Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NOVEMBER 3 - Huntington, WV discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NOVEMBER 3 - Huntington, WV discussion thread  (Read 47441 times)
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »

I was there, front row. I had a black toboggan on and a 1991 Use Your Illusion tour shirt if anyone saw me. And, um, I was holding that girl who everone was pissed off at. Anyway...

Sabastian Bach was awesome. Crowd was into him the whole time. He had the girl standing two people down from me throw her hat to him. He gave it back.

Papa Roach needed a couple songs to win over the crowd. Their lead singer came over and was singing right in front of the rail. I got to shake hands with him. They won me over.

GNR came on at 11:21 (I had my cell phone out and just happened to look right as the lights went out). The place was on fire from start to finish, which is especially impressive considering this was about a 6 hour show. Axl seemed to be having a good time, enjoying the crowd (even at one point even jokingly telling us to 'calm down...' something to that effect). All through the night he was making comments about the crowd, cracking jokes, etc.

I haven't heard any of the downloads from the current tour, but the new songs sound a lot heavier than they do on the demos (and different from the 2002 live bootlegs). The crowd was into all of them. A ton of people knew the words.

Before Down On The Farm, Axl said, "Ok, what do you guys want to do now? .... That one? This has the potential to be a disaster. I haven't sang this song in 15 years." I forgot who asked, but yes, he did sing it with a British accent.

After the show was over, my friend and I went around back and got to talking to one of the security guards. He said they were all informed before the show that Axl was refusing to go on if a chiropractor wasn't brought to the arena and to be prepared for the worst. Good thing they found one!

All in all, it was the best concert I've ever been to. The band sounded great, Axl sounded great, GNR stayed on stage for about 2 hours, 40 minutes. Incredible night.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #221 on: November 04, 2006, 02:14:40 PM »

thanks people for the pics and the reviews.

I haven't heard any of the downloads from the current tour, but the new songs sound a lot heavier than they do on the demos (and different from the 2002 live bootlegs). The crowd was into all of them. A ton of people knew the words.

Before Down On The Farm, Axl said, "Ok, what do you guys want to do now? .... That one? This has the potential to be a disaster. I haven't sang this song in 15 years." I forgot who asked, but yes, he did sing it with a British accent.

you know I love hearing those details. and I'm most happy to hear that new songs met with good responses. beer
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »

I forgot who asked, but yes, he did sing it with a British accent.
Axl's cockney accent is probably the only good thing on the Spaghetti album.

I'll download it !
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »

I dare to agree...DOTF rocks..but the album...nooooooooo

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
Mr. Madagascar
Headliner

"Hope to see you soon boys and girls", Axl Rio 01-15-01

« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2006, 02:37:11 PM »

ok ok ok

Great show. i can?t fucking belive it....... 2 hours and 40 min. That?s a long show.

08/19/91 Copenhagen, Denmark
06/08/93 Gentofte Stadion, Denmark
08/24/02 Pukkelpop,Belgium
08/26/02 London Arena,England
05/12-14-15-17/06 Hammerstein, New York
06/29/06 Roskilde Festival, Denmark
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2006, 02:59:15 PM »

Glad to hear they played DOTF and crazy.  two very cool songs.  Getting more excited for MSG now.  shame my seats SUUUCKKKK though hahah.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »

I forgot to add that after Down On The Farm, Axl said something about Tommy Stinson playing something on his bass that reminded him (Axl) of DOTF, so the band all decided they should start doing that song.

In the review that someone posted earlier, it said there were 6500 people there. I'm not so sure about that. The arena holds 9000 and from what I could see, it looked to be 90% full or better. I'd guess closer to 8000.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2006, 03:24:53 PM »

Can't wait for the 10th!!!

Wonder what Axl and Co. will have in store for us?  an all-nighter hihi
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »

Can't wait for the 10th!!!

Wonder what Axl and Co. will have in store for us?? an all-nighter hihi

As each day approaches I get more excited for the MSG show. I have great seats, and to be there with 20,000 GNR fans will be AMAZING. I think we're in store for something new and great that night.

LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO!!!

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »

I forgot to add that after Down On The Farm, Axl said something about Tommy Stinson playing something on his bass that reminded him (Axl) of DOTF, so the band all decided they should start doing that song.

In the review that someone posted earlier, it said there were 6500 people there. I'm not so sure about that. The arena holds 9000 and from what I could see, it looked to be 90% full or better. I'd guess closer to 8000.

I heard it was really packed when GNR went on. basically capasity

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2006, 03:53:26 PM »

That explains further. Tommy was a punk, and still is, isn't he.  Cool
lennonsong
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2006, 04:03:14 PM »

Updated: I just received word that my local newspaper, The Herald-Dispatch, will pick up my review for Sunday morning's print edition.? It's also online right now at http://www.hdonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061104/NEWS01/61104007.? A photo gallery is online also (as someone posted earlier).

SHOW REVIEW:

Meet the friendlier, more tranquil Axl Rose: the version who says thank you a lot, high-fives fans in the audience, jokes around with band members onstage, dances, smiles ? he even starts his shows on time.?

It wasn't the version concertgoers to the Big Sandy Superstore Arena may have expected to meet during Friday night's epic, 5-and-1/2 hour concert featuring headliners Guns N' Roses and high-energy opening acts Papa Roach and Sebastian Bach, but they left satisfied and happily exhausted nonetheless.

Fortunately, and a bit surprisingly, this version of the fiery frontman emerged from the darkness of the stage before an enthralled crowd of roughly 6,500 on this seventh night of the "Chinese Democracy" tour.? ?

Though much has been made of the late start times on this tour ? with Rose rarely starting previous shows before midnight ? he was prompt during his Huntington visit, beginning the show shortly after 11 p.m.

The enigmatic vocalist seemed happy to be onstage and worked hard to please the audience.

"I know it's clich? to ask this, but how are you all doin'?," he asked during a brief break in the band's set. "It looks like you're having a good time, which is helping us out. So keep that spirit going."

Rose charmed a captivated audience as he snake-danced, whirled, and swayed throughout the band's 21-song, 2-hour-and-45-minute, continuous set that drew heavy portions of 20-year-old favorites from the classic "Appetite for Destruction" album, a couple cuts from the "Use Your Illusion" era, and a four-song selection from the ridiculously long-delayed "Chinese Democracy," an album that has been in production for nine years at an estimated 15 million dollars.?

Cartoonish ex-Skid Row lead screamer Sebastian Bach kicked off the night with a one-hour set featuring heavily his former band's material, with a handful of new songs mixed in for good measure.? Dressed in tight, black leather pants, a matching vest, and white cowboy boots, Bach swung his microphone overhead as he head-banged to cuts like "Slave to the Grind," "18 and Life," and "Youth Gone Wild."?

Stopping briefly to introduce each song, Bach peppered the audience with a barrage of F-bombs and quirky one-liners.? The audience reacted well to the blonde madman's act and he left the stage to a loud hand.

Perhaps the least enviable slot on the bill belonged to nu-rockers Papa Roach.? The audience seemed to take a wait-and-see approach with the band, and it wasn't until the band's third song, "She Loves Me Not," from 2002's "lovehatetragedy" album, that they broke through.? The band worked through their catalog of rock hits, including "Getting Away with Murder" and "Last Resort," as vocalist Jacoby Shaddix led audience members in a Bono-esque sing-a-long to new tracks like "?To Be Loved" and "Time Is Running Out."

Of course, the night was reserved for Axl and his seven-man band.

"Do you know where you are?" Rose screamed the famous opening line from Guns' incendiary 1987 hit "Welcome to the Jungle," kickstarting this last portion of the show.

The crowd answered with an anticipatory roar as new guitarist Robin Finck echoed the? opening riff throughout the arena and a single spotlight careened off Rose's jet-black glasses and matching silk shirt.? ?

Finck, the longest-incumbent guitarist in the new Guns N' Roses fold and who swung his ax previously in Nine Inch Nails, sported a scraggly beard and untamed mane that reminded you of Jimmy Page's brief, bearded moment during the Zoso album era.

In addition to Finck, other Guns members are long-time keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who joined the band before the "Use Your Illusion" double albums in 1992; bassist Tommy Stinson, formerly of the Replacements; fusion guitarist and composer Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal; keyboardist Chris Pitman; and former Love Spit Love members Richard Fortus on guitar and Frank Ferrer on drums, the latter of whom is filling in on this tour for Bryan "Brain" Mantia on who is currently spending time with his wife and their newborn daughter.

A bit heavier now and old enough to be the dysfunctional dad to many younger Guns N' Roses fans in attendance Friday, Rose's marathon of fist-pumping heavy rock-n-roll delighted many nostalgia-tripping 30-somethings and their kids ? many of whom must have come into the show wondering what they had missed out on some 15 years ago when Rose was revered as the biggest, most controversial rock star in the world.

The audience maintained a high energy level throughout the show as the band tore through a set allowing room to showcase their wide-ranging musical abilities.? They might not have been Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Matt backing up Axl Friday night, but to their credit this is a very competent unit assembled to crank out Guns' tunes with a similar tenacity.

Rose fed off the crowd's raucousness and showed many patrons in attendance why he is still considered a captivating frontman. His aging voice cracked and strained to hit high notes in songs like "My Michelle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine," but his 44-year-old frame showed no signs of fatigue as he sprinted from side-to-side of the stage to shake hands with fans, exciting those especially in the first few rows.

The show ended with the fitting "Paradise City," another hit from the 1987 "Appetite for Destruction" album.? That album alone has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide.

It was an appropriate ending to a night that so many never envisioned happening.? This was, after all, only the second time Guns N' Roses has performed in West Virginia.? Their first time was as an opening act for Aerosmith in Wheeling, WV, in 1988.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:06:24 PM by lennonsong » Logged
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2006, 04:07:06 PM »

SHOW REVIEW:

Meet the friendlier, more tranquil Axl Rose: the version who says thank you a lot, high-fives fans in the audience, jokes around with band members onstage, dances, smiles ? he even starts his shows on time. 

It wasn't the version concertgoers to the Big Sandy Superstore Arena may have expected to meet during Friday night's epic, 5-and-1/2 hour concert featuring headliners Guns N' Roses and high-energy opening acts Papa Roach and Sebastian Bach, but they left satisfied and happily exhausted nonetheless.

Fortunately, and a bit surprisingly, this version of the fiery frontman emerged from the darkness of the stage before an enthralled crowd of roughly 6,500 on this seventh night of the "Chinese Democracy" tour.   

Though much has been made of the late start times on this tour ? with Rose rarely starting previous shows before midnight ? he was prompt during his Huntington visit, beginning the show shortly after 11 p.m.

The enigmatic vocalist seemed happy to be onstage and worked hard to please the audience.

"I know it's clich? to ask this, but how are you all doin'?," he asked during a brief break in the band's set. "It looks like you're having a good time, which is helping us out. So keep that spirit going."

Rose charmed a captivated audience as he snake-danced, whirled, and swayed throughout the band's 21-song, 2-hour-and-45-minute, continuous set that drew heavy portions of 20-year-old favorites from the classic "Appetite for Destruction" album, a couple cuts from the "Use Your Illusion" era, and a four-song selection from the ridiculously long-delayed "Chinese Democracy," an album that has been in production for nine years at an estimated 15 million dollars. 

Cartoonish ex-Skid Row lead screamer Sebastian Bach kicked off the night with a one-hour set featuring heavily his former band's material, with a handful of new songs mixed in for good measure.  Dressed in tight, black leather pants, a matching vest, and white cowboy boots, Bach swung his microphone overhead as he head-banged to cuts like "Slave to the Grind," "18 and Life," and "Youth Gone Wild." 

Stopping briefly to introduce each song, Bach peppered the audience with a barrage of F-bombs and quirky one-liners.  The audience reacted well to the blonde madman's act and he left the stage to a loud hand.

Perhaps the least enviable slot on the bill belonged to nu-rockers Papa Roach.  The audience seemed to take a wait-and-see approach with the band, and it wasn't until the band's third song, "She Loves Me Not," from 2002's "lovehatetragedy" album, that they broke through.  The band worked through their catalog of rock hits, including "Getting Away with Murder" and "Last Resort," as vocalist Jacoby Shaddix led audience members in a Bono-esque sing-a-long to new tracks like "?To Be Loved" and "Time Is Running Out."

"Do you know where you are?" Rose screamed the famous opening line from Guns' incendiary 1987 hit "Welcome to the Jungle," kickstarting this last portion of the show.

The crowd answered with an anticipatory roar as new guitarist Robin Finck echoed the  opening riff throughout the arena and a single spotlight careened off Rose's jet-black glasses and matching silk shirt.   

Finck, the longest-incumbent guitarist in the new Guns N' Roses fold and who swung his ax previously in Nine Inch Nails, sported a scraggly beard and untamed mane that reminded you of Jimmy Page's brief, bearded moment during the Zoso album era.

In addition to Finck, other Guns members are long-time keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who joined the band before the "Use Your Illusion" double albums in 1992; bassist Tommy Stinson, formerly of the Replacements; fusion guitarist and composer Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal; keyboardist Chris Pitman; and former Love Spit Love members Richard Fortus on guitar and Frank Ferrer on drums, the latter of whom is filling in on this tour for Bryan "Brain" Mantia on who is currently spending time with his wife and their newborn daughter.

A bit heavier now and old enough to be the dysfunctional dad to many younger Guns N' Roses fans in attendance Friday, Rose's marathon of fist-pumping heavy rock-n-roll delighted many nostalgia-tripping 30-somethings and their kids ? many of whom must have come into the show wondering what they had missed out on some 15 years ago when Rose was revered as the biggest, most controversial rock star in the world.

The audience maintained a high energy level throughout the show as the band tore through a set allowing room to showcase their wide-ranging musical abilities.  They might not have been Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Matt backing up Axl Friday night, but to their credit this is a very competent unit assembled to crank out Guns' tunes with a similar tenacity.

Rose fed off the crowd's raucousness and showed many patrons in attendance why he is still considered a captivating frontman. His aging voice cracked and strained to hit high notes in songs like "My Michelle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine," but his 44-year-old frame showed no signs of fatigue as he sprinted from side-to-side of the stage to shake hands with fans, exciting those especially in the first few rows.

The show ended with the fitting "Paradise City," another hit from the 1987 "Appetite for Destruction" album.  That album alone has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide.

It was an appropriate ending to a night that so many never envisioned happening.  This was, after all, only the second time Guns N' Roses has performed in West Virginia.  Their first time was as an opening act for Aerosmith in Wheeling, WV, in 1988.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061104/NEWS01/61104007

Hello Mr. Chris Mitchell.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2006, 04:12:06 PM »

Updated: I just received word that my local newspaper, The Herald-Dispatch, will pick up my review for Sunday morning's print edition.  It's also online right now at http://www.hdonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061104/NEWS01/61104007.  A photo gallery is online also (as someone posted earlier).

SHOW REVIEW:

Meet the friendlier, more tranquil Axl Rose: the version who says thank you a lot, high-fives fans in the audience, jokes around with band members onstage, dances, smiles ? he even starts his shows on time. 

Fortunately, and a bit surprisingly, this version of the fiery frontman emerged from the darkness of the stage before an enthralled crowd of roughly 6,500 on this seventh night of the "Chinese Democracy" tour.   

Rose charmed a captivated audience as he snake-danced, whirled, and swayed throughout the band's 21-song, 2-hour-and-45-minute, continuous set that drew heavy portions of 20-year-old favorites from the classic "Appetite for Destruction" album, a couple cuts from the "Use Your Illusion" era, and a four-song selection from the ridiculously long-delayed "Chinese Democracy," an album that has been in production for nine years at an estimated 15 million dollars. 

Cartoonish ex-Skid Row lead screamer Sebastian Bach kicked off the night with a one-hour set featuring heavily his former band's material, with a handful of new songs mixed in for good measure.  Dressed in tight, black leather pants, a matching vest, and white cowboy boots, Bach swung his microphone overhead as he head-banged to cuts like "Slave to the Grind," "18 and Life," and "Youth Gone Wild." 

Stopping briefly to introduce each song, Bach peppered the audience with a barrage of F-bombs and quirky one-liners.  The audience reacted well to the blonde madman's act and he left the stage to a loud hand.

Perhaps the least enviable slot on the bill belonged to nu-rockers Papa Roach.  The audience seemed to take a wait-and-see approach with the band, and it wasn't until the band's third song, "She Loves Me Not," from 2002's "lovehatetragedy" album, that they broke through.  The band worked through their catalog of rock hits, including "Getting Away with Murder" and "Last Resort," as vocalist Jacoby Shaddix led audience members in a Bono-esque sing-a-long to new tracks like "?To Be Loved" and "Time Is Running Out."

The crowd answered with an anticipatory roar as new guitarist Robin Finck echoed the  opening riff throughout the arena and a single spotlight careened off Rose's jet-black glasses and matching silk shirt.   

The audience maintained a high energy level throughout the show as the band tore through a set allowing room to showcase their wide-ranging musical abilities.  They might not have been Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Matt backing up Axl Friday night, but to their credit this is a very competent unit assembled to crank out Guns' tunes with a similar tenacity.

The show ended with the fitting "Paradise City," another hit from the 1987 "Appetite for Destruction" album.  That album alone has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide.

It was an appropriate ending to a night that so many never envisioned happening.  This was, after all, only the second time Guns N' Roses has performed in West Virginia.  Their first time was as an opening act for Aerosmith in Wheeling, WV, in 1988.
Great review!!!  Glad you enjoyed the show, and thank you for posting the article/review here first!!
lennonsong
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2006, 04:40:20 PM »

peace beer smoking
SharonM
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2006, 05:36:18 PM »

The show last night was incredible!
We had a great spot in the floor second row from the front, it was amazing.
One part I'll never forget was when the audience in the stands were stomping their feet making a huge roar, Axl was all smiles and said "I hear a storm a comin".

Sharon
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2006, 06:27:35 PM »

Are you people ever happy.  He plays an extremely rare song, and some of you bitch about the way he sings it.  When Del wrote about fans who bitch but never goto the shows, remember he was talking about you.  I was there and it was amazing. ok
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2006, 07:30:01 PM »

There is a different element when the song is played live.  It's completely different, and it sounded great.  I never liked the song that much until last night.  It sounded great, and I'm guessing he played it because it was kind of a "country" atmosphere.
OctoberRain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2006, 11:40:50 PM »

Hey, I'm new here, but I'm a regular over at ChiDem

I was updating everybody  Cool, and lemme say, it was hands down the best moment of my young life.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2006, 11:55:35 PM »

Am I the only one who Hates Down On A Farm? I Despise Axl's Clean Vocals The Song would be so Much Better If he Didn't try to insult Us Europeans by mocking our accent and Using His Barbwire MeatGrinder Rasp.

As opposed to almost any British singer who sounds American when they sing?  Get over it; it's Axl's ode to British Punk Rock.

Cheers,

Andrew

I always thought it'd be cool for someone to do it that rockin', and do it with a put on Southern/Country-boy accent, as kind of like, American-nizing the song.

Either way, it's a rockin' song, with a terrific speed.

Unfortunately, Axl is from Indiana by way of LA. So he has no southern country boy accent.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: