Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:23:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NOVEMBER 3 - Huntington, WV discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NOVEMBER 3 - Huntington, WV discussion thread  (Read 48334 times)
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2006, 09:38:27 AM »

Sounds like yet another great 2006 show ! How was the capacity ?

Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2006, 09:43:38 AM »

Just my opinion, but I think Chinese Democracy would be a kickass opening song! Maybe they're waiting for the album to be released in order to do that?

I think it would equally work as the second song in the set i.e.

Jungle
Chinese Democracy

Personally I prefer fast openers

Here today...ready to rock
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2006, 09:47:41 AM »

All I stated was a fact, and you backed it up for me by chipping in.

You stated an opinion. Facts don't need backup, that's why they're called facts. Now end this.

Take your own advice.

You may not agree with the fact, but that doesn't make it any less of a fact.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »

So wait, after having his big cry about people whinging about the setlist and telling them to get fucked, Axl is caving in and adding new songs? confused

That's one way of looking at it...  Roll Eyes
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2006, 10:16:24 AM »

So wait, after having his big cry about people whinging about the setlist and telling them to get fucked, Axl is caving in and adding new songs?? confused

He could have done that four years ago.

No.

They've been saying since Inland Invasion that once the NA tour started, they'd gradually change up the setlist.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2006, 10:32:51 AM »

In the kroq radio interview in august, regarding the setlist axl said something to the effect that there would be some nightly variation depending on the vibe of the crowd and other circumstances and how the band feels.

They'll play more new songs when the crowd at the show want them.

Thanks for the reports.
What I enjoy in a review is little tidbits and how the show goes and the crowd react than what songs they play.
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2006, 10:34:43 AM »

any Youtube link or something of Down On The Farm AND You?re Crazy???

I wanna see it!  Smiley

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2006, 10:37:15 AM »

any Youtube link or something of Down On The Farm AND You?re Crazy???

I wanna see it!? Smiley

We're still all hoping. But nothing yet. Sadly it'll be hard.

Very few videos/audio have surfaced from the previous shows since this tour started.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2006, 10:55:58 AM »

Damn!
 Undecided

chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2006, 11:07:57 AM »

CD opening would be cool for us hardcore fans, cause we know it.

But jungle just sends everyone into that frenzy (even casual fans) that an unknown (for now at least) wouldn't be able to acheive.

I might get bashed to hell here but I've been thinking for the longest time Sympathy for the Devil would be a cool opener. I know it's not going to happen and before people think it... I'm not complaining

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
guns_n_motley
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »

But jungle just sends everyone into that frenzy (even casual fans) that an unknown (for now at least) wouldn't be able to acheive.

? I might get bashed to hell here but I've been thinking for the longest time Sympathy for the Devil would be a cool opener. I know it's not going to happen and before people think it... I'm not complaining

Jungle is the perfect opener.. You wait a long time for axl to come out, and all of a sudden it gets dark and you hear that "dun dah dah dah" it just puts the crowd in a frenzy... its posssibly the best intro for a song..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2006, 11:25:49 AM »

cd will send everyone into the jungle-frenzy after it's heard on the album.  yes
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »

any youtube stuff of down on the farm from the show?

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2006, 11:52:20 AM »

any reviews of this show yet?

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2006, 12:02:18 PM »

cd will send everyone into the jungle-frenzy after it's heard on the album.? yes

I agree once cd is out ... ok

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
lennonsong
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2006, 12:05:41 PM »

SHOW REVIEW:

Meet the friendlier, more tranquil Axl Rose: the version who says thank you a lot, high-fives fans in the audience, jokes around with band members onstage, dances, smiles ? he even starts his shows on time.?

It wasn't the version concertgoers to the Big Sandy Superstore Arena may have expected to meet during Friday night's epic, 5-and-1/2 hour concert featuring headliners Guns N' Roses and high-energy opening acts Papa Roach and Sebastian Bach, but they left satisfied and happily exhausted nonetheless.

Fortunately, and a bit surprisingly, this version of the fiery frontman emerged from the darkness of the stage before an enthralled crowd of roughly 6,500 on this seventh night of the "Chinese Democracy" tour.? ?

Though much has been made of the late start times on this tour ? with Rose rarely starting previous shows before midnight ? he was prompt during his Huntington visit, beginning the show shortly after 11 p.m.

The enigmatic vocalist seemed happy to be onstage and worked hard to please the audience.

"I know it's clich? to ask this, but how are you all doin'?," he asked during a brief break in the band's set. "It looks like you're having a good time, which is helping us out. So keep that spirit going."

Rose charmed a captivated audience as he snake-danced, whirled, and swayed throughout the band's 21-song, 2-hour-and-45-minute, continuous set that drew heavy portions of 20-year-old favorites from the classic "Appetite for Destruction" album, a couple cuts from the "Use Your Illusion" era, and a four-song selection from the ridiculously long-delayed "Chinese Democracy," an album that has been in production for nine years at an estimated 15 million dollars.?

Cartoonish ex-Skid Row lead screamer Sebastian Bach kicked off the night with a one-hour set featuring heavily his former band's material, with a handful of new songs mixed in for good measure.? Dressed in tight, black leather pants, a matching vest, and white cowboy boots, Bach swung his microphone overhead as he head-banged to cuts like "Slave to the Grind," "18 and Life," and "Youth Gone Wild."?

Stopping briefly to introduce each song, Bach peppered the audience with a barrage of F-bombs and quirky one-liners.? The audience reacted well to the blonde madman's act and he left the stage to a loud hand.

Perhaps the least enviable slot on the bill belonged to nu-rockers Papa Roach.? The audience seemed to take a wait-and-see approach with the band, and it wasn't until the band's third song, "She Loves Me Not," from 2002's "lovehatetragedy" album, that they broke through.? The band worked through their catalog of rock hits, including "Getting Away with Murder" and "Last Resort," as vocalist Jacoby Shaddix led audience members in a Bono-esque sing-a-long to new tracks like "?To Be Loved" and "Time Is Running Out."

Of course, the night was reserved for Axl and his seven-man band.

"Do you know where you are?" Rose screamed the famous opening line from Guns' incendiary 1987 hit "Welcome to the Jungle," kickstarting this last portion of the show.

The crowd answered with an anticipatory roar as new guitarist Robin Finck echoed the? opening riff throughout the arena and a single spotlight careened off Rose's jet-black glasses and matching silk shirt.? ?

Finck, the longest-incumbent guitarist in the new Guns N' Roses fold and who swung his ax previously in Nine Inch Nails, sported a scraggly beard and untamed mane that reminded you of Jimmy Page's brief, bearded moment during the Zoso album era.

In addition to Finck, other Guns members are long-time keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who joined the band before the "Use Your Illusion" double albums in 1992; bassist Tommy Stinson, formerly of the Replacements; fusion guitarist and composer Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal; keyboardist Chris Pitman; and former Love Spit Love members Richard Fortus on guitar and Frank Ferrer on drums, the latter of whom is filling in on this tour for Bryan "Brain" Mantia on who is currently spending time with his wife and their newborn daughter.

A bit heavier now and old enough to be the dysfunctional dad to many younger Guns N' Roses fans in attendance Friday, Rose's marathon of fist-pumping heavy rock-n-roll delighted many nostalgia-tripping 30-somethings and their kids ? many of whom must have come into the show wondering what they had missed out on some 15 years ago when Rose was revered as the biggest, most controversial rock star in the world.

The audience maintained a high energy level throughout the show as the band tore through a set allowing room to showcase their wide-ranging musical abilities.? They might not have been Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Matt backing up Axl Friday night, but to their credit this is a very competent unit assembled to crank out Guns' tunes with a similar tenacity.

Rose fed off the crowd's raucousness and showed many patrons in attendance why he is still considered a captivating frontman. His aging voice cracked and strained to hit high notes in songs like "My Michelle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine," but his 44-year-old frame showed no signs of fatigue as he sprinted from side-to-side of the stage to shake hands with fans, exciting those especially in the first few rows.

The show ended with the fitting "Paradise City," another hit from the 1987 "Appetite for Destruction" album.? That album alone has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide.

It was an appropriate ending to a night that so many never envisioned happening.? This was, after all, only the second time Guns N' Roses has performed in West Virginia.? Their first time was as an opening act for Aerosmith in Wheeling, WV, in 1988.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 12:21:41 PM by lennonsong » Logged
If The World
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »

Awesome setlist! Now bring on Prostitue and If The World!

*dances*

I'm here what do you want?  I'm Sorry Prostitute Can't make it shes on the Corner.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2006, 12:12:32 PM »

WOWWWWWWWW!!! ?Went to the show..I'll give a full review when I wake up. ?Tried to drive home, couldn't do it so I pulled over at a rest stop and slept to sober up for a couple hours and just got back to Louisville. ?Axl was HAPPY, laughing the entire time saying the crowd was really into it, which was getting him into it (exact words). ?I think he treated us with a LOOONG setlist because of the crowd reaction, even though I was the only one singing the new songs. ?I had the white collar button up, jeans, boots, with black GN'R shirt on if anyone saw me. ?I was going nuts the entire night, he was spot on, the band was spot on, and there was a lot of interaction between members. ?Axl said "Down on the Farm" was the band's SURPRISE idea for the night and he would give it shot, so he played it and it sounded top notch. ?I'll give you more later....including pictures....
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »

SHOW REVIEW:

Meet the friendlier, more tranquil Axl Rose: the version who says thank you a lot, high-fives fans in the audience, jokes around with band members onstage, dances, smiles ? he even starts his shows on time. 

It wasn't the version concertgoers to the Big Sandy Superstore Arena may have expected to meet during Friday night's epic, 5-and-1/2 hour concert featuring headliners Guns N' Roses and high-energy opening acts Papa Roach and Sebastian Bach, but they left satisfied and happily exhausted nonetheless.

Fortunately, and a bit surprisingly, this version of the fiery frontman emerged from the darkness of the stage before an enthralled crowd of roughly 6,500 on this seventh night of the "Chinese Democracy" tour.   

Though much has been made of the late start times on this tour ? with Rose rarely starting previous shows before midnight ? he was prompt during his Huntington visit, beginning the show shortly after 11 p.m.

The enigmatic vocalist seemed happy to be onstage and worked hard to please the audience.

"I know it's clich? to ask this, but how are you all doin'?," he asked during a brief break in the band's set. "It looks like you're having a good time, which is helping us out. So keep that spirit going."

Rose charmed a captivated audience as he snake-danced, whirled, and swayed throughout the band's 21-song, 2-hour-and-45-minute, continuous set that drew heavy portions of 20-year-old favorites from the classic "Appetite for Destruction" album, a couple cuts from the "Use Your Illusion" era, and a four-song selection from the ridiculously long-delayed "Chinese Democracy," an album that has been in production for nine years at an estimated 15 million dollars. 

Cartoonish ex-Skid Row lead screamer Sebastian Bach kicked off the night with a one-hour set featuring heavily his former band's material, with a handful of new songs mixed in for good measure.  Dressed in tight, black leather pants, a matching vest, and white cowboy boots, Bach swung his microphone overhead as he head-banged to cuts like "Slave to the Grind," "18 and Life," and "Youth Gone Wild." 

Stopping briefly to introduce each song, Bach peppered the audience with a barrage of F-bombs and quirky one-liners.  The audience reacted well to the blonde madman's act and he left the stage to a loud hand.

Perhaps the least enviable slot on the bill belonged to nu-rockers Papa Roach.  The audience seemed to take a wait-and-see approach with the band, and it wasn't until the band's third song, "She Loves Me Not," from 2002's "lovehatetragedy" album, that they broke through.  The band worked through their catalog of rock hits, including "Getting Away with Murder" and "Last Resort," as vocalist Jacoby Shaddix led audience members in a Bono-esque sing-a-long to new tracks like "?To Be Loved" and "Time Is Running Out."

Of course, the night was reserved for Axl and his seven-man band.

"Do you know where you are?" Rose screamed the famous opening line from Guns' incendiary 1987 hit "Welcome to the Jungle," kickstarting this last portion of the show.

The crowd answered with an anticipatory roar as new guitarist Robin Finck echoed the  opening riff throughout the arena and a single spotlight careened off Rose's jet-black glasses and matching silk shirt.   

Finck, the longest-incumbent guitarist in the new Guns N' Roses fold and who swung his ax previously in Nine Inch Nails, sported a scraggly beard and untamed mane that reminded you of Jimmy Page's brief, bearded moment during the Zoso album era.

In addition to Finck, other Guns members are long-time keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who joined the band before the "Use Your Illusion" double albums in 1992; bassist Tommy Stinson, formerly of the Replacements; fusion guitarist and composer Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal; keyboardist Chris Pitman; and former Love Spit Love members Richard Fortus on guitar and Frank Ferrer on drums, the latter of whom is filling in on this tour for Bryan "Brain" Mantia on who is currently spending time with his wife and their newborn daughter.

A bit heavier now and old enough to be the dysfunctional dad to many younger Guns N' Roses fans in attendance Friday, Rose's marathon of fist-pumping heavy rock-n-roll delighted many nostalgia-tripping 30-somethings and their kids ? many of whom must have come into the show wondering what they had missed out on some 15 years ago when Rose was revered as the biggest, most controversial rock star in the world.

The audience maintained a high energy level throughout the show as the band tore through a set allowing room to showcase their wide-ranging musical abilities.  They might not have been Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Matt backing up Axl Friday night, but to their credit this is a very competent unit assembled to crank out Guns' tunes with a similar tenacity.

Rose fed off the crowd's raucousness and showed many patrons in attendance why he is still considered a captivating frontman. His aging voice cracked and strained to hit high notes in songs like "My Michelle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine," but his 44-year-old frame showed no signs of fatigue as he sprinted from side-to-side of the stage to shake hands with fans, exciting those especially in the first few rows.

The show ended with the fitting "Paradise City," another hit from the 1987 "Appetite for Destruction" album.  That album alone has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide.

It was an appropriate ending to a night that so many never envisioned happening.  This was, after all, only the second time Guns N' Roses has performed in West Virginia.  Their first time was as an opening act for Aerosmith in Wheeling, WV, in 1988.

Please use a link, or else this is illegal.  If you copy and paste, you must provide a link.  I think many of us would appreciate it, nonetheless.  Thank you for locating this great review!  Must have been a great night! 
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »

All the reviewers are absolutely LOVING this tour so far.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: