Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The 2008/2009 NBA season thread
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2008/2009 NBA season thread  (Read 163145 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2009, 12:18:23 AM »

crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2009, 12:29:29 AM »

I dont think that Jordan made the NBA.  Magic and Bird did. Jordan then flourished in it after those two were done.  He also didnt have the competition that guys like Bird and Magic did. Or that Kobe does now. Jordan's Bulls were far superior to the rest of the league, but I tend to think that says something about the NBA then, not the Bulls.  Which is why the NBA built him as the face of the league and the greatest ever. Also, saying he would have won another two or 3 if he didnt leave...well who knows. Magic would have won his sixth if he didnt get injured in the 88 finals. And if he would have stayed in the league, the Lakers could have stiil been contenders. But, thats livin in the past.
   I just dont subscribe to the "Jordan is the best ever" way of thinking. Best of the 90s, okay. Just like Kobe is the best of the 00s. Magic 80s.  To say best ever, though, there is no one right answer.
  Thanks, D ,for saying more than just "Dumb".

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:04 AM »

Wow.

Say that to Stockton/Malone, Barkley, Payton/Kemp, Wilkins, Ewing's Knicks, Reggie Miller.

You are out of your mind.

Jordan beat Magic.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2009, 12:50:33 AM »

Jordan beat Magic, but he had to wait until the Lakers were on the way out. Just like he had to wait until the Celtics and Pistons were done before he could win the east.  And I hardly consider Barkleys Suns or Paytons Sonics among the great teams. Great players, yeah.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »

It was only Magic's 11th season.

Jordan in his 11th season began a second 3-peat.

crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #285 on: February 09, 2009, 01:31:43 AM »

Jordan in his 11th season began a second 3-peat.
That kinda proves my point about Jordan having to wait for the true greats to be gone before his Bulls could dominate. Anyways, Im done with this. The friggin Lakers beat the Celtics and Cavs back to back and Im talking about Jordan.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #286 on: February 09, 2009, 01:40:21 AM »

No, it proves he could get it done so late in his career.

Kobe is already in his 12th season.

Only 3 rings, 1 MVP award.  No Finals MVP awards.  Jordan played 13 season with "da Bulls."

Whatever.

We busted Boston's two huge winning streaks, and now the Cavs home winning streak.  This is a great sign.  I just hope that we don't have any major injuries on the team.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #287 on: February 09, 2009, 04:18:15 AM »

Great win by the Lakers last night. Not only Lamar had a huge game, but everybody else contributed with good numbers; Fisher shot incredibly well, Gasol hit his numbers, Farmer moved the ball well, Walton was all over the place...in a way, this team reminds me off the 1996 Bulls where everyone was focused and comitted  to do get the job done. It was a great TEAM effort last night by the lakers.

Now, about the lakers trade I don't think it was actually that good though. The lakers are in a very similar situation than last year when Bynum had a two month recovery time frame but ended up not making to the playoffs. This time around, doctors have given a time frame of two months so it seems Andy would be back by time the Playoffs begin. However,  this could not be the case (again). Trading Radmanovic (Sp?) would have been a good move if they'd gotten a big man who can play inside. I don't think it makes sense to worry about next year's salary cap now if that's the reason why they traded Radmanovic.  What if Bynum doesnt come back for the playoffs? To me, the lakers are taking high risk by counting that they will have Andy back by the time playoffs come around. Lakers needs muscle...it doesnt have to be a guy who scores 15 and grabs 11 boards every night, but somebody who at least has presence inside.

Lastly, about the MJ, Kobe, Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain argument...well, MJ is all time's best hands down. Better than Magic, better than Kobe and better than everybody else. You may like Kobe or Magic more than you liked MJ (which is totally dumb if you do) but you just can't deny what Michael contributed to the game. Just need to take a look at individual stats, personal achievements, collective achievements...the guy is the best. You also have to consider his leadership, clutchness (dont even think that word exisits..oh well), determination.... nobody will ever be like MJ.

Kobe has a long way to go to match MJ. Same as Lebron and any other player who deserves to be labeles as GOAT (greatest of all time).

Just a little comparission...

MJ --> 6 MVP regular season awards, 10 scoring titles, 6 MVP finals, 3 or 4 All STart Game MVP, 2 or 3 steals titles, highest scoring average of all time, defensive player of the year, 7 times on the best defensive team of the year, 2 slam dunk titles, rookie of the year...6 Rings and almost 100 buzzer beaters...

Kobe --> 1 MVP regular season, 1 or 2 scoring title, 2 All Star game MVP, 3 rings and 40 buzzer beaters...

Lebron --> 2 all star MVP + 1 scoring title + 1 Rookie of the year

Any comparissions with MJ are ridiculous.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #288 on: February 09, 2009, 07:13:51 AM »

all of Larry Bird's illegitimate children

Wait, what?  hihi

Larry was quite the pimp in his days, 9 illegitimate children with 9 different women.  That's a record that's difficult to break.
shawn kemp has beaten it doens't he?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »

Magic also had Kareem, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Larry had Mchale, Parish, Dennis Johnson

Now I grant u MJ didn't have a rival like the Lakers and celtics did with each other which stopped Bird and Magic from winning more rings.

The only argument I can someone at with MJ is the fact that the Bulls WITHOUT him still went to the East Finals, and would've beat the Knicks if it wasn't for that horrible foul call by Hugh Hollins I think it was on Scottie Pippen

So if the Bulls had went to the Finals and won a title without Jordan... then u could make a tad bit of an argument.

I always use that argument though to show how great Scottie Pippen was and how he isn't overrated.

Jordan's numbers cant be argued with, especially considering the rough,physical, hand checking era of the NBA he played in.

U let Jordan play today with soft defenses and zone defenses and he'd average 45 a game easy

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »

So

I wonder when the NBA will be hit with a steroid scandal?

Ben Wallace, I am looking AT YOU!

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »

Listen, Michael Jordan wasn't my favorite player...but there's no denying he's the best ever.  Case closed. 

I think D brought up Wilt's numbers...none of those match his most important number though:  20,000!   hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
fito_gnr
Headliner

« Reply #292 on: February 10, 2009, 01:43:51 AM »

I just watched the bulls - knicks series from 92. damn that was a tough series, at times it look it like wrestling.  I don?t understand why anyboy will think that lebron is better than MJ

?it?s a fire you can?t stop it?s ROCK N?ROLL?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #293 on: February 10, 2009, 06:35:58 AM »

Listen, Michael Jordan wasn't my favorite player...but there's no denying he's the best ever.  Case closed. 

I think D brought up Wilt's numbers...none of those match his most important number though:  20,000!   hihi

no way in hell that is true?though
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #294 on: February 15, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »

Kobe has 19 shots through 3 quarters of the all star game hihi

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »

all of Larry Bird's illegitimate children

Wait, what?  hihi

Larry was quite the pimp in his days, 9 illegitimate children with 9 different women.  That's a record that's difficult to break.
shawn kemp has beaten it doens't he?
Depends on how you look at it.  Kemp, reportedly has 11 children with 9 different women.  I think Larry's stat is more impressive.  Shawn seems to at least have fallen in love a couple times and had multiple children with a few women.  Larry was one and done with all 9.  So I give the edge to Larry, even though Kemp has him beat in overall numbers.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2009, 12:54:27 AM »

Bird has nine children with nine women?

I never heard that.

anyone notice the similarities between Shaq and Kobe and Axl and Slash?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:57:05 AM by D » Logged

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2009, 02:40:44 AM »

Brought back a lot of memories.

Co-MVP's.  Seemed a little scripted, like those dumb wrestling stories.  Whatever.  It was tight to see those two back up there getting an award together.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »

The NBA is going to miss Shaq when he's gone... easily the most entertaining guy in the league.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2009, 08:51:38 PM »

There aren't any captivating personalities left in the NBA.

Even Iverson got rid of his cornrows.  Lame.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: