Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 09:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony  (Read 26120 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2007, 03:45:41 PM »

This just in, based on first day sales Libertad's on pace to sell around 100,000 copies.  Pearl Jam's last album sold almost 280,000 in the first week.  This thread really backfired

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi
GeraldFord
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »

But PJ's last album only wound up going Gold. Let's see how Libertad does in the end. Besides, Libertad came out two days ago, how can anyone know the figures for the entire week?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 04:28:38 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »

Pearl Jam entered the UK charts at #5, their highest position there since 2000's Binaural, while it reached #2 in the U.S., selling 279,564 copies in its first week. To date, the album has sold 1,674,850 units worldwide.

From Wikipedia.
GeraldFord
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »

Pearl Jam entered the UK charts at #5, their highest position there since 2000's Binaural, while it reached #2 in the U.S., selling 279,564 copies in its first week. To date, the album has sold 1,674,850 units worldwide.

From Wikipedia.

World-Wide sales about half of Contraband.

Let's see how Libertad stacks up.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »

But PJ's last album only wound up going Gold. Let's see how Libertad does in the end. Besides, Libertad came out two days ago, how can anyone know the figures for the entire week?

That website does projections based on first day sales every week and are generally very accurate.  Even if VR had a late surge and sold 150,000 albums their first week that'd still be well below PJ's last album's debut.  Sure, PJ's album didn't go platinum in the US, it has sold quite well worldwide and that album had very little marketing

This is why you should've waited to make this thread AFTER Libertad debuted  hihi

Contraband sold well based mainly on three things:  heavy marketing, novelty factor, and two smash hit singles.  The novelty has worn off, the marketing isn't there, and neither are the singles.  It's not likely that Libertad will go platinum either, and VR doesn't have the type of international fanbase that PJ does either

Your argument that Scott Weiland is somehow more relevant than Eddie Vedder has very little ground to stand on as of right now.  Ticket sales and album sales tell a different story
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »

Gene Simmons didnt replace all the members.

Paul Stanley is still kickin ass a long side Gene

Sure they replaced Ace and Peter but that was more to due with Ace and peter

Plus u will never find a Kiss fan say Tommy Thayer is better than Ace Frehley like another band and board I know.

Guess Kiss fans are pretty smart. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GeraldFord
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2007, 04:47:56 PM »

That website does projections based on first day sales every week and are generally very accurate.? Even if VR had a late surge and sold 150,000 albums their first week that'd still be well below PJ's last album's debut.? Sure, PJ's album didn't go platinum in the US, it has sold quite well worldwide and that album had very little marketing

This is why you should've waited to make this thread AFTER Libertad debuted? hihi

Contraband sold well based mainly on three things:? heavy marketing, novelty factor, and two smash hit singles.? The novelty has worn off, the marketing isn't there, and neither are the singles.? It's not likely that Libertad will go platinum either, and VR doesn't have the type of international fanbase that PJ does either

Your argument that Scott Weiland is somehow more relevant than Eddie Vedder has very little ground to stand on as of right now.? Ticket sales and album sales tell a different story

Let's just see how it goes. If by September Libertad is out of the top 200 and has not sold one million copies in the States, I will concede that you are right.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2007, 04:58:19 PM »

10-4 Jarmo.  Weiland is much better on this album.  Messages has some really good lyrics. 

I thought it wasn't on the album.  Huh

/jarmo

Its on the US Deluxe Itunes version. But you can review it in a seperate post if you like.   

All of my friends who are GNR fanatics and bought the album on its first day of release had no idea about this song until I bought it from Itunes.

They all agreed on one thing:

VR are really stupid for letting that song off the record.

The lyrics are not that great (if it wasn't for the story...) but Slash's guitar cries after many many years...

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2007, 05:00:49 PM »

10-4 Jarmo.? Weiland is much better on this album.? Messages has some really good lyrics.?

I thought it wasn't on the album.? Huh

/jarmo

Its on the US Deluxe Itunes version. But you can review it in a seperate post if you like.? ?

All of my friends who are GNR fanatics and bought the album on its first day of release had no idea about this song until I bought it from Itunes.

They all agreed on one thing:

VR are really stupid for letting that song off the record.

The lyrics are not that great (if it wasn't for the story...) but Slash's guitar cries after many many years...

I agree.  The lyrics themselves aren't that great.  I don't feel they tell the story that well, but it's the story itself that is powerful and poignant.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2007, 05:58:02 PM »

So now it's not about where it debuted and first week sales.....  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeraldFord
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »

So now it's not about where it debuted and first week sales.....? Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Never was.

Let's give it at least a month.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »

If Libertad had sold a million in its first day, you wouldn't have used it as an example of how great Scott is?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeraldFord
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2007, 07:06:04 PM »

If Libertad had sold a million in its first day, you wouldn't have used it as an example of how great Scott is?

/jarmo

It was never about "how great Scott is." But yes, that would have shown more people care about VR than PJ in 2007, that that were the case.
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2007, 08:48:52 PM »

Nsync sold 2 million its first week.  By that standard, is Lance Bass a greater singer than Scott and Eddie combined?

Eddie is a ten times better singer.  I've seen them both live.  Scott's vocals get shredded by the end of a 90 minute show.  Eddie can sing 3 hours straight without a break.  At the end of the gig, he sounds beter than ever.

Scott Weiland may be one of the greats of our generation...but Eddie Vedder is an all-time legend.

The rifs for "Jeremy," "Corduroy" and "Daughter" blow anything STP did out of the water.

You can't credit VR's album sales only to Scott.  Slash, Duff, and Matt are a huge factor in their popularity.  Scott's solo album was a massive failure.  He has no draw by himself.  Eddie could release an album of Irish belching songs and sell better.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »

"Scott Weiland one of the greats of our generation"!!!! You poor buggers!

At least my generation can proudly claim Bon Jon as one of our greats!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2007, 10:18:53 PM »

Eddie IS a much better live singer, I definitely agree with that but Hell Eddie is one of the best live singers period.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »

I do think Scott is more well known at this point but PJ did aot earlier in their career integrity wise that kind of took them out of the public eye. Not doing videos all those years, the unsuccessful stand against ticket master and so forth. I like Scotts voice better than eddie's but eddie is a much better lyricist. Scott kinda falls into a trap sometimes and writes too much about his own personal struggles and all the drug stuff. Eddie has always been much more socially conscious. The self titled had some great lyrics but songs like "world wide suicide" and even "bushleager" a few years back can alienate some fans and cost you airplay. So I think even tho Scott wins as being more well known ya gotta give it to Ed for the integrity.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2007, 08:40:22 PM »

who really cares about Eddie Vedder anymore?

This thread turned out to be a trainwreck didn't it?

Weiland's latest album is gonna at least a month and probably more like 6 weeks (or more) to match Eddie's first week total from his last album   Tongue
GeraldFord
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2007, 09:34:08 PM »

Weiland's latest album is gonna at least a month and probably more like 6 weeks (or more) to match Eddie's first week total from his last album? ?Tongue

A few months from now let's match up total world-wide sales for Libertad and the last PJ, then we'll see.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:55 PM »

Weiland's latest album is gonna at least a month and probably more like 6 weeks (or more) to match Eddie's first week total from his last album? ?Tongue

A few months from now let's match up total world-wide sales for Libertad and the last PJ, then we'll see.

I was exercising my index finger today by putting on Pearl Jam's greatest hits 2 disc set.  I hit skip like twenty something times.  On two discs, there are 5-7 must listen songs....  The rest are freaking terrible shit I thought was cool a long time ago.  Not dogging on PJ, but their legacy, is well, just like any other 90's band.  Fading fast.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: