Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  holy shit! this is THE BEST gnr line-up EVER!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: holy shit! this is THE BEST gnr line-up EVER!  (Read 28218 times)
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2009, 01:40:15 PM »

I'm sorry but any line up that doesn't include Izzy in it simply cannot be the best ever. 

The popular arguement is the Slash vs Axl thing.  To me it's irrelevant because Izzy was the glue that held the band together and when he left GnR died.

well, i'm sure izzy will be invited to do some guest appearances.  but let's be honest, the current gnr guitarists can play circles around izzy stradlin.  if you need someone to strum a few chords, izzy's your man.  but can he do finger-tapping?  no.  can he do sweeps?  no.  can he use a kill-switch?  no.  he simply doesn't have the chops to play 99% of the music on chinese democracy.  he just isn't good enough of a guitar player.

LOL@ you trying to discredit Izzy. Who the fuck cares if he can't finger tap? Not the fucking audience rocking out to his songs when GNR plays live, I don't know if you know this but along with Axl,Izzy is the most important songwriter in GNR history. A ton of GNR fans got very excited when Axl mentioned an Izzy song (Down By The River?) when discussing upcoming Guns songs.

On past tours a ton of Izzy material was played live and will continue. This is what the 3rd or 4th ChiDem Tour? They aren't gonna drop all those old songs. If you think the majority of 10,000 fans a night wanna hear ChiDem songs over AFD/LIES/UYI then you got another thing coming. We the hardcore fans on this Forum love the album but we don't represent the 10,000 people at GNR shows in the US.

it's amazing that there are so many psychics on this board.  they seem to know everything about what songs will be popular in 20 years and what songs 'fans' want to hear.  wow... it's kind of a shame that you have these amazing psychic gifts, but only choose to use them on the gnr fan board.  why aren't you guys out solving crimes or finding jimmy hoffa? 

bbf said in his recent interview that they can't wait to get out there and play the new songs from chinese democracy.  kinda shoots some holes in your psychic theory that they won't be playing the new stuff.  sorry, soothe-sayer, but i think i'm going to trust bumblefoot over you when it comes to what songs gnr's been rehearsing for the tour.

since the band members seem to think they'll be playing the new songs, it stands to reason that they'd want musicians in the band who are capable of actually playing that music.  i'm positive that any current member of gnr could play anything izzy ever wrote.  but is the reverse true?  will your slavish fanboy dedication to the mullet years allow you to answer truthfully?

Once again...the namecalling....are you incapable of having an inteligent discussion without namecalling?

how telling that 'name calling' is the only response you have.  i'll consider that to be your attempt at waving a white flag without losing face.  surrender accepted.

How is this surrendering Falungong? Seriously are you incapable of making valid arguments without namecalling? Mulletheads? Slavish fanboys? Your allowed to have your opinion regarding who you think is a better guitar player etc. but when you start namecalling you ruin your point.

oh, boo hoo.  since when did fans of the world's most dangerous rock band get so sensitive? 

okay, okay... i'm sorry i made a joke about people from the 80's having mullets.  i'm also very sorry that i implied that people with slash avitars on a gnr fanboard might be fanboys.  heavens to betsy, i'd hate to imply anything so scandalous! 

now that the apologies are over, maybe you can get back to addressing the many points i made.... specifically, how can you expect the band to play new songs with izzy stradlin if izzy doesn't have the technical chops to play those songs?  i know you're all praying to the reunion gods, but that just defies logic.  it's like van halen trying to tour with kurt cobain on lead guitar.  he simply couldn't play the parts.  it doesn't make logical sense. 

I find it incredibly interesting that someone who goes on specifically what Axl says ( Slash is a cancer) as the truth without keeping an open mind and incapable of making there own opinions calling other people fanboys. Also I think the 80's version of the band was dubbed the worlds most dangerous band. So get your history right. Also when people dont agree with your point you automatically assume that they want a reunion. Look over all of the posts and look for someone asking for a reunion.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »

I'm sorry but any line up that doesn't include Izzy in it simply cannot be the best ever. 

The popular arguement is the Slash vs Axl thing.  To me it's irrelevant because Izzy was the glue that held the band together and when he left GnR died.

well, i'm sure izzy will be invited to do some guest appearances.  but let's be honest, the current gnr guitarists can play circles around izzy stradlin.  if you need someone to strum a few chords, izzy's your man.  but can he do finger-tapping?  no.  can he do sweeps?  no.  can he use a kill-switch?  no.  he simply doesn't have the chops to play 99% of the music on chinese democracy.  he just isn't good enough of a guitar player.

Grin

I can't believe you actually said/wrote that.

Really.

It's Izzy Stradlin' you're talking about.  IZZY STRADLIN'.  Do I REALLY need to list the classics he wrote/co-wrote ?

Of course those other guys are technically more proficient guitar players.

So what ...  Roll Eyes

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »

So voodoo it is ok for u and others to discredit the old band but we can't discredit the new band?

what kind of sense is that?

I am about what u produce and what u accomplish.

Face it, the new band so far hasn't came close to accomplishing what the old band has therefore they can't be the best lineup.

I don't care how FAST or technical u can play. last I checked, music was about what u create and what kind of impact you have on the world.

even the biggest die hard has to admit this version has come nowhere close.

Also, I am not SHITTING on the new band or saying the new band sucks. but being a bit below the Original band is an insult how?

Saying u are just a little below one of the 5 greatest bands that ever lived is a pretty damn good compliment if u ask me.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »

Also on the Izzy thing

If u want amazing classic songwriting, get Izzy Stradlin

If u want Circus tricks call the new guys.

I'll take classic songwriting

IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »

Not only is Izzy a very talented songwriter ( see http://www.myspace.com/izzystradlinfansite ), his laidback / around the beat rhythm guitar style is something you won't find anywhere..

Dissing Izzy is dissing GN'R
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »

what a load of bullshit... now Chinese Democracy, Electric Tears, Colma, Village Gorilla Head are ''circus tricks''... that happens when you haven't listened a damn shit except for ''rock and roll dude'' Appetite For Destruction. None of the old members of this band (that is just one band, one [1]) have ever made an album of the greatness of the worst Buckethead album, not even closer to ''Village Gorilla head'' or even Chris Pitman's Sex Tape. Izzy, a person and musician I love, has never made anything worthy since he left the band, and now he's ''classic'' and the new guys are ''circus tricks''. what a nonsense...

I don't care how FAST or technical u can play. last I checked, music was about what u create

If you really think Buckethead is only a ''fast player'', there is no other option: you have NEVER listened to anything ever made by Buckethead. What is really curious is you already have proofs of how talented and soulful he is in one GNR album, so you dont really need to check his solo stuff.

Its simple: some people wont ever understand that a musician CAN be technical, can play with feeling and can create good music all at the same time.

Buckethead is a genius technically. And he also created 26 studio albums. Oh, and without Axl.

and what kind of impact you have on the world.

Do you really think the ''impact'' matters to judge the quality of the music?

Well, you might be the kind of guy who would choose a Jonas Brothers album rather than a Paul Gilbert one, simply because the JB can sellout stadiums and Gilbert does shows for 400 people. Good for you. You need to know there are millions of people out there who listen the same music than you, you need others to justify your conduct. Clearly not my case though.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »

Buckethead last I checked wasn't in this band we are discussing

I'll take SCOM riff and solo over anything though.

why are u comparing Guns N Roses to the Jonas Bros?

That is really fucking weird to me, first voodoo compares them to Britney and now u are comparing them to Jonas?

Are u a fan of Guns N Roses? Cause u are dissing Axl with that bullshit also

IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:09 PM »

Izzy, a person and musician I love, has never made anything worthy since he left the band

Lots of people think otherwise yes Actually if you look at the basis of lots of Izzy songs you'll find them not different from lots of GN'R songs (pre-CD).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04pBe4_uEuI

Maybe 'Sweet Caress' will change your mind Tongue
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »

SO?

what is with the what have u done for me lately?

izzy is still a genius and amazing regardless if ever picks up a guitar again

what have any member of GNR presently done that is so amazing before GNR outside of Tommy?

that lick on Bye Bye Bye by Fortus is hendrix like! massive!

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »

what a load of bullshit... now Chinese Democracy, Electric Tears, Colma, Village Gorilla Head are ''circus tricks''... that happens when you haven't listened a damn shit except for ''rock and roll dude'' Appetite For Destruction. None of the old members of this band (that is just one band, one [1]) have ever made an album of the greatness of the worst Buckethead album, not even closer to ''Village Gorilla head'' or even Chris Pitman's Sex Tape. Izzy, a person and musician I love, has never made anything worthy since he left the band, and now he's ''classic'' and the new guys are ''circus tricks''. what a nonsense...

I don't care how FAST or technical u can play. last I checked, music was about what u create

If you really think Buckethead is only a ''fast player'', there is no other option: you have NEVER listened to anything ever made by Buckethead. What is really curious is you already have proofs of how talented and soulful he is in one GNR album, so you dont really need to check his solo stuff.

Its simple: some people wont ever understand that a musician CAN be technical, can play with feeling and can create good music all at the same time.

Buckethead is a genius technically. And he also created 26 studio albums. Oh, and without Axl.

Well, you might be the kind of guy who would choose a Jonas Brothers album rather than a Paul Gilbert one, simply because the JB can sellout stadiums and Gilbert does shows for 400 people. Good for you. You need to know there are millions of people out there who listen the same music than you, you need others to justify your conduct. Clearly not my case though.

Man, you're high.  You have to be to say the bullshit you just said.  The first Izzy solo album is heads above anything the new guys have done outside of GnR.  I've tried BH's stuff but most of it is just noodling and rambling guitar instrumentals that go nowhere.

It's obvious that you have not listened without prejudice.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »

^ Try Village Gorilla Head. To me, it's light years ahead of any Izzy album.

It gets difficult to keep up when people choose to fabricate fairy tales about what they think is being suggested as opposed to what one's post actually states.
Oh really? And what about your perpection of what a virtuoso is? You said once how Bumblefoot is not a virtuoso, which clearly show how you have no clue what you're talking about.

Also nice to see you avoiding arguments with sarcasm shit. Nice try.

In this guy's case, if you don't think Robin's playing is "timeless"(which it's not), it's interpreted to mean that you hate the new band and album.
Esteban already pointed out, but you seem to like to bring the other thread to this. Really, taking cheap shots doesn't help your trolling.

I havent heard anyone whine about the album or demand a reunion in this thread.
You really should re-read what has been saying in this thread. You know, they don't have to put so litteral to do such a thing. There's some people who's been ALWAYS complaining about the current band, ALWAYS bringing the old members to EVERY SINGLE THREAD. You don't have to look much for find them.

Yes, I have no doubt that Izzy could do what Fortus does for the band.  Afterall, it seems that Fortus and Huge were trying their damnedest to be Izzy.  Can Izzy solo like BBF or Bucket, probably not but he could do Robin's stuff too.
Wow, what a load of bullshit.

Fortus and Huge are trying to be Izzy? WTF?

And Izzy could play Robin's stuff? Really? Roll Eyes

So voodoo it is ok for u and others to discredit the old band but we can't discredit the new band?
Did I say that? Where?

All I'm saying is: there's no FACT in anyone opinion. You just CAN'T say AFD is better for a fact, because you're judging it by its popularity and in a whole different scenario.

Face it, the new band so far hasn't came close to accomplishing what the old band has therefore they can't be the best lineup.
Hence why I brought Britney and esteban Jonas Brothers. Because you care TOO MUCH about what they achieve in sales and hits. It's called logic.

That is really fucking weird to me, first voodoo compares them to Britney and now u are comparing them to Jonas?

Nice try to twist it.

Use some logic in there.

You say what matters is hits and albums sold. We say what matters is quality - which is personal opinion. Do the math. Or do I need to draw it?

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2009, 03:45:37 PM »

Easy now.

That's what you say.  I happen to love most of Buckethead's back catalogue, for example.

Which cd is better than which other cd, that's a ridiculous discussion.  To each his own, you like this, I like that.  Fair enough.

But the REAL issue here, is that one guy dissing Izzy Stradlin'.  

I don't care what anyone out there thinks of Izzy or GNR or whatever.

But if you're a 'GNR fan' (however stupid that sounds), and you diss Izzy Stradlin' and hype the new guys...

Need I say more ?  Grin

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »

You know with all the fan fare that is going on with ex-members of G&R I wouldn't be surprised within the next ten years the original G&R will do a reunion tour. Think about it. Almost every original group who some members had left or the group broke up for whatever reasons have formed back together. Even the original Pink Floyd got together for one day to do some type of benefit.  hihi
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »

You know with all the fan fare that is going on with ex-members of G&R I wouldn't be surprised within the next ten years the original G&R will do a reunion tour. Think about it. Almost every original group who some members had left or the group broke up for whatever reasons have formed back together. Even the original Pink Floyd got together for one day to do some type of benefit.  hihi

Dude, come on. There's absolutely no indication that is going to happen and more importantly....that isn't the argument here.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »

Izzy, a person and musician I love, has never made anything worthy since he left the band

Lots of people think otherwise yes Actually if you look at the basis of lots of Izzy songs you'll find them not different from lots of GN'R songs (pre-CD).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04pBe4_uEuI

Maybe 'Sweet Caress' will change your mind Tongue

Thanks man, but trust me: I have heard everything related in one way or another to Guns. I'm one of those audio freaks, I literally buy anything that's official and collect anything un-official (bootlegs). I've also heard plenty of live stuff from Izzy solo career.

Different to the guy who claims Buckethead is just ''circus tricks''. The kind of comment that reminds me of the first discussions about Bucket in this forum, back in 2002/2003.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »

Common, We ALL know the appetite era line up was the best.

no.

say there'd be 2 gigs tomorrow, one by GNR of 87, and the other GNR of today, I'd go see the latter. No waver.

I hear RS  had lots of hit songs in the 70s. so did US in the 80s. not now altho the lineups  are the same.
Does that mean those bands were better then?

well, I wouldnt want to go see the GNR lineup of 87 in 2009. There no question about it I would rather see the present incarnation. No waver.
But if I had the possibility to go back in time and see Guns n roses in 1987.
I would rather see them and not 2009 GNR, in 2009 Tongue

a gig by GNR of 87 tommorrow I meant that hair metal looking la band in their early 20s, and not in their 40s, pretty unknown with no hit playing  in our time via some excellent adventure.

say there'd be 2 gigs tomorrow, one by GNR of 87, and the other GNR of today, I'd go see the latter. No waver.

Well, fortunately for you, you wouldn't be in the group of fans who would have to worry about camping out overnight for tickets. 

I said of 87 not of 91.

I ain't sure if you'd like it considering you seem to look down on people who are young or obscure.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:06:42 PM by ppbebe » Logged
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2009, 04:06:52 PM »

You really should re-read what has been saying in this thread. You know, they don't have to put so litteral to do such a thing. There's some people who's been ALWAYS complaining about the current band, ALWAYS bringing the old members to EVERY SINGLE THREAD. You don't have to look much for find them.

[

I thought the name of the topic was best lineup ever? So we're not allowed to include any of the old lineups in this discussion without you accusing us of wanting a reunion? Cmon.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »

Man, you're high.  You have to be to say the bullshit you just said.  The first Izzy solo album is heads above anything the new guys have done outside of GnR.  I've tried BH's stuff but most of it is just noodling and rambling guitar instrumentals that go nowhere.

It's obvious that you have not listened without prejudice.

now, honestly, what have you heard from the solo careers of the new guys? Have you ever heard at least ONE (1) track from each of them?

That ''i've tried BH's stuff and [,,,]'', in the best of the cases, sounds to me like you have downloaded 4 or 5 random mp3 from emule...and that's it.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »

^ Try Village Gorilla Head. To me, it's light years ahead of any Izzy album.

It gets difficult to keep up when people choose to fabricate fairy tales about what they think is being suggested as opposed to what one's post actually states.
Oh really? And what about your perpection of what a virtuoso is? You said once how Bumblefoot is not a virtuoso, which clearly show how you have no clue what you're talking about.

Also nice to see you avoiding arguments with sarcasm shit. Nice try.

In this guy's case, if you don't think Robin's playing is "timeless"(which it's not), it's interpreted to mean that you hate the new band and album.
Esteban already pointed out, but you seem to like to bring the other thread to this. Really, taking cheap shots doesn't help your trolling.

Yes, I have no doubt that Izzy could do what Fortus does for the band.  Afterall, it seems that Fortus and Huge were trying their damnedest to be Izzy.  Can Izzy solo like BBF or Bucket, probably not but he could do Robin's stuff too.
Wow, what a load of bullshit.

Fortus and Huge are trying to be Izzy? WTF?

And Izzy could play Robin's stuff? Really? Roll Eyes

Did I say that? Where?

All I'm saying is: there's no FACT in anyone opinion. You just CAN'T say AFD is better for a fact, because you're judging it by its popularity and in a whole different scenario.

Hence why I brought Britney and esteban Jonas Brothers. Because you care TOO MUCH about what they achieve in sales and hits. It's called logic.

Nice try to twist it.

Use some logic in there.

You say what matters is hits and albums sold. We say what matters is quality - which is personal opinion. Do the math. Or do I need to draw it?

OK maybe not the Robin stuff.  But what does Fortus add that Izzy hasn't done already?  Izzy was Axl's Keith.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »

Last I checked, fortus contributed absolutely nothing to CD

so for anyone to include him in guitar debate for me is just premature.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: