Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Life sucks, then you die...fact or fiction; and is there a God?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life sucks, then you die...fact or fiction; and is there a God?  (Read 23283 times)
RichardNixon
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »

But if there is no God, no point, than what's so great about being unique? Say I had never been born, what differerence would that make? The world would still spin, there would still be 365 days a year, so who gives a God Damn?

But you were born. There's a reason and purpose for you. We're all connected in life somehow or another.

Says who. There is no proof, or even a shred of evidence to support that.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2005, 03:01:28 AM »

But if there is no God, no point, than what's so great about being unique? Say I had never been born, what differerence would that make? The world would still spin, there would still be 365 days a year, so who gives a God Damn?
Why dont we all just kill ourselves since the Sun is going to die in 5 billion years. Since nothing matters, lets just end it now before the Sun ends it for us! confused

Because then I wouldn't be able to jack-off and watch Family Guy anymore.

just eat a bullet n' shut up, your makin' me depressed!!  confused   n' your bein' stupid,  mate!!  Angry

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
RichardNixon
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2005, 03:05:45 AM »

Maybe you missed one of my posts. I?m ambivalent about the meaning of life. I can see both sides of the coin?so my negative posts are to play devils advocate to people that offer a positive perspective. When someone posted that they wanted to die young, I argued that if you were 25 and found out you had cancer, 80 would look pretty good. So whatever POV someone has, I want to offer a counterpoint.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2005, 03:06:20 AM »

Dont forget to smile Cheesy again.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2005, 04:18:23 AM »

Good questions, although I'm afraid most people are missing your point(s).

Keep them coming.........
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2005, 04:24:03 AM »

I don't think I'm missing his point. He's saying life is pointless and nothing matters. Or I'm reading it wrong?

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2005, 05:00:34 AM »

I'm not a very religious man.

I do believe that something godlike put all of this in motion at some point. I don't believe most of what the bible says. There are good messages in that, and it's a really nice book, but some of the stuff out there is just dumb. But that's just me. I don't know if he had a big plan for everything to go like this, but I do think that for us to think that all of this is _just_ for us - humans - is pretty fucking selfish. That god portrayed man as his selfimage.. Come on...

The thing with "why won't god stop all the suffering"... Well. Why would he? I don't believe that he interferes with the universe. Not anymore at least. And all the acts of god that we see, or that the world has seen (there's lots in the bible) have now, or will be in the future (most propably) explained with science. I don't know how some people still believe in creationalism.

All, except for 1. The fact remains that the laws of physics say that amount of energy is a constant within a system. Now this would mean that either a) god put all the energy in this system that is the origin of the big bang or b) this universe is a part of a bigger system, which this universe is just a fraction of. If we look at b) then there's another problem. We don't know how that system works. If any of the laws of physics work there that we have here. What if that system has an endless source of energy... or is a part of another, even a bigger system... But even so. It does bring up a very good question.. or a though. Where did it _all_ start? In the beginning... there had to be something. And I, with my small and not that bright brain, am quite happy to just let myself think that it is some sort of godlike creature. And it is pretty interesting to play with the idea that if there was a 'plan', then it would sort of make sense why all the religions in the beginning have very similar ideas about the origin of all this.. In many stories about the beginning of the world, there's an egg of somekind, out of which everything came from. And this is not very far from the concept of a big bang that we have at the moment. I think it's pretty interesting. How did the different religions, some of which were born (if my memory serves me correct) apart from each other, have so similar thoughts about the beginning. Was there something bigger guiding them?

About afterlife. Well. I do think that it's a really interesting idea. You die, you get to go to heaven or hell, depending if you've been naughty or nice. And there you'll spend all eternity. I like to play with the idea that there is an afterlife. I'm not sure that there is one.. No one is. Well, you can be sure, but you can't know for sure. But I also can't help but to think that all religions have been started just to control people... And at the beginning it must have been to keep people organized and more productive. At some point, as we've seen, it has turned sour. But I do like the idea of an afterlife. Although it is not the ultimate force that is driving me to make the decisions I make.

But is there a God and an Afterlife...? Well... why not?

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2005, 08:44:03 AM »

if there were no negative experiences on earth, we would all take the good stuff for granted. and there would be no reason to want to be in heaven.

also, the belief in god effects many people in this world. that belief is extremely powerful. it's essentially a god in and of itself.

i'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, cause i'm not religious, and i don't believe in an afterlife. but i wish i did. i have alot of respect for people who believe cause i think it's difficult. and whether there is a god or not, many people i know get alot out of their faith, and their life is better for it.

being an atheist is the easy way out....

"i can't see it, there's no proof, so i don't believe. i'm a good person and if there is a god, he will forgive me. afterall, he created the mind i use."

i've said this many times, but i'm not proud of it. and i do admit that i could easily be wrong.

but i love life. even though at times it feels like hell, there's so much good stuff going on all the time. you just have to make a conscious effort to notice it and appreciate it.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2005, 10:13:17 AM »

There is definitely a God. Just look around you. Look up in the sky, at all the stars. Look around at all the life this planet has, and the nothingness of the rest of the solar system's planets. If the Earth was just a little closer or a little further from the sun, life would never have existed. Do you really think that happened by chance? confused

so you think just because you aren`t able to explain what`s goin on around you there has to be a god? to your question: yes i think it happened by chance. well,  there might be a god, but it depends on the definition. i don`t think there`s a god like how the christians or any other religions see him. i think god is just all that?s existing....   

people couldn`t explain the things that were going on and so they hold god responsible for it. it`s the same today. it?s just the difference that we aren`t asking for the reasons of thunderstorms anymore, but for our origin and our world?s/universum`s origin.

imo religions are just a way to fight against the fear of being senseless and that we are going to die sometime and there`s no afterlife. i think jesus was just a crazy guy and perhaps mentally ill (no offense people). 2000 years ago there were lots of so called prophets around who just wanted to profite of the credulity of the people. these people aren?t very succesful today by the way....(except some leaders of sects....)  what i want so say is that religions aren`t the right way to get to know god, if he?s actually existing...  but religions are very useful, because most people need something to belive in...and would go nuts otherwise...

but if you aren`t actually a religious kind of guy you have to face the negative sites like wars and stuff, too. which are just senseless in that case.

there`s a lot going on we can`t understand and won?t ever understand, but that doesn`t mean there`s a god existing.... unless you call the things you can?t understand god... and there?s all this shit based on...

another question:   why did god create the universe and the humans??   did he want to play god?   and if you?re christian: why does god want you to love him?? did he create you to love him, because he was lonely??

our problem is that we can`t imagine what?s going on nor do we know what?s going on... and we are eager to get to know it ok

peace  i didn?t have any weed for a while.....

PS:  did you ever think about the possibility that there might be something outside of our perception?

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2005, 12:07:24 PM »

Why people ask god something like why god let this happen, or why God didn't do anthing about this, the thing is that we expect something for someone who we dont even respect and expect HIM/SHE to do something? thats kinda selfish!! wait it is selfish, if people dont want to anything bad happen start to make concsious of how we can change the world for the best, and stop asking or making question of why this or why that.
Havent found God? - dont search for him/her, dont ask for him/her, just live your life at best
belive and trus in god? - do what is best for you and others, no rewards whatsoever.

No man can be my equal
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2005, 12:15:20 PM »

There is definitely a God. Just look around you. Look up in the sky, at all the stars. Look around at all the life this planet has, and the nothingness of the rest of the solar system's planets. If the Earth was just a little closer or a little further from the sun, life would never have existed. Do you really think that happened by chance? confused

Yes. There are an virtually an infinite number of stars in an almost infinite number of galaxies - simple numbers tell u no matter how far fetched the odds of something if u have that many stars ur going to get lucky - there will be billions of other planets the right ditance from the sun too.

Even if the chance of life occuring was 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 - would still mean there were billions of other inhabited planets - free your mind, the universe is vast

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2005, 12:55:31 PM »

I don't think I'm missing his point. He's saying life is pointless and nothing matters. Or I'm reading it wrong?

Maybe you missed one of my posts. I?m ambivalent about the meaning of life. I can see both sides of the coin?so my negative posts are to play devils advocate to people that offer a positive perspective. When someone posted that they wanted to die young, I argued that if you were 25 and found out you had cancer, 80 would look pretty good. So whatever POV someone has, I want to offer a counterpoint.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2005, 05:38:30 PM »

Thanks, I'll look into it.

It's a great book.

Edit: and after reading those passages above I now remember how much I liked it. Very thought provoking.

I think its beyond thought provoking dude, seemingly any question I had about God or anything at all was answered within those books. It was almost like as you were subconciously asking youself these questions, the answers would systematically appear on the pages.

I used to be a hardcore atheist, but after taking political sciences, and philosophy I realized I needed to revisit my beliefs and research "God" much further before I wrote him off as a myth. I thank my ex-girlfriend for buying me those books..its the gift that keeps on giving.

But you were born. There's a reason and purpose for you. We're all connected in life somehow or another.

If you don't believe in God, then that's your way, but you should at least believe in yourself and the people you share your life with.

I absolutely agree with what Journey said. You cant be so damn pessimistic about how you got here or why RichardNixon, you just have to establish within yourself you have been put on the Earth among the rest of us for a purpose, a purpose which lingers within yourself, its just a matter of having the determination to fullfill your life to the best of your abilities. Sure in a billion years, nobody will probably remember a damn thing about us, or 2005 but how does that effect you in the least? Do you intend on living another billion years, because if so, send me a postcard Cheesy

Your entirely right though, our actions and doings probably wont matter in the grander scheme of things but they do matter to both you and the loved ones around you. You only get one life and you better believe it has a timer on it that can expire and fuckin' second, so make the most of life while you still can. I think everyone has the same generalized purpose: to succeed in every field there is to succeed in this game of life, but most of all, help your fellow humans whether the burden be big or small. If you give back to the world in which you live in, God will give something back to you..maybe its just a hunch but I think you should trust me on that one.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2005, 05:40:27 PM »

Life is what you make of it. And depending how good of a person you are or how much of a scumbag you are will determine what happens to you after you die. Generally I think most of the main religions point to a single supreme being, God. People just have different worshipping styles, whether it be the christians, jews or muslims, I think we all pray to the same God. Depends how demented the fundamentalists have altered god's true intentions to suit themselves ( ex. Pat Robertson, Jerry Fallwell, Osama bin Laden, etc)

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2005, 05:42:55 PM »

Dont forget Bush Cheesy
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2005, 05:45:18 PM »

Dont forget Bush Cheesy

Not gonna go there......

...........................................look out for Jarmo, he'll ban your ass if you bring up politics.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »

"I want to live until I die. No more, no less." ?Grin

Guess the quote?

Oh, wait. Serious. Sorry.

Err...

Read Life of Pi?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2005, 06:09:46 PM »

Dont forget Bush Cheesy

Not gonna go there......

...........................................look out for Jarmo, he'll ban your ass if you bring up politics.

But you forgot it from your list man Cheesy
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2005, 06:53:02 PM »

Ill quote Eddie Vedder

I know I was born and I know I will die, The in Between is Mine.....

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2005, 08:51:31 PM »

I understand about seeing both sides of the coin. I've questioned the meaning of life and God a lot in my life. And the longer I live, the less I understand. I'm scared about what happens to us when we die, because I couldn't imagine living anywhere else but in this world. But I do feel like I have a great life, it's not perfect by any means, but I love it and I love the people in my life. And I feel like that's enough to know for right now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: