Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 01:14:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  July 15th: Live Chat with DJ Ashba
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 15th: Live Chat with DJ Ashba  (Read 60437 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2009, 04:10:26 AM »

If there is no songwriting, there is nowhere to put a guitar solo

if there are no songs, u have no band.

what's so hard to understand about that?

Jim Bob always talks about the new band doing this

well if Slash,Duff,Izzy didn't write the music to those songs, there would be nothing for the new band to play cept for CD stuff.

It's a headscratcher how people try to downplay the importance of songwriting.

without songwriting u have NOTHING

On more point on this, using Paul Huge/Richard Fortus as an example.  Paul is a very solid songwriter, but he's not very comfortable in a live setting.   If i was recording an album and needed a songwriter, I'd use Paul.  If I was about to tour, I'd probably use Richard Fortus as he has amazing energy on stage and is an great guitarist, whether or not he's a songwriter remains to be seen.   Both guys have been extremely valuable to GnR over the last decade.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2009, 04:24:27 AM »

One more point on this, using Paul Huge/Richard Fortus as an example.  Paul is a very solid songwriter, but he's not very comfortable in a live setting.   If i was recording an album and needed a songwriter, I'd use Paul.  If I was about to tour, I'd probably use Richard Fortus as he has amazing energy on stage and is an great guitarist, whether or not he's a songwriter remains to be seen.   Both guys have been extremely valuable to GnR over the last decade.

A lot of it is about finding the right balance though.  Id hate to think that there was two bands.  One for the studio/writing and one for touring.  I just hate the thoughts of that.  I agree with you in a lot of ways, when im at a show, i dont care who wrote what i just wanna have a good time.  But i agree with D that it is important to have players that can write so a balance is needed.

In the old band (sorry for bringing it up), each member had their own role.  So the new band need more continuity and let them shine in their roles! Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2009, 04:51:12 AM »

Finally GNR have a true proven amazing songwriter in this band and this dude is the real deal and will put GNR back into the mainstream

I take it you've never heard of Tommy Stinson.  Been in the band since 1998?  Been playing in a band full time since he was 11 years old?

Richard is also an accomplished proven songwriter.  If some people bothered to check out these guys back-catalogues, you'd see...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:56:00 AM by MrRedfield » Logged
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2009, 06:10:43 AM »

Perfect, Bash n Pop, Village Gorilla head and the replacements are always on my ipod playlist Smiley

Tommy is a great songwriter, but i prefer him solo or in the replacements, sounds more genuine that way. in gnr he's just the bass player. in the replacements he's the bass player as well, but i think it feels more of his kinda music.

i never heard him in soul asylum though

Chinese Democracy!
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2009, 07:35:01 AM »

On more point on this, using Paul Huge/Richard Fortus as an example.  Paul is a very solid songwriter, but he's not very comfortable in a live setting.   If i was recording an album and needed a songwriter, I'd use Paul.  If I was about to tour, I'd probably use Richard Fortus as he has amazing energy on stage and is an great guitarist.

I wouldn't say he's a very strong song writer..He's collaberated w/ a handful of people on Back off Bitch and a couple of CD songs....
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »

Hi!!!  ... this is me on DJ?s right !!!!

It seems there were almost only chicks in the chat or is this an incorrect screenshot? That's a cool part to be a Guns fan, always some good looking (rock) bitches around  hihi

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »

If there is no songwriting, there is nowhere to put a guitar solo

if there are no songs, u have no band.

what's so hard to understand about that?

Jim Bob always talks about the new band doing this

well if Slash,Duff,Izzy didn't write the music to those songs, there would be nothing for the new band to play cept for CD stuff.

It's a headscratcher how people try to downplay the importance of songwriting.

without songwriting u have NOTHING

On more point on this, using Paul Huge/Richard Fortus as an example.  Paul is a very solid songwriter, but he's not very comfortable in a live setting.   If i was recording an album and needed a songwriter, I'd use Paul.  If I was about to tour, I'd probably use Richard Fortus as he has amazing energy on stage and is an great guitarist, whether or not he's a songwriter remains to be seen.   Both guys have been extremely valuable to GnR over the last decade.

Oh absolutely I agree. I am just saying at times u value the live performance over the songwriting and I feel that songwriting doesn't always get the credit it deserves

Some of u guys make it seem like just anybody could write this amazing stuff in the GNR catalog and I simply don't agree.

Me saying DJ is better at songwriting than Robin just means that DJ has his pulse on the music industry right now in a way that I feel will allow GNR to make an album that will not only still be epic but will be a little more in tune to the mainstream of today.

if he can write top rock hits for Sixx A.M. and Motley, imagine what he can do working with Axl

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2009, 10:02:23 AM »

Finally GNR have a true proven amazing songwriter in this band and this dude is the real deal and will put GNR back into the mainstream

I take it you've never heard of Tommy Stinson.  Been in the band since 1998?  Been playing in a band full time since he was 11 years old?

Richard is also an accomplished proven songwriter.  If some people bothered to check out these guys back-catalogues, you'd see...

I apologize, I was speaking of the guitarist

How many songs did Richard write on CD?

Thanks

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »

It seems there were almost only chicks in the chat or is this an incorrect screenshot? That's a cool part to be a Guns fan, always some (rock) bitches around  hihi

Oh that's quite a correct statement.  I'd say it was at least 80% chicks in the chat, many of which who weren't fans of GNR, just DJ.  DJ has quite the female following.  That's why I don't get a lot of people complaining that he didn't talk enough about GNR.  They don't realize 80% of the people in the chat could care less about GNR, they were there to talk to DJ.  Maybe if he ever decides to do this in the future he should add a ALL GNR room to the mansion (as he has an All Girls Suite and even an All Girls Shower), then again he might decide to avoid that room altogether due to some some fans asking ridiculous questions over and over again.  I thought he handled himself well.  It was a nice gesture and MOST of the people who were in there seemed to really enjoy it, so mission accomplished.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:04:34 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
dimitrisaxl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »

I apologize, I was speaking of the guitarist

Thanks
One less than Robin!  Grin
bobby_jean
Opening Act

« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »

LOL, he could've asked this guitar god anything, and all he could come up with was a question about Axl's braids? I've lost my faith in mankind.  confused

Guitar God? jeez. that's not even remotely true...

do u call a guitar god to anyone who puts out records and plays guitar?

p.s. i love Ashba just as much as the next guy, but his best record is beautiful creatures and that's not even close to a guitar god standard.

his solo album is pretty sick as well, but then again u don't get to be a guitar god based on two proper records, you need the majority of the world agreeing that you did something new to the scene. i.e. Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Malmsteen, Jimmy Page, Slash, Joe Perry. regardless of personal taste those will go down in history as guitar gods hands down. Ashba isn't even near their league yet... being in guns could help that if he happens to do anything that catches people's attention. still, hard shoes to fill no matter who you think he's replacing, from slash to bucket or robin

Whatever man. He's an awesome guitar player. Sometimes I wish all the "old" guitar gods would disappear and make room for new ones. I'm really tired of hearing about Malmsteen and Steve Vai. They're great, but it sucks that people keep comparing new guitarists to them. There's always someone who plays faster, who's made more records, who's style is cooler etc... Sometimes you just need to stop and enjoy the music, you know? And yes, I consider a lot of people guitar gods.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2009, 11:39:27 AM »

Oh that's quite a correct statement.  I'd say it was at least 80% chicks in the chat, many of which who weren't fans of GNR, just DJ.  DJ has quite the female following.  That's why I don't get a lot of people complaining that he didn't talk enough about GNR.  They don't realize 80% of the people in the chat could care less about GNR, they were there to talk to DJ.  Maybe if he ever decides to do this in the future he should add a ALL GNR room to the mansion (as he has an All Girls Suite and even an All Girls Shower),

dj's harem?

the complainers just don't know where the fuck they are.

GNR forum fans, don't say you weren't warned.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »

None.  Doesn't mean he can't write though... just that by the time he came aboard the record had already been written.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2009, 11:57:10 AM »

It's like asking how many songs did dj wrote on cd or on any gnr albums ? none

richard's written for his projects and others and so has dj. richard kickass at gnr shows and so will dj.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »

DARREN Is COOL...

thankz ashba by you time

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »

richard's written for his projects and others and so has dj. richard kickass at gnr shows and so will dj.

Did u even read what I said?

DJ wrote Life Is Beautiful, the entire Saints of Los Angeles CD by Motley Crue

Give me some examples of what Richard wrote that is on the level of this

This isn't about live guitar playing. This is about songwriting.

DJ has proven he can deliver the hits which is why he is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE addition to GNR.

Headliner

Do you know where the f@*k you are?

« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

DJ has proven he can deliver the hits which is why he is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE addition to GNR.

Sorry but I don't want GnR to sound like either Motley or Sixx AM.  The Hanson boys have delivered as many hits as DJ, but I don't think we want GnR to sound like Mmm Bop either.  Let's all wait and see what happens here before anointing DJ as the second coming of Slash, etc.  Again, I would rather see Robin or Bucket back, but look forward to what's next as long as it is more Jungle or Better than Girls, Girls, Girls or Saints of Los Angeles.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »

Well there is the Love Spit Love albums and the Honkey Toast stuff. Those records are far and beyond better then the Motley record and anything else DJ has done IMHO.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »

whatever you call "hits he wrote" and if anyone agrees or not doesnt mean shit in the end as its just absolutley only guessing what he brings to the Axl table and how the collaboration works out. this yet has to be proven for fans' ears. we could fairly judge when being able to hear new music he did write and record with Axl.......and taking a look in the GN'R release book this might take a few years. add that Axl said they'd like to work/tour with CD ~2 years. and we dont even have tourdates yet. regarding this we can hope that plans dramastically change again but i wouldnt bet on it.

Re-Union time, baby!!
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2009, 03:06:08 PM »

It seems there were almost only chicks in the chat or is this an incorrect screenshot? That's a cool part to be a Guns fan, always some good looking (rock) bitches around  hihi

It doesn't look like the right screen shot to me - in the rooms I went to all the girl avatars were nude . . .  and all fighting to get their avatar closest to Dj  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: