Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:36:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  ALBUM FROM CURRENT LINE UP
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ALBUM FROM CURRENT LINE UP  (Read 17352 times)
Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »

What is funny is how people think Axl would just scrap years of really hard work (not only him, but also past members).

It's not that I want them to "scrap" anything, but I would have no problem with DJ re-recording Buckethead's parts or adding his owns feel to it (and this is coming from a Bucket fan). It wouldn't erase Bucket's ownership, as he was the one who wrote it. It would just allow the guys who are actual band members their opportunity to shine.

In the end, I'll be happy with whatever Axl releases. I just think it's wrong for a fan to imply that certain members are good enough to be part of a touring band, but in the studio, they want someone else to play the parts. If Axl were to come out and say, "the current band on tour is just that - a touring band" - I'd be fine with your scenario. But he's never said that. So I don't think it's very respectful for a fan to hope this is the case.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 06:07:50 PM »

"My scenario" is a mix of both newly written material and old stuff. Having said that, I guess the old songs would have the same treatment as in Chinese Democracy, with Frank, Bumblefoot and DJ adding their own takes and replacing solos when needed.

What would be disrespectful is to ask to guitarists only rerecord parts. Thats different from the drums and the whole Freese/Brain scenario. The melody in a solo is something gained in the performance, and to ask someone to just play it and not create something new would be just plain silly.

Again: why would DJ replace Buckethead tracks if he replaced Robin? What about Bumble?

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

He is the lead, but where did you see he's the "main" one?

What is funny is how people think Axl would just scrap years of really hard work (not only him, but also past members). Of course I would love to see an album with songs only by this band, but I also would love to know more of Bucket and Robin's work. Im sure Chinese Democracy already proved how those musicians still had a really important whole there and Im glad they did.

In my mind, Robin replaced Slash, DJ Ashba replaced Robin, so...it's kind of a filiation. I'd love to hear material with Robin & Bucket (and Brain) too.

and I'm confident about Axl's taste to choose the best option for every song, keeping the original parts for some of the older songs, re-recording
with Ron & DJ etc for the others, and some totally new songs too.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »

"My scenario" is a mix of both newly written material and old stuff. Having said that, I guess the old songs would have the same treatment as in Chinese Democracy, with Frank, Bumblefoot and DJ adding their own takes and replacing solos when needed.

What would be disrespectful is to ask to guitarists only rerecord parts. Thats different from the drums and the whole Freese/Brain scenario. The melody in a solo is something gained in the performance, and to ask someone to just play it and not create something new would be just plain silly.

Again: why would DJ replace Buckethead tracks if he replaced Robin? What about Bumble?

I just used replacing Bucket's parts as an example. It's equally fine by me if he were to re-recorded or completely re-do Robin's (and I'm a big Robin fan too, btw).

We've had 11 consecutive months of proof that we have one kick-ass rock band comprised of extremely talented musicians enjoying themselves on tour. I just don't understand the rationale why it is necessary to have ex-members who left the band 3, 4, and 7 years prior play on future album(s). When I'm watching BBF play the TWAT outro or DJ playing the This I Love solo, I'm not thinking to myself "man, I really wish Bucket and Robin were still in the band". Are you?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »

That has nothing to do with this "I wish they were still in the band". Its about the already recorded tracks (including several current members) and if you cant understand that, there's nothing more I can say about it. Also doesnt matter what I want, but rather what I think its most likely to happen based on what Chinese Democracy is.

Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »

That has nothing to do with this "I wish they were still in the band". Its about the already recorded tracks (including several current members) and if you cant understand that, there's nothing more I can say about it. Also doesnt matter what I want, but rather what I think its most likely to happen based on what Chinese Democracy is.

Again, I'm not suggesting that Axl scrap what is already recorded. I'm suggesting why not utilize the band that exists to release an album. I'm not suggesting that Tommy, Dizzy, Chris, etc. re-record their parts. I'm suggesting that the guitar solos be played by members who are actually in the band. DJ doesn't have to play Robin's solos verbatim. He can play something similar with his own feel or something totally different. This was done with Chinese Democracy, so I'm not sure why you find the concept so impossible.

I understand really liking a particular past member, but I don't think that should overshadow the fact  that we have a great band that exists today and who is capable of releasing something equally as solid.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »

Again, I'm not suggesting that Axl scrap what is already recorded. I'm suggesting why not utilize the band that exists to release an album. I'm not suggesting that Tommy, Dizzy, Chris, etc. re-record their parts. I'm suggesting that the guitar solos be played by members who are actually in the band. DJ doesn't have to play Robin's solos verbatim. He can play something similar with his own feel or something totally different. This was done with Chinese Democracy, so I'm not sure why you find the concept so impossible.

I understand really liking a particular past member, but I don't think that should overshadow the fact  that we have a great band that exists today and who is capable of releasing something equally as solid.

It's not as simple as that though.

You forget about how some players have a certain feel and can play something' better than another member. For instance, DJ plays the TIL solo abit differently to Robin which is fine, but Robins is the one that's on the album.

Another example is, even though Bumble can play the TWAT solo note for note, Axl chose to keep Buckets version. Sometimes there is no need to re-record something just for the sake of having another member contribute something.
Also bear in mind, alot of people critisized Axl for doing what you are suggesting, re-recording stuff with current members just for the sake of it.

But Axl never did that, proved by Chinese Democracy, which had more than a few members on it who wasn't in the band upon release.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »

Thats what I was trying to say. Thanks OIAM. Smiley

Also, just to make it clear: Chinese Democracy didnt have anything rerecorded for the sake of it. Everything BBF played there were from his own creative skills.

Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »

It's not as simple as that though.

You forget about how some players have a certain feel and can play something' better than another member. For instance, DJ plays the TIL solo abit differently to Robin which is fine, but Robins is the one that's on the album.

That's because DJ wasn't in the band when TIL was recorded.

Another example is, even though Bumble can play the TWAT solo note for note, Axl chose to keep Buckets version. Sometimes there is no need to re-record something just for the sake of having another member contribute something.
Also bear in mind, alot of people critisized Axl for doing what you are suggesting, re-recording stuff with current members just for the sake of it.

But Axl never did that, proved by Chinese Democracy, which had more than a few members on it who wasn't in the band upon release.

Yes. I realize that Axl kept some of Bucket's work, however he did decide to delay the album again just so BBF and Frank (2 members with less than a year tenure) could go back into the studio to add their presence to the album. Also, keep in mind, the band was negotiating the release of Chinese Democracy when Robin bailed, and no replacement was identified prior to the release. Now, it's been nearly 3 years that Robin has been gone, nearly 7 for Bucket, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if these guys aren't featured to the extent that some of you are hoping.

Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »

It's not about someone playing better or worse. That's subjective. The tone, the bends, the vibrato... everything sounds different because each one has his own melody in his mind, his own playing style.

Uh, but other than Brain, he did not want others to re-record parts. And the Brain thing is valid because Brain's style fits the new GnR sound, just like Bucket's style did back in the early 2000's. He never asked Bumblefoot to re-record anything, and even Bumble himself said that he did not want to touch some solos because it'd feel like a different song.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Satapher
Wings Of Redemption
VIP

GODS N' ROSES

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2010, 10:31:31 PM »

I would be more than pleased to hear more stuff from 4tus and Pitman in the next record!!

1992.11.29 Bogota, COL
2001.12.31 Las Vegas, USA
2002.12.05 New York City, USA
2010.03.30 Bogota, COL
2016.07.27 Atlanta, USA
2016.11.23 Medellin, COL
2022.06.15 Stavanger, NOR
2023.06.21 Oslo,
Z?phyr
VIP

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2010, 06:40:14 PM »

I would be more than pleased to hear more stuff from 4tus and Pitman in the next record!!

Silkworms please ! ;-)

"It Ain't Rocket Science"
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »

Silkworms please ! ;-)

I'm dying to hear material like silkworms, but I'm not sure Axl wants to go into that direction anymore. As I mentioned in another thread, I feel Axl has changed his musical preference since 2002. These days, I think he wants to go into a more Classic Rock route, rather than Industrial and experimental which we saw in 01-02.

I hope this don't lead to Axl scrapping some of those ideas, I would love to hear them in some form. I'm talking about the Silkworms, Oh My God and Riad type songs.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »

I personally would want to hear more songs like TWAT, but the constituents of that song are gone, not sure if BBF and DJ can produce what Robin and Bucket did on that song.

Question a little of topic: Axl, Tobais and Reed wrote TWAT, but did they write the solos that Robin and Bucket played, or do they make their own solos ?

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »

I personally would want to hear more songs like TWAT, but the constituents of that song are gone, not sure if BBF and DJ can produce what Robin and Bucket did on that song.

Question a little of topic: Axl, Tobais and Reed wrote TWAT, but did they write the solos that Robin and Bucket played, or do they make their own solos ?

I'm pretty sure they wrote the solos' by themselves, it's not as if they easy to do. All those credited may have came up with the chord progression of the song, lyrics, and even riffs here or there. But I think it's safe to say that the solos' were written by Robin and Bucket.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »

Silkworms please ! ;-)

I'm dying to hear material like silkworms, but I'm not sure Axl wants to go into that direction anymore. As I mentioned in another thread, I feel Axl has changed his musical preference since 2002. These days, I think he wants to go into a more Classic Rock route, rather than Industrial and experimental which we saw in 01-02.

I hope this don't lead to Axl scrapping some of those ideas, I would love to hear them in some form. I'm talking about the Silkworms, Oh My God and Riad type songs.

I'm glad that Axl wants to go back to that classic rock sound if that's his route. I said it before and I'll say it again. If I want to listen to industrial music, I'll go with NIN who specialize in that.  For that hard rock bluesy, classic sound which made for  my favorite all-time band, I'll go with GNR. I think Shackler's Revenge is an example of a good GNR song that has electronic influences, but would have been a better  NIN song. I think it's good to experiment, but stick with your strengths. For Axl, it's that classic hard rock sound. His voice fits that genre much better (no pun intended).
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »

The problem is when people try to put talented musicians in boxes.

"You belong in the hard rock box, don't try to make anything else"-

It's bullshit.

GN'R has never been about limiting themselves by genres or been afraid of trying different things.

You got plenty of other bands/artists who make the same record over and over again.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:17 AM »

Silkworms please ! ;-)

I'm glad that Axl wants to go back to that classic rock sound if that's his route. I said it before and I'll say it again. If I want to listen to industrial music, I'll go with NIN who specialize in that.  For that hard rock bluesy, classic sound which made for  my favorite all-time band, I'll go with GNR. I think Shackler's Revenge is an example of a good GNR song that has electronic influences, but would have been a better  NIN song. I think it's good to experiment, but stick with your strengths. For Axl, it's that classic hard rock sound. His voice fits that genre much better (no pun intended).

"Shackler's Revenge" has very little, if any, electronic influence.  Very little keyboard work in that song.  It's not in any way, shape or form an industrial song to me.  It's a Buckethead song.  Axl himself has said he doesn't understand why it's called an industrial song.

And, I wouldn't assume what direction Axl wants to go in.  We haven't heard any of the other songs from the CD sessions and we have no clue what kind of songs the current lineup would write.

Ali
Z?phyr
VIP

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »

. His voice fits that genre much better (no pun intended).

It's not about genre it about the song(s)... he has the talent to make any well written song his own... take the covers as an example !
Ill take any GN'R album as is, because I know it will be damn good... these guy's don't go for less...

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:03:17 AM by Z?phyr » Logged

"It Ain't Rocket Science"
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

It's not about someone playing better or worse. That's subjective. The tone, the bends, the vibrato... everything sounds different because each one has his own melody in his mind, his own playing style.

Uh, but other than Brain, he did not want others to re-record parts. And the Brain thing is valid because Brain's style fits the new GnR sound, just like Bucket's style did back in the early 2000's. He never asked Bumblefoot to re-record anything, and even Bumble himself said that he did not want to touch some solos because it'd feel like a different song.

So what was the 'Uh' for?, you just basically agreed with what I said.  Huh

I stated that even though Ron can play the TWAT solo, Axl never asked him to re-record it because the solo is fine with Bucket. And I also stated how there is no point in re-recording a guitar part just to have a certain someone, play it for the sake of them being on the record.

This was in response to Duke Nukem who wants Axl to ask the current members to re-record all of the past members contributions, because they are in the band at this particular moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: