Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:59:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227939 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Izzy's "demotion"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Izzy's "demotion"  (Read 53716 times)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »

Sure, sarcasm is a great defense when you are engaged in a battle of wits unarmed.

Emily, you are in full blown "Baghdad Bob" territory here this afternoon.  Mockery seemed the only reasonable response.

Axl had wide support?  The booing at the event was staged?  These are serious responses?

Why stop there?  Let's put our heads together and explain away every bad thing that has ever happened to the man.

Here, I'll start.  James Hetfield asked to be deliberately burned to make Axl take the stage before he was ready.

Now, you go.  

I clearly stated it was my opinion, sort of like all those opinions you have and state as fact. Cheesy

I said a lot of support from people that realize how corrupt the RRHOF is.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:28:53 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »

You are trying to devalue and discredit the main influence of the band , it is laughable.

I don't think he is trying to devalue or discredit Axl. However he is trying to say he was not the MAIN influence in the band the way you like to believe.

He was the main influence, you are undervaluing what he actually contributed, how he influenced the others and what he brought in.

That's a matter of opinion, and that is why some people, me included, disagree with you.
We are not putting Axl down because we give credit to the other guys.

No, it is not opinion -it is very apparent if you are actually aware of the details.

Whose lyrics made SCOM? Who brought in NR? Who brought in Estranged? There are too many items to mention, I suggest you do some research.

Whose Lyrics? Are you kidding me ? Are you reducing SCOM to Axl's lyrics? SCOM owes as much to Axl's lyrics as much as it does Slash's incredible solos.

Try and keep up so I don't have to type this twice.

SCOM was a guitar exercise that likely would have stayed that way if left to Slash.

Sorry for having a little bit more of a life than you  hihi
That's just assuming, if Axl wasnt there, who's to say anybody else, Izzy for example wouldn't have picked up the song and added to it to make it succesful, even if different ? parallel galaxy talk isnt very good conversation talk though.

So now you go to personal insults about "not having a life"
Not surprised, looks bad on you.

Fact is , it was a guitar exercise and would have stayed that way if left up to Slash.

Slash came up with the riff when he was playing around on his guitar. He thought it was silly and wanted nothing to do with it, but Axl loved it and had him keep playing it. Izzy Stradlin added some chords, and the song came together. According to Duff McKagan's 2012 autobiography, Slash always considered it the worst Guns N' Roses song.

That's not what I said, I said I had a bit more of a life than you. WHich means you have a life, but I have little bit more of ? Ok?  I think you calling me a nerd is more a straightforward insult than my lil dig at you though.

However that's no fact. You don't know whether that Riff would have stayed like that. As a matter of fact, the way Slash remembers it on his book, He started doing the ''excercise'' and then (I think it was izzy and duff) joined and Axl was upstairs or in another room listening to their playing and wrote the lyrics, and it wasnt until the next day or so that he brought in the lyrics to the rest of the guys. So technically it was not Axl who said.. hey keep playing? it was the other guys hanging around with Slash in that specific moment.
So there goes your theory that it was just an exercise, the exercise became something with the other guys and Axl picked up on that organic something !

It's still an implied personal insult but if you can't control your nerd rage, I guess it is to be expected Cheesy

Here's a quote from Slash

One afternoon, when the smoke was still clearing from the night before, Duff, Izzy and I were sitting around on the floor --- we didn?t have any furniture anymore --- and I was dicking around with that riff. In all honestly, I don?t really know where the riff came from but, all of a sudden, it started to sound really cool. Izzy started playing acoustic behind it and the chord changes started coming together. Axl was upstairs in his bedroom and he overheard it. A couple of days after we had put together our simple riff/chord structure, Axl said, ?Play that song you guys were playing the other day.? We were like, ?What song?? He goes, ?That one with that do do dodo do doo do do.? He had written a bunch of lyrics to it without us even knowing about it. It came together relatively quickly. We started rehearsing it and we wrote it from one end to the other that night [Classic Rock Revisited, September 2010]

I think you are the queen of implied personal insults in this forum. Nerd Rage? You see, you keep going.
Btw, that quoted text further proves my point. There was already something aside from the ''Exercise''. Axl said, ?Play that song "?. He didnt say do that exercise you were doing. He said play that song.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »

I like the notion that since Axl isn't a lead guitar player, he apparently can't give any kind of constructive criticism or input on how the guitar melody should go, or the sound of it.
Like humming a melody and having somebody repeat it on an instrument isn't possible.

The guy plays guitar on UYI!
But yet, the one who can't give him any credit, disregard all this...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »

You are trying to devalue and discredit the main influence of the band , it is laughable.

I don't think he is trying to devalue or discredit Axl. However he is trying to say he was not the MAIN influence in the band the way you like to believe.

He was the main influence, you are undervaluing what he actually contributed, how he influenced the others and what he brought in.

That's a matter of opinion, and that is why some people, me included, disagree with you.

No, it is not opinion -it is very apparent if you are actually aware of the details.

Whose lyrics made SCOM? Who brought in NR? Who brought in Estranged? There are too many items to mention, I suggest you do some research.

Whose Lyrics? Are you kidding me ? Are you reducing SCOM to Axl's lyrics? SCOM owes as much to Axl's lyrics as much as it does Slash's incredible solos.

SCOM was a guitar exercise that likely would have stayed that way if left to Slash.

That's just assuming, if Axl wasnt there, who's to say anybody else, Izzy for example wouldn't have picked up the song and added to it to make it succesful, even if different ? parallel galaxy talk isnt very good conversation talk though.

Fact is , it was a guitar exercise and would have stayed that way if left up to Slash.

Slash came up with the riff when he was playing around on his guitar. He thought it was silly and wanted nothing to do with it, but Axl loved it and had him keep playing it. Izzy Stradlin added some chords, and the song came together. According to Duff McKagan's 2012 autobiography, Slash always considered it the worst Guns N' Roses song.

That's not what I said, I said I had a bit more of a life than you. WHich means you have a life, but I have little bit more of ? Ok?  I think you calling me a nerd is more a straightforward insult than my lil dig at you though.

However that's no fact. You don't know whether that Riff would have stayed like that. As a matter of fact, the way Slash remembers it on his book, He started doing the ''excercise'' and then (I think it was izzy and duff) joined and Axl was upstairs or in another room listening to their playing and wrote the lyrics, and it wasnt until the next day or so that he brought in the lyrics to the rest of the guys. So technically it was not Axl who said.. hey keep playing? it was the other guys hanging around with Slash in that specific moment.
So there goes your theory that it was just an exercise, the exercise became something with the other guys and Axl picked up on that organic something !

It's still an implied personal insult but if you can't control your nerd rage, I guess it is to be expected Cheesy

One afternoon, when the smoke was still clearing from the night before, Duff, Izzy and I were sitting around on the floor --- we didn?t have any furniture anymore --- and I was dicking around with that riff. In all honestly, I don?t really know where the riff came from but, all of a sudden, it started to sound really cool. Izzy started playing acoustic behind it and the chord changes started coming together. Axl was upstairs in his bedroom and he overheard it. A couple of days after we had put together our simple riff/chord structure, Axl said, ?Play that song you guys were playing the other day.? We were like, ?What song?? He goes, ?That one with that do do dodo do doo do do.? He had written a bunch of lyrics to it without us even knowing about it. It came together relatively quickly. We started rehearsing it and we wrote it from one end to the other that night [Classic Rock Revisited, September 2010]

I think you are the queen of implied personal insults in this forum. Nerd Rage? You see, you keep going.
Btw, that quoted text further proves my point. There was already something aside from the ''Exercise''. Axl said, ?Play that song "?. He didnt say do that exercise you were doing. He said play that song.

It was an Exercise Slash was playing. It may have continued to be an exercise if left up to Slash.

I think the 'Sweet Child O' Mine' influence pops up because it's a single-note style of mine, especially when I do this octave thing around a melody. I have to give Axl credit, because if he hadn't recognized it as being great, I wouldn't have used it, I thought it was a joke. It was just me doing a lick with chord changes underneath to gave it some movement. Then Axl came in and started singing it. I hated that song until after '88 or '89. We were touring with Aerosmith, and it was such a huge hit you couldn't ignore it [Velvet Revolver, Total Guitar #121 April 2004]

"Shut the fuck up."
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2015, 03:35:07 PM »

I like the notion that since Axl isn't a lead guitar player, he apparently can't give any kind of constructive criticism or input on how the guitar melody should go, or the sound of it.
Like humming a melody and having somebody repeat it on an instrument isn't possible.

The guy plays guitar on UYI!
But yet, the one who can't give him any credit, disregard all this...

/jarmo

Axl wrote 'em all, man. Those fucking hacks, Slash, Izzy, Duff? They were just riding his coattails man, his fucking coattails. Axl wrote every lick, riff, and solo man. It's been Axl's gig from the beginning man.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »

Axl wrote 'em all, man. Those fucking hacks, Slash, Izzy, Duff? They were just riding his coattails man, his fucking coattails. Axl wrote every lick, riff, and solo man. It's been Axl's gig from the beginning man.

Right place, right time.  The pack of 'em.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »

It was an Exercise Slash was playing. It may have continued to be an exercise if left up to Slash.

I think the 'Sweet Child O' Mine' influence pops up because it's a single-note style of mine, especially when I do this octave thing around a melody. I have to give Axl credit, because if he hadn't recognized it as being great, I wouldn't have used it, I thought it was a joke. It was just me doing a lick with chord changes underneath to gave it some movement. Then Axl came in and started singing it. I hated that song until after '88 or '89. We were touring with Aerosmith, and it was such a huge hit you couldn't ignore it [Velvet Revolver, Total Guitar #121 April 2004]

You keep calling it an exercise even when Axl called it a song.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2015, 03:38:04 PM »

Once again, you can't seem to come back with something of substance.

Why do you hate Axl?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »

Slash: When I came up with the "Sweet Child"... the main riff in the beginning, it was a joke. I was only kidding. And for some reason, Ax and Iz liked it, and it turned into a song, and for the longest time I hated it, cos it really was a joke to me. And now that it's become established, I enjoy playing it. When we did it in the studio, I started to respect it a little bit more. But when we were rehearsing, I used to cranch every time the name of that song came up. I didn't want to play it. But things have changed and I enjoy playing it now and the kids go nuts when we play it live

Slash: The band was signed already, and the rest of the band had moved on to greener pastures, living with some girls or something. But where Izzy and I lived, we had no electricity and no hot water. It was a house some manager - with whom we had no intentions of working - rented us, which we destroyed completely. And on an evening everybody happened to be there, I was sitting in front of the broken down fireplace going [sings opening bars of intro riff]. It was literally a joke! The next thing you know, Izzy started playing the basic chords, Axl got inspired and started singing, and it became a whole song.5

Slash: Sweet Child O' Mine" was a joke. It was a fluke. I was sitting around making funny faces and acting like an idiot and played that riff. Izzy started playing the chords that I was playing, strumming them, and all of a sudden Axl really liked it. I hated that song because it was so stupid at first. I hated the guitar part. Now I really like it because I've gotten it to the point where it sounds really good when I play it live, and I'm so used to the song so I like it a lot more. But it definitely wasn't something I hummed out in my head. It was more like me fucking around with the guitar.9

Slash: [Izzy] came up with some chords and since Duff was there, he came up with a bass line, as Steven planned out his drum beat. Within an hour my little guitar exercise had become something else. [...] We'd found a rehearsal studio in Burbank called Burbank Studios. [...] At our next session, we worked our new song into a complete movement: we wrote a bridge, added a guitar solo, and so it became "Sweet Child O' Mine".13

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »

Why do you hate Axl?

/jarmo

Why do you hate Slash, Izzy and Duff?
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »

Why do you hate Axl?

/jarmo

hihi

The way I see it nobody hates anyone. But some hate that others give more credit to one rather than the other.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #251 on: November 09, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »

Why do you hate Axl?

I don't.

Failed to answer my question again!
So, I guess you really do hate Axl. Stop hating Axl!!!!! Troll face!

You're not the only one who can jump to conclusions.

By the way, Axl giving feedback on music recorded by the band has been reported in the past. It's nothing new.
You just fail to acknowledge this. Imagine that, he can tell the others what needs to be changed in a song, or mix, without him playing the instruments himself!

Magic!!!!

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:47:39 PM by jarmo » Logged

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #252 on: November 09, 2015, 03:53:12 PM »

Slash even admits it was an exercise even if you don't

Lead guitarist Slash has been quoted as having an initial disdain for the song due to its roots as simply a "string skipping" exercise and a joke at the time.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #253 on: November 09, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »

The way I see it nobody hates anyone. But some hate that others give more credit to one rather than the other.

No one hates anyone, I agree.

But some do question certain decisions that were made and how things played out, and others think you got some fucking balls uttering anything that is not a full on valentine.

Same as it ever was.  And will be.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #254 on: November 09, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »

Slash: When I came up with the "Sweet Child"... the main riff in the beginning, it was a joke. I was only kidding. And for some reason, Ax and Iz liked it, and it turned into a song, and for the longest time I hated it, cos it really was a joke to me. And now that it's become established, I enjoy playing it. When we did it in the studio, I started to respect it a little bit more. But when we were rehearsing, I used to cranch every time the name of that song came up. I didn't want to play it. But things have changed and I enjoy playing it now and the kids go nuts when we play it live

Slash: The band was signed already, and the rest of the band had moved on to greener pastures, living with some girls or something. But where Izzy and I lived, we had no electricity and no hot water. It was a house some manager - with whom we had no intentions of working - rented us, which we destroyed completely. And on an evening everybody happened to be there, I was sitting in front of the broken down fireplace going [sings opening bars of intro riff]. It was literally a joke! The next thing you know, Izzy started playing the basic chords, Axl got inspired and started singing, and it became a whole song.5

Slash: Sweet Child O' Mine" was a joke. It was a fluke. I was sitting around making funny faces and acting like an idiot and played that riff. Izzy started playing the chords that I was playing, strumming them, and all of a sudden Axl really liked it. I hated that song because it was so stupid at first. I hated the guitar part. Now I really like it because I've gotten it to the point where it sounds really good when I play it live, and I'm so used to the song so I like it a lot more. But it definitely wasn't something I hummed out in my head. It was more like me fucking around with the guitar.9

Slash: [Izzy] came up with some chords and since Duff was there, he came up with a bass line, as Steven planned out his drum beat. Within an hour my little guitar exercise had become something else. [...] We'd found a rehearsal studio in Burbank called Burbank Studios. [...] At our next session, we worked our new song into a complete movement: we wrote a bridge, added a guitar solo, and so it became "Sweet Child O' Mine".13

I have a way of sitting down with the guitar and coming up with these hard-to-play riffs; they're unorthodox fingerings of simple melodies. It's my way of getting into playing or finding something interesting to do as opposed to just practise scales. (...) That is what I was doing one night as Izzy sat down on the floor to join me. "Hey, what is that? he asked. "I don't know," I said. "Just fucking around." "Keep doing it." He came up with some chords and since Duff was there, he came up with a bass line, as Steven planned out his drum beat. Within an hour my little guitar exercise had become something else. Axl didn't leave his room that night, but he was just as much a part of the creative process as the rest of us: he sat up there and listened to everything we were doing and was inspired to write lyrics that were complete by the next afternoon.

"Shut the fuck up."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #255 on: November 09, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »

Maybe you haven't paid attention to this guy's real talents.
I posted something about 1985 not coming back as a response to a quote from a movie that came out that year. This guy asks me why I hate the old band....
Seriously.  rofl

It's only fair I can assume similar things about him right? After all, he refuses to answer simple questions.
Which sounds like a familiar tactic by some who are here for the discussions... But only as long as they get to "win" and you don't ask them questions!

Ask them questions and they'll insult you, ridicule you and accuse you of stalking. Smiley

/jarmo

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »

If we're going by contribution alone to say who was the "main" influence on the band, well....

Izzy, in terms of GN'R's discography as a whole, has more songs credited solely to himself, or written in collaboration, than any other member.

The following songs would not exist in the GN'R catalog without Izzy alone (songs on which he receives full musical/lyrical credit):

Mr. Brownstone
Think About You
Dust N' Bones
Patience
You Ain't the First
Double Talkin' Jive
Pretty Tied Up

GN'R songs to 1993 which Axl receives sole musical/lyrical credit:

November Rain
Estranged
Breakdown
Dead Horse
My World

In terms of bringing the most songs fully to the table, Izzy would be thus the 'main influence', especially when we also count the songs co-written by him.

But we know he wasn't the main influence; there was no "main influence". It was a BAND effort. Not an Axl effort, or a Slash effort, or an Izzy or Duff effort...But a band effort.

I totally agree   And this is just with the music

When it came to popular culture in the early 90s some members of gnr were loved.  While others were not.  I would suggest if everyone in the band was hated they wouldn't of been as big as they were
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »

Slash even admits it was an exercise even if you don't

Lead guitarist Slash has been quoted as having an initial disdain for the song due to its roots as simply a "string skipping" exercise and a joke at the time.

Slash said it started as an exercise , when Izzy and the others joined it became something else before Axl came in and called it a song.

Axl even admits it was a song even if you don't.  Wink

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »

Maybe you haven't paid attention to this guy's real talents.
I posted something about 1985 not coming back as a response to a quote from a movie that came out that year. This guy asks me why I hate the old band....
Seriously.  rofl

It's only fair I can assume similar things about him right? After all, he refuses to answer simple questions.
Which sounds like a familiar tactic by some who are here for the discussions... But only as long as they get to "win" and you don't ask them questions!

Ask them questions and they'll insult you, ridicule you and accuse you of stalking. Smiley

/jarmo

I don't know every poster's history.
But from what I've seen, that kind of behavior stems from both side of the fence. From axl lovers to axl critics.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »

Too many items to mention?  Really? 

Well you don't have a problem posting here.  So that can't be it

Guns back catalog of songs isn't one that crammed full of material.  Prior to 1995 they released a few studio albums and roughly under 50 songs.  Give or take.  All have been great and I love almost all of them.  But there really isn't a lot of material. And nothing that should stop any one from talking about it

So just to clear this up for myself

You feel guns n roses music evolved from one album to the next.  Because Axl Rose has been a member since day one and even though no original member is still present in the band it doesn't matter because Axl rose is still there.  And according to the dictionary definition it is evolution   Not just a band sounding different because it has new members and there members boss finally has full day and control on in the band

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: