Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:47:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Being axl said this year why not give a release date at the vmas?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being axl said this year why not give a release date at the vmas?  (Read 26651 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »

the thing is, CD has costed the record company ..what ??...Millions ? ( or less )

the album won?t make the money?s worth ( The money the record company been given Axl )

The album will make it's money back easily.? Even if the 13/14 million dollar production cost was accurate (which seems incredibly unlikely) they'd only need to sell about 750,000 copies worldwide to recoup it (They must have made that money back three or four times over with the greatest hits cd alone, so in reality GNR are already out of the doghouse).

Some people tend to forget that record companies not only want to get their money back, but want to multiple it. With 13 millions it's highly unlikely that it'll be a huge commercial success (in the record company's point of view). They won't lose a cent on GN'R, but when you can make 20 millions outta 1 million, you are not too happy with like 30 millions out of 13 millions.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »

They all had their money back with the Greatest Hits record.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 03:53:51 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »

They all had their money back with the Greatest Hits record.

They could have released that without spending 13 millions for Axl's new album. They don't feel to be rewarded.

Rollin' on the streets
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2006, 04:59:53 PM »

And here we are already in September with no word.? If they plan to get it out before the tour, they're gonna be cutting it extremely close.

that`s not the plan actually....

Right, which was exactly my point in an earlier post.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »

Just to clear the air when I say 400k I meant the USA numbers only.. I have never spoken about an album's release world wide
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2006, 05:28:48 PM »

I'd take the over on 400k in the first week, but not by much.. Probably will be about that. & I think overall the album will sell between Contraband & American Idiot.

As for GH, how many albums has that sold?? I don't think that alone recouped 13 million? You don't just sell 1 million albums for $13 bucks and you made your money back. You have to factor in Royalties to the former members, Production costs (1 million CD's, covers, & cases) Artwork, also take out the retail units share (Best Buy, Circuit City) shipping, as well as marketing (commercials, magazine ads) and the EMPLOYEES SALARIES at the record company.. Also factor in interest on $13 million over about 5 years.

They probably need to gross well over $30 million to break even on $13 mil.

Also, a big expense for record companies is making up for artists who failed or didn't sell. For every act who is a success, there are 10 who fail.. So as a company they need to factor in net losses to be considered making gains.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:32:57 PM by pasnow » Logged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2006, 03:29:43 AM »

st anger sold over 500k it's opening week, as did Tool's last album I believe..
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2006, 08:41:14 AM »

Why does anyone give a shit if the record sells well or not?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2006, 08:45:39 AM »

yeah but TooL is amazing and metallica hyped and promoted the shit outta st anger for months, and metallica was still dominating the rock industry when it came out...

Bono
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »

I think it gives him some room for error. If he gave an exact date people would be expecting it. by saying "This year" it's still pretty vague and it leaves the door open for a release date being pushed back into 2007. This year could mean December 26th. If the album came out on January 1st nobody would care. I think there's no date set because there's still really no idea when it's coming out. Albums get pushed back all the time so by not giving a specific date it buys him time untill the very end of the year to then push the album back due to "industry reasons".  Too me this is getting sad. We're almost halfway through September and there's no single or even a hint at a release date or radio date for a single. The tour goes October 24th so there had better be some damn news by then if not it's all a joke. I know everyone hates me refrenceing U2 BUT when Vertigo was released to radio on September 22,  2004 U2 fans new about that date a month in advance and the single had been leaked for that long.  So we knew about a radio single a month before it hit radio and a mont and a half before it was released. The single hit radio  2 months before the album. Plus record stores knew about the album release date well in advance. It's not a good sign that NOBODY knows a damn thing about a possible release date for CD let alone a possible release date for the first single or when the first single might even hit radio. In my opinion the way thngs are going  the earliest this album could come out is December 12th. I'm not expert though so that's just me. Undecided
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2006, 06:51:21 PM »

Here's something to think about.

Why is there a break in the tour?

The already announced dates end on October 5th, then according to Axl, the tour starts at the end of October.

Why is there a three week break?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EFISH
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2006, 06:57:23 PM »

It's nothing less than obvious what is going down durring that time.
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2006, 06:58:52 PM »

If there is no set date within the label, then he can't give a specific date.
Bono
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »

The already announced dates end on October 5th, then according to Axl, the tour starts at the end of October.

/jarmo

Well that's just it right. That's the opening for something to happen. All I'm saying is it had better happen durring that time. If a single is to hit radio durirng that time we'll be hearing about it within days from now unless their planning some surprise secret promotion which would be idiotic. FINGERS CROSSED Smiley
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2006, 04:04:30 AM »

/jarmo

That's what I was thinking about. I guess they'll record a video and finalize everything to let it go.

(IMO the first video shouldn't be an epic, just parts of various live performances to show that this band has energy - like Dead Horse)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:21:12 AM by Mikkamakka » Logged

Rollin' on the streets
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2006, 05:56:53 AM »

well if you're all saying this band will save rock or everyone is dying for axl to come back then album sales will be a big part of showing us that.. Also wouldn't you want high album sales to boost his confidence,,
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2006, 06:24:26 AM »

well if you're all saying this band will save rock or everyone is dying for axl to come back then album sales will be a big part of showing us that.. Also wouldn't you want high album sales to boost his confidence,,

all of that is great, and we are all rooting for axl and guns to have great success once again.   but I think just getting the music is going to be great in itself as we've waited for so long.   If it does great commerically, thats awesome.  but if it doesn't.. it doesn't.   I dont expect GNR to 'save rock'.  I just want some good music.  beer
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2006, 02:32:18 PM »

No. I don't care about any of that. I sure as hell don't care what anyone else thinks of the album or who buys it. I pretty much only care if I like it or not.

Also, if there's one thing Axl Rose isn't lacking; I think it's confidence.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2006, 05:58:03 AM »

To prove that you don't need months of promotion, The Who will release their first new album in 24 years on October 31st.

What's that, six or seven weeks away?

And they announced it with a simple statement on their website, no big drama.

In football, they say form is temporary and class is permanent. Axl doesn't need to make a big production of the release date. It will get picked up by the press and they'll do practically all the work for him.

Axl still has plenty of time to play with if the record is coming out this year. peace

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2006, 12:27:39 PM »

Also, if there's one thing Axl Rose isn't lacking; I think it's confidence

really ,most confident men do what he'd done... hihi
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: