Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 06:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Boxing Thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boxing Thread.  (Read 28125 times)
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« on: June 21, 2003, 03:13:46 PM »

Mike Tyson was arrested early Saturday after a brawl with two men outside a Brooklyn hotel and was charged with assault and disorderly conduct.

The former heavyweight champion was treated for minor cuts to his hands after the two men apparently retrieved some type of pole from the hotel lobby and used it against him, police said. They had no further information on the pole.

The brawl broke out about 5:30 a.m. outside the hotel where Tyson was staying, police said. They did not immediately have information on what started the fight.

The Brooklyn district attorney's office said Tyson was expected to be arraigned late Saturday or early Sunday.

Shelly Finkel, adviser to the 36-year-old Brooklyn-born boxer, did not know any of the details of the confrontation.
"I don't know anything except what I heard this morning," Finkel said. "I'm in the process of trying to find out."

Finkel said he spoke to Tyson on Tuesday, and the boxer said he planned to travel to Phoenix.
The two other men in the brawl also were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. Police identified one as Nestor Alvarez, 24, but they did not identify the other.

One of the two men and a woman who was with them were taken to Bellevue Hospital and treated for minor injuries, police said. Tyson was not taken to the hospital.
Tyson, with a long history of legal trouble, was convicted of rape in 1992 and was sentenced to six years in prison. He served three years before being released on parole.

In a Fox television interview last month, Tyson said he was so angry about the conviction he wanted to rape his accuser, former beauty pageant contestant Desiree Washington, and her mother.
In 1997, he bit off a piece of Evander Holyfield's ear during a bout. Tyson's Nevada boxing license was suspended for a year, and he was fined $3 million. In 1999, he was released from a Maryland jail after serving 3 1/2 months for assaulting the two motorists.

Last year, he threw a punch at Lennox Lewis' bodyguard at a news conference announcing a fight between the two, setting off a brawl between Tyson and Lewis.

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 03:12:56 PM »

Lennox Lewis retires as heavyweight champ, and means it.

Lennox Lewis is going out on top, and he insists he won't be back. He retired Friday after a professional career of more than 14 years, the first active heavyweight champion to quit in nearly 50 years.

The 38-year-old boxer said that after months of deliberation he decided to leave the ring rather than defend his WBC title in a rematch against Vitali Klitschko.
``It's a special day in my life,'' Lewis said at a news conference. ``I'd like to announce that June 21, 2003, was my last fight as a professional boxer.''

``It has been a great honor to be the standard bearer of boxing for the last decade,'' he added. ``Let the next era begin.''

Lewis has a 41-1-2 record and is the first reigning world heavyweight champion to quit since Rocky Marciano in 1956. The only other to do so was Gene Tunney in 1928.

``I've completed all my goals and now it's time for me say goodbye,'' Lewis said. ``I definitely wanted to say goodbye at the top and now I am at the top.''

Lewis paid tribute to his idol, Muhammad Ali, who retired with the WBA title in 1978 but came back to lose fights to Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick.

``I will definitely be the third boxer to retire as heavyweight champion, I promise you that,'' Lewis said in ruling out a comeback.

Lewis reportedly has plans to pursue his interest in hip-hop and rap music by promoting bands and producing records and concerts. He said he has accepted a position at a sports management agency.

Lewis, Britain's first world heavyweight champion in more than a century, fought just twice in the last 26 months. He knocked out former undisputed champion Mike Tyson in eight rounds in Memphis, Tenn., in June 2002.

``Mike Tyson was my ultimate fight,'' Lewis said. ``That was the fight that kept me around for a long time. I didn't want to go out without facing him. I didn't want people to say that Mike Tyson was the best around.''

He also defeated Klitschko in Los Angeles last June. Lewis was behind on points when the fight was stopped in the sixth round because Klitschko was cut. The WBC mandated a rematch and ordered Lewis to agree to the fight by March 1 or risk being stripped of the title.

Lewis hadn't even told HBO what he planned to do. The television network paid him millions to fight and had been waiting for months for him to commit to a second Klitschko fight. Lewis said he made up his mind two weeks ago in New York.

``I was thinking about it for a long time. Should I go back in and have one more fight?'' he said. ``But I realized this is the drug of the sport. There is always one more fight and somebody to fight. I didn't want to get caught up in it, and I thought that this is the time when I should gracefully bow out.

``I respect the sport of boxing. Boxing has done so much for me and one of the reasons I am retiring is out of respect for the sport. It's time for the younger generation.''

Lewis leaves a legacy of big wins over Tyson and Evander Holyfield, but also a reputation for aloofness that never allowed him to connect with boxing fans outside Britain and Canada, where he grew up.

With Lewis retired, Klitschko is expected to meet No. 2 contender Corrie Sanders for the WBC title. Lewis said the Klitschko brothers, Vitali and Wladimir, Sanders and another British fighter, 2000 Olympic super-heavyweight champion Audley Harrison, were the most likely to succeed him as WBC champion.

``The challenge is out to them to do what I've done over the past decade,'' Lewis said.

A heavyweight who stood 6-foot-5 but had the boxing skills of a smaller man, Lewis won an Olympic gold medal for Canada in Seoul, South Korea, in 1988 and went on to win the heavyweight title three times. Despite his impressive record, Lewis' performances tended to be plodding rather than inspiring.

His two knockout losses -- to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman -- were major upsets, but he went on to beat both in rematches. His one draw came against Holyfield in a fight most observers felt Lewis won. He later beat Holyfield on points to become undisputed champion.

Lewis became Britain's first major world heavyweight champion since the 1880s when Riddick Bowe relinquished the WBC crown in 1992, dumping the belt in a trash can. Lewis retained the title in the ring a year later by beating Tony Tucker and became undisputed champion in 1999 when he won a rematch with Holyfield.

Despite Lewis' insistence that his retirement was final, British bookmaker William Hill offered odds of 7-2 that he will fight again within two years.

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 04:09:06 PM »

Hmm

Vitali would've killed him in a rematch, though

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 08:19:55 PM »

vitali had no chance against lennox

lewis almost knocked his eye out of the socket and he wasnt even in shape, if lewis was in shape he wouldve killed vitali

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 09:36:04 PM »

mike tyson announced today that he is stepping back in the ring,

tyson vs jones jr, i think its gonna happen, i think tyson will kick his fuckin ass he has to much power

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 01:44:57 PM »

mike tyson announced today that he is stepping back in the ring,

tyson vs jones jr, i think its gonna happen, i think tyson will kick his fuckin ass he has to much power

I don't think so, D. Jones is way too fast for Tyson... I don't think he'll be able to keep up.

(So far does'nt look like we agree on much in the boxing world, eh Wink)

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 02:08:19 PM »

jones is fast but tyson isnt a statue, tyson can move plus royjones has never been hit as hard in his life as tyson will hit him, he's never took a blow nowhere near the power of tyson

vitali had no chance against lennox lewis come on dude, lewis knocked vitali's eye damn near out of its socket, vitali was goin down when the referee stopped it, lewis was pounding his ass and he wasnt even in shape

plus lewis had been training for kirk johnson, vitali stepped in like 2 weeks before the fight, if u train for one guy its hard to just fight someone u havent been preparing for

with proper training lewis would KO him in 6 rounds or less

R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 07:26:05 AM »

Tyson is washed up, bankrupt and a mere shell of the man that won the heavyweight crown at the age of 20 all those years ago.

Roy Jones Jr will run rings round him, hes quicker, hes more mentally stable and an overall better boxer, maybe if you put them in the ring with each other when they are both at there peak it might be different but not now.

Tyson is finished.

I would love love for him to make me eat my words as well, cus i love the guy as a boxing talent.

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 10:05:32 AM »

jones is fast but tyson isnt a statue, tyson can move plus royjones has never been hit as hard in his life as tyson will hit him, he's never took a blow nowhere near the power of tyson

vitali had no chance against lennox lewis come on dude, lewis knocked vitali's eye damn near out of its socket, vitali was goin down when the referee stopped it, lewis was pounding his ass and he wasnt even in shape

plus lewis had been training for kirk johnson, vitali stepped in like 2 weeks before the fight, if u train for one guy its hard to just fight someone u havent been preparing for

with proper training lewis would KO him in 6 rounds or less

Yeah,Lewis fucked up Vitali's eye up real bad--- but he was'nt gonna quit. He won like 5 out of 6 rounds, and was obviously winning the fight when it was stopped (winning it half blind for 50% of the fight BTW) His eye damage was the only reason Lewis got away with a win.

And yeah, Lewis was training for Kirk Jhonson until Johnson got hurt 2 weeks before the fight. But it obviously didn't look like he trained for anybody.

Vitali had also trained for another opponent he was to face that night on that card. But when Jhonson went down, he decided to fill in, knowing he could take Lewis, with only 2 weeks of preparation.

So in not preparing for Jhonson, believing he would take him out easily, he probably didn't step it up for Vitali either, and if it wasn't for that gruesome cut they just couldn't close, he would have lost the belt right then and there.

Evolution
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 10:54:16 AM »

can any of u guys give me any info on jorge paez.is he any good because hes appearing at wwe no way out
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 08:10:22 PM »

Fuck, Wladimir lost against that shmoe.

Seems like it may be over for him. Guess the beating goes to Saunders in a couple weeks against Vitali ok

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 07:01:01 PM »

Roy Jones loses by KO for the first time (his only other loss before this one was a DQ when he hit the other guy when he was on his knees)!

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 08:50:52 AM »

Toney is trying to schedule a fight with Klitschko. Here is the article from FightNews.com: "James Toney, meanwhile, sat ringside in Johnson's corner for the main event and, as is uaually the case, he had a few things to say. "Vitali Klitschko is next on September 24. Hopefully we can announce it soon. I am not holding anything up, the contract is in his hands. I am the draw for the fight, he's just a generic fighter. I deserve the money. I will knock him out and make it his last fight. I'm not gonna' fight for the organizations. I will take away his WBC belt and after I do, I'm gonna' throw it in the trashcan," stated the always-opinionated Toney."

Which one do you think will win?

Toney hasn't fought anyone this tall before, but he can take punishment. I think Vitali Klitschko will win.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 09:35:16 AM »

The only person who could defead Vitali is Lennox, if he makes a comeback because they are pretty equal size wise, so same reach.
Mind you if Toney catches him with a big punch coming in, that could put him out.
For what its worth, i want Toney to win, it will be good for the heavyweight division if he does...

Wonder if Audley will get in the World Title picture soon?

He needs to stop fighting shit opponents really first.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 01:36:03 PM »

vitali sucks and so does the heavyweight competitors.. Just a bunch of fixed numbers manipulated from shitty wins.. maybe larry holmes or george foreman can come back, it's that bad..  A decent heavyweight could hold all belts no problem... Vitali fights very off balance and he hits pretty soft for a man of his size...
I want to tsee arturo fight but fuck pay per view..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 06:07:22 PM »

I dont buy PPVs anymore Mike

Glen JOhnson and ANtonio Tarver was on PPV last Saturday but they showed the fight for free on HBO tuesday night and i watched it

Tarver won unanimous decision

IF you watch one fight watch Bernard Hopkins vs Jumain Taylor

that is gonna be awesome

will Hopkins continue his defense of the title streak or pass the torch to the up and coming taylor?

Arutro is fighting Mayweather isnt he?

that will be a war.

Vitali Klitchsko would lose to Chris Byrd or probably even Lamon Brewster.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 06:22:43 PM »

i think byrd sucks too.. I saw andruw golota got murdered recently ina fight.. Fucking bumbs keep coming back.. The guy tyson fought was complete shit too../
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 04:15:21 AM »

Tyson got beat and fought like shit but I still wont lose faith in him.

I think if somehow he could get the desire and passion back he could still be dominant in that division cause none of those guys are worth of shit and are very very boring.

R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 04:26:08 AM »

Tyson got beat and fought like shit but I still wont lose faith in him.

I think if somehow he could get the desire and passion back he could still be dominant in that division cause none of those guys are worth of shit and are very very boring.

Hes finished...he ruined his legacy by coming back too many times anyway, he should of learned when he got beaten by a very weak Danny Williams...the true nature of how Tyson got beat by Williams was revealed when Williams got anniliated by a boring and lethargic Klitschko who destroyed Williams with a left jab!

We wont see Tyson again, hes said he was only in it for the money, he doesnt have the hunger and im glad his gloves have been hung up before he gets humiliated any further by nobodies.

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 05:54:48 AM »

Toney is trying to schedule a fight with Klitschko. Here is the article from FightNews.com: "James Toney, meanwhile, sat ringside in Johnson's corner for the main event and, as is uaually the case, he had a few things to say. "Vitali Klitschko is next on September 24. Hopefully we can announce it soon. I am not holding anything up, the contract is in his hands. I am the draw for the fight, he's just a generic fighter. I deserve the money. I will knock him out and make it his last fight. I'm not gonna' fight for the organizations. I will take away his WBC belt and after I do, I'm gonna' throw it in the trashcan," stated the always-opinionated Toney."

Which one do you think will win?

Toney hasn't fought anyone this tall before, but he can take punishment. I think Vitali Klitschko will win.

How the hell hasn't Toney been suspended? He tested positive for steriods!! All he got was a $10,000 fine. When Tyson tested positive for weed he got fined $200,000. Slightly unfair?
Besides that, how long can Vitali keep ducking Rahman? I mean, he's gonna have to fight him eventually...back injury, hand injury...the list keeps growing

Anyway, if Toney fought Vitali he'd probably lose, Toney is never in decent shape for a fight, whereas Klitschko trains, because he knows he has little in the way of natural ability.

Mayweather is gonna get a late round KO against Gatti tomorrow night.  They're both awesome fighters, but Mayweather is too slick.

Anyone been reading about Kostya Tzu suffering internal bleeding and bruising of the brain since during his defeat by Hatton? Tzu was supposedly 3rd best p4p in the world before that fight. People were saying Hatton was overrated...I wonder who's gonna be saying that now?

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: