getting repeatedly kicked in the balls...not fun.? ?no

Yes, V was a traumatic experience.  I'm still not over it, so when I heard about VI, I was beyond skeptical.  But this thread and the recent trailers / publicity are sucking me in hook, line and sinker.

Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2006, 11:02:37 AM »

Entertainment Weekly did a short review of the new rocky movie. Heres the Review:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/review/movie/0,6115,1569422_1_0_,00.html

Rocky Balboa

Reviewed by Owen Gleiberman

There is no movie this holiday season I wanted to see less than Rocky Balboa. Sylvester Stallone already had one go at resurrecting his most beloved character as a creaky, years-beyond-his-prime has-been, in Rocky V, and no one gave much of a damn then. So why should we care about Rocky again? It turns out that the added years only benefit the character, making him seem touchingly new because he's so old. In Rocky Balboa, Rocky, fast approaching AARP status (Stallone turned 60 this year), is in his late Jake La Motta phase ? he's a droopy, shambling relic with calcified joints who runs an Italian eatery, entertaining customers with boxing tales they already know by heart. Since he's famous, we aren't asked to feel sorry for him (even as he moons over his late, beloved Adrian), and damned if Stallone doesn't tap right back into the Rocky charm ? the soft-brained lug logic and slurry nobility, the feeling, enhanced by his meat-locker bulk, that he's a caveman simpleton who knows only how to fight.

He gets his chance when ESPN runs a simulated bout between Rocky and the current champ, Mason ''The Line'' Dixon (Antonio Tarver), and the prospect of a cross-generational exhibition fight becomes a Vegas media jackpot. There is much to poke at in Rocky Balboa, yet the movie, with its amusingly updated ''Gonna Fly Now''montage and its very niftily staged climactic bout, summons just enough incredulous wit about just how often Rocky has been around this particular block to let Sylvester Stallone earn his nostalgia.

Its nice that it gets a decent review, I am very anxious to see this movie and I am hoping its good. I ussally don't read reviews but I saw this one up on rottentomatoes.com so I thought I would pass it along to you guys. I ussually just check rottentomatoes, because you can usually tell whats gonna be good and whats gonna be crap based their tomato rating.  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2006, 09:52:37 PM »

I'm so looking forward to this. Rocky 5 really wasn't that bad, it just wasn't up to the standard of the others. I hope Bill Conti does the music...?

CUT ME MICK! CUT ME!
'Slinger
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2006, 10:21:50 PM »

The first Rocky was one of the crowning acheivements of film history.  This new Rocky looks like it is carrying the same torch toward excellence.   
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »

My favorite Rockys were II and IV.

The original is great too though.. and sticks out for being the first.

III was ok.

As for V... you know, as "depressing" as it was, I feel like it was a good film. Some things were cheesy.. for instance.. theres no way in real life that Rocky could become broke again and move to his old home  hihi.. but honestly, it was a different side of Rocky. I liked it.

Me and Garry are seeing this before the GNR show on the 20th in LA. Wo0o0o. Rocky and GNR in one day

gnrevolution.com
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2006, 11:34:56 PM »

Personally, I felt III had the most potential.  It starts out great and has the classic 1-glory, 2-fall from glory, 3-regained glory progression that works really well.  To me though, III looked rushed and it suffered a bit because of it...but I still liked it alot.

1 is an all-time classic, and 2-4 are great entertainment.  5 is a disgrace, and I'm hoping 6 kicks ass.   Cool

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2006, 06:34:44 AM »

i dont think i'm gonna read any more reviews or anything, i dont want the reviewers to give away even the little details. i want to go in totally oblivious, since i mean the plot is already pretty clear cut from the trailer so i want everything else to a be a surprise.

i'm trying not to think about the ending cuz i really can't even make up my mind what i want to happen. who knows im sure stallone has something up his sleeve!

thats me also dude.

i dont watch any new trailers, Im not reading any posts in this thread.

I am gonna go and be totally surprised.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »

My bro-in-law and I are going Friday night.  I'm psyched.  It's my 1st movie at the theaters since Star Wars Episode 3. 

If someone can't appreciate Rocky movies, I can understand her...but I can't understand him.
 peace

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2006, 11:16:24 AM »

Rocky Balboa:

1. Footage from the first Rocky to help you remember how much you liked that movie.
2. The punching of big sides of beef, like in the first Rocky.
3. The drinking of the raw eggs, like in the first Rocky.
4. A doggy sidekick with a cute name, like in the first Rocky.
5. Turtles, like in the first Rocky.
6. Unwise training rituals in no-arch-support-having Converse Chuck Taylors. Size unknown; color black.
7. The running up of steps and the jumping up and down on them, like in the first Rocky.
8. Concern about "going the distance," like in the first Rocky.
9. A plain-Jane Adrian Jr., since Talia Shire wisely bailed from this sad marathon a while back.
10. A self-consciously stripped down, "humble" approach meant to evoke fond memories of ? guess what movie?

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2006, 12:22:43 PM »

You heartless cynic.
"Balboa" isn't going to just riff on the first film in the hopes of living up to the (admittedly low) standards of the franchise. It's going to distance itself from the old movies and break new ground, finding innovative, unique ways to suck and blow.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2006, 01:59:30 PM »

You heartless cynic.
"Balboa" isn't going to just riff on the first film in the hopes of living up to the (admittedly low) standards of the franchise. It's going to distance itself from the old movies and break new ground, finding innovative, unique ways to suck and blow.

All i'm saying is Stallone could have come up with a more original artsy way to make a film reflecting his acting career and his life.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: