Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?  (Read 181045 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

I kind of compare this to Batman

When I went and saw the remake of Batman, I didn't like it because I couldn't separate it from the Tim Burton Batman that came out in 89.

So I say if people could just listen to CD without bias and thinking about Appetite and UYI they would love it a lot more.

I think they hear it and think "This doesn't sound like those" and they don't give it a chance.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »

Just made a sale of Chinese Democracy to a friend of mine.

She was unaware it was even out.

I fucking envy her getting to hear this in its entirety for the first time with no idea of what to expect or expectation

Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »

I think this subject should be changed.....I think that from the people who have heard a song or 2 of CD havent minded the song at all and most have got the cd.....Its just that there has been No Music Video to help this thing reach the masses      I think if they made a simple video for this i love it would sell alot more in a hurry. peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »

CD came out 7 months ago which, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a very time. To the hardcore fans who've waited for it to be released and have been listening to it since it came out and have hoped for a tour/video/whatever, it may seem like a long time but it's not really. When we see how CD is viewed in a few years' time, things may have changed. Maybe.

Opinions on music when it's first released don't stay the same. People change their minds, new people discover it, etc. Critical re-evaluation and all that.

Hell, maybe a second album with better promotion may spark new interest in GNR and CD, who knows? Just because there hasn't been an immediately overwhelmingly positive response to the album, doesn't mean that'll always be the case.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

I am gonna be optimistic for a change

There have been recent CD's to do this;

Kid Rock: his album was fucking DEAD and he released that single "All Summer Long" and his album went from barely gold to damn near double platinum

Pink also did that. She released two shitty singles and came back strong with U and Ur Hand and Who Knew and her album shot back from the dead.

Problem is, Do GNR have that crossover Catch Fire single?

This I Love MUST be released with a video

that can save this album.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »

^TIL is my least favourite song on CD, but I do think it would do well and possibly boost sales of the album if it got decent airplay. If...

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »

I can accept failure, it's the lack of an effort that sours this.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »

I am gonna be optimistic for a change

There have been recent CD's to do this;

Kid Rock: his album was fucking DEAD and he released that single "All Summer Long" and his album went from barely gold to damn near double platinum

Pink also did that. She released two shitty singles and came back strong with U and Ur Hand and Who Knew and her album shot back from the dead.

Problem is, Do GNR have that crossover Catch Fire single?

Not to go off topic but I was thinking the other day that Kid Rock can basically live off of "All Summer Long" for the next ten years.  That song will inevitably get heavy airplay EVERY summer for the next several years.

I don't know if there's a song on CD that could possibly resonate with the public at that level but there are definitely some possibilities that could win some people over.  But as people have said, you're gonna need some exposure, videos, band appearances, interviews, etc., etc.  As great as I think the music is, it's hard for ANY music to stand on its own without a significant push.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

"This I Love", along with "Prostitute", are my two favorite tracks on the album. I've always been skeptical about its commercial viability though b/c of the risk of some uninformed listeners (i.e. those that have long ago lost track of the whole Axl-Stephanie saga) finding it too... to quote Public Enemy #1, John Pareles, "maudlin" (i.e. overly sentimental to the point of being silly).

That said- the great thing about "TIL" IMHO is that it directly refutes the idea that Axl Rose can't write an effective traditional Guns N' Roses style ballad w/o the old band. "TIL" would have slotted in easily on the Illusions- and probably would have been HUGE (along with "Don't Cry", "November Rain", "Estranged", etc.) back in the day. It's the one track on Chinese Democracy IMHO that really screams "classic Guns" and therefore the type of song that may have the casual rock listener thinking... "THERE! Finally- something that sounds like the Guns I knew and loved!". Worth a shot...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:57:22 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2009, 07:35:36 PM »

My mom would love "This I Love"and she is 55

I could see teenage Twilight Girls loving this song

Dudes would love this song

It is THE crossover song

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »

TIL is brilliant.

re release Better and eventually TIL when the train is ready to roll. and lets see what happens

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2009, 12:15:35 AM »

I fucking envy her getting to hear this in its entirety for the first time with no idea of what to expect or expectation

i envy her too. very nice.

Any complaints about the lack of original members should be and are completely irrelevant in 2009.

exactly.   Guys on the latest album I can sort of understand, but guys who haven't been in the band in over a decade?!?

Tommy said it best  ok
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2009, 09:15:48 AM »

i envy her too. very nice.

Any complaints about the lack of original members should be and are completely irrelevant in 2009.

exactly.   Guys on the latest album I can sort of understand, but guys who haven't been in the band in over a decade?!?

Tommy said it best  ok

Yeah, but in a way thats where i feel bad for the new band. When most people think of GNR they think of the old band because they were promoted properly( magazines, videos, posters, tons of band pics). There has never been an official band pic of any of the post 1993 lineups. So besides any of the die hards nobody really knows who's in the band and still associate GNR with the old gunners.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23:54 AM »

I'm sorry but I just don't think TIL is the big crossover hit. Most people I know that heard it think it's silly and belongs on a Meatloaf album.

I think Better could have been the big one if promoted properly.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »

I'm sorry but I just don't think TIL is the big crossover hit. Most people I know that heard it think it's silly and belongs on a Meatloaf album.

I gotta agree. TIL would not appeal to the rock crowd. If anything I can see TWAT, Prostitute or Madagascar. But in all actuality I dont think the album really has a standout hit in it.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »

I agree, TIL tempo is too slow and stuff for radio IMO.  SOD would be good.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »

I kind of compare this to Batman

When I went and saw the remake of Batman, I didn't like it because I couldn't separate it from the Tim Burton Batman that came out in 89.

So I say if people could just listen to CD without bias and thinking about Appetite and UYI they would love it a lot more.

I think they hear it and think "This doesn't sound like those" and they don't give it a chance.

Wait what? You didn't like Batman Begins because you couldn't separate it from the Tim Burton Batman movie that came out in '89. Am I reading this right? I like you D but, this is the biggest "What the Fuck?" post of the year.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »

Loved the Dark Knight, Hated Batman Begins.

was too attached to the Burton Batman to give the new one a chance and that could be a good analogy of the GNR thing. That and I think Christian Bale sucks.

People don't hear "Appetite" so they don't give it the attention it deserves.

People judge shit off crazy things.

If they heard the single and hated it, their minds are automatically gonna assume the entire CD sucks cause most put their strongest song out first.

Lostrose
Rocker

This here is my hetero-lifemate, Silent Bob.

« Reply #258 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »

Subjectively, no one can consider it "alright to pretty good". No way. The songs are on a level that no other bands out there today puts out, and the production is flawless and so is the band.

How is the production flawless?  have you not heard the skip on Scraped? 

Dont get me wrong, i love the albumn.  But the production isnt flawless.

I guess, I guess, I guess I never fuckin' learn...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #259 on: June 16, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »

Subjectively, no one can consider it "alright to pretty good". No way. The songs are on a level that no other bands out there today puts out, and the production is flawless and so is the band.

How is the production flawless?  have you not heard the skip on Scraped? 

Dont get me wrong, i love the albumn.  But the production isnt flawless.

It's supposed to be there.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: