Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:01:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 467774 times)
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1620 on: September 15, 2008, 07:48:19 AM »

People dont have to like what you like.  I guarantee many people will not like this song, that doesnt make them not true fans...all it does is make them a person who doesnt like the song.  I mean do you know how many people thought Oh My God was going to make GNR popular again in the mainstream or that the VMA's was the start of everything, or the Harley commercial meant Better was going to be the new single.  I dont care that it sounds different from AFD, I care that its trying to be industrial/heavy and angry and it just really is lacking.  You can not like a GNR song, i know plenty of GNR fans who have that one song that they always skip, My Michelle is one of my favorite songs from AFD and I have several friends who cant stand it or how about the fact that the best song off the UYI's (in my opinion), Dont Damn Me was never a single and never performed live.  Music is subjective, i was disappointed when I heard the song, mostly bevause I know its not a good enough song to make GNR popular or provide Axl the acceptance he needs to release the album.

I dont know why people dont get what Axl's doing.  Every 3-4 years hes released a new song or gone or tour etc...He is testing the markets for when will be a good time to release the album.  He is waiting for one of his songs to be a hit so he has the confidence to release the whole album.  If he releases CD and its a flop he looks like the biggest clown, so he'll wait for when the time is right.  So every few years he will test the market and see if it will bite.  It will take a semi hit for the album to come out mark my words.  Axls not an idiot its a smart and calculated business move.  The music industry is all about timing and rather than just guessing and blowing it all, he will drop a little bit of CD into the market and see how it is treated.
Why would the song need to be mainstream? Does it have to appeal to everybody to be good? Of course it doesn't. Personally for me its just about music. There's no doubt Chinese Democracy is going to be a hit anyway. I don't think he's been testing the market. He's releasing music that he likes and alot of us like it too. Not everyone will agree on taste when it comes to music but if anyone enjoys a song then its good as it's being enjoyed. I love the song and I'm enjoying playing it over and over. I've played it in the office amongst non GnR fans and they weren't mad about it. They thought it had a catchy chorus but were shocked to hear this new sound. They found it a little scary. GnR weren't readily accepted by everyone when they released AFD. My mother didn't like me listening to it at all. Anyway, everyone's entitled to have an opinion

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1621 on: September 15, 2008, 09:04:27 AM »

AxlLynch

I agree with alot of what you said. I am not a fan of this new song at all whatsoever. The music is lacking, and the lyrics are not up to par with any previous GNR material. I was happy to hear that Axl did not write the song, hopefully that's true. I'm sure I'll get blasted for my opinion. I'm glad people are excited for some good new music, god knows it's been a long time. I am excited too, I still think the album will have some great tracks. This one just doesn't do anything for me. GNR as I and most probably remember them, were a legendary classic blues based rock n roll band. I don't think they need any "industrial" songs in their catalogue, leave that mess to Reznor.

As for the marketing thing, I wouldn't put it past Axl to be thinking about that as you suggest, but really, it's been 15 years, and he's the only original member. People download their music now. Astists give away new albums for free! It's gonna take a marketing genius to make this album a success. Even if this album truly is as good, or even better than original GNR, he put himself in too big a hole to dig out of. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for this album to do great. I have been waiting like everyone else pulling my hair out. I do hope their are some classic rock n roll jams on their. Really dig the Blues and Catcher. Better is a new sound, and I tip my cap, it's great. I do believe Axl still has it. I just hope he puts this thing out before both he and I go completely insane.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1622 on: September 15, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »

AxlLynch

I agree with alot of what you said. I am not a fan of this new song at all whatsoever. The music is lacking, and the lyrics are not up to par with any previous GNR material. I was happy to hear that Axl did not write the song, hopefully that's true. I'm sure I'll get blasted for my opinion. I'm glad people are excited for some good new music, god knows it's been a long time. I am excited too, I still think the album will have some great tracks. This one just doesn't do anything for me. GNR as I and most probably remember them, were a legendary classic blues based rock n roll band. I don't think they need any "industrial" songs in their catalogue, leave that mess to Reznor.

As for the marketing thing, I wouldn't put it past Axl to be thinking about that as you suggest, but really, it's been 15 years, and he's the only original member. People download their music now. Astists give away new albums for free! It's gonna take a marketing genius to make this album a success. Even if this album truly is as good, or even better than original GNR, he put himself in too big a hole to dig out of. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for this album to do great. I have been waiting like everyone else pulling my hair out. I do hope their are some classic rock n roll jams on their. Really dig the Blues and Catcher. Better is a new sound, and I tip my cap, it's great. I do believe Axl still has it. I just hope he puts this thing out before both he and I go completely insane.

I think Axl said it in an interview back in 2006, and Richard has also said that it will be a meltingpot. You will atleast like some of the songs on the album.
Classic Rock, yea.. if IRS and The Blues will be on the album, there will be some tunes for the people who want something like the old stuff. Both songs sounds so great live!!
I really love Shacklers Revenge! And its a great tune! But i have a feeling this album will have lots of different sounds.. i think thats cool ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #1623 on: September 15, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »

The GN'R fan never gets boring.

savedsol
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1624 on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »

why would you let Sheryl Crowe cover SCOM.

Understand music licensing and rights first before making such statements. You are 100% allowed to cover whatever song you want without seeking permission. Your only debt is credit and royalties.
TheRaven
Rocker

« Reply #1625 on: September 15, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »

Understand music licensing and rights first before making such statements. You are 100% allowed to cover whatever song you want without seeking permission. Your only debt is credit and royalties.
Considering that new GN'R re-recorded SCOM for the end of Big Daddy though, I'd assume they were cool with Sheryl Crowe performing the song. Who knows, maybe Axl is a fan of Sheryl Crowe and wanted to hear how she'd do it?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1626 on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »

I see some people are still blaming Axl for going after leakers as if he's actively going to peoples houses and searching their computers.  I guess the statement that it was the record company who was going after the guy because it was stolen from them doesn't hold any water with you?

Anyway, on a different note.  I can understand how some people may not like the song.  It's different, much different than anything they've ever done.  If you are a hard core fan of the old lineup this might not be your cup of tea.  I'll admit the first time I heard it I was like, "What the F is this?"  The beginning is a little shocking.  But towards the end of the song I really started digging it.  The chorus is catchy as hell.  Sure it's simple and the lyrics aren't all that complex, but not every song needs to be revolutionary.  I've listened to the song countless times now and I love it.  So for those who say they don't like it, I'm not sure if you've given it a fair chance.  It may take more than a couple listens to appreciate it.  So keep that in mind, if you still don't like it, that's fine.  You can't please everyone.  The song has gotten very favorable reviews though so far, so I'm not so sure why anyone would say the song would have no chance at gaining mainstream acceptance.  I think'd fit in quite well in the modern rock radio circuit.  It probably wouldn't be a hit on the top 40, a little too heavy for that, but that list is filled with crap.  Who wants that?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1627 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:35 AM »

I think Axl said it in an interview back in 2006, and Richard has also said that it will be a meltingpot. You will atleast like some of the songs on the album.
Classic Rock, yea.. if IRS and The Blues will be on the album, there will be some tunes for the people who want something like the old stuff. Both songs sounds so great live!!
I really love Shacklers Revenge! And its a great tune! But i have a feeling this album will have lots of different sounds.. i think thats cool

I agree Nytunz. It's not realistic to expect to like every single song they put to tape, I realize that. I trust it will be a good album overall. Who knows, maybe Shacklers will grow on me overtime.
GNRFAN20
« Reply #1628 on: September 15, 2008, 10:27:55 AM »

here is the way to unlock shacklers the fastest withouth going through the band world tour

(1-6) Warmup Marathon 1 (Local Upstart)
- Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)
- My Own Worst Enemy (Lit)
- I Was Wrong (Social Distortion)
- So What'cha Want (Beastie Boys)
- E-Pro (Beck)
- Hungry Like the Wolf (Duran Duran)

(7-12) Warmup Marathon 2 (Local Upstart)
- Pretend We're Dead (L7)
- Rebel Girl (Bikini Kill)
- Nine in the Afternoon (Panic at the Disco)
- Float On (Modest Mouse)
- Drain You (Nirvana)
- PDA (Interpol)

(13-18) Apprentice Marathon 1 (Underground Favorite)
- Man in the Box (Alice in Chains)
- Cool for Cats (Squeeze)
- Hello There (Cheap Trick)
- Today (Smashing Pumpkins)
- That's What You Get (Paramore)
- Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum)

(19-24) Apprentice Marathon 2 (Underground Favorite)
- We Got the Beat (Go-Gos)
- New Kid in School (The Donnas)
- Feel the Pain (Dinosaur Jr.)
- Pump it Up (Elvis Costello)
- One Step Closer (Linkin Park)
- Welcome to the Neighborhood (The Libyans)

(25-30) Solid Marathon 1 (Opening Act)
- White Wedding (Billy Idol)
- Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)
- Lump (Presidents of the United States of America)
- Conventional Lover (Speck)
- De-Luxe (Lush)
- Shooting Star (Bad Company)

(31-36) Solid Marathon 2 (Opening Act)
- Give It Away (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- The Middle (Jimmy Eat World)
- American Woman (The Guess Who)
- Livin' On a Prayer (Bon Jovi)
- One Way or Another (Blondie)
- A Jagged Gorgeous Winter (The Main Drag)

(37-42) Moderate Marathon 1 (Chart Topper)
- Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)
- Kids in America (The Muffs)
- Girl's Not Grey (AFI)
- Lazy Eye (Sillversun Pickups)
- Come Out and Play (The Offspring)
- Mountain Song (Jane's Addiction)

(43-48) Moderate Marathon 2 (Chart Topper)
- Where'd You Go (Mighty Mighty Bosstones)
- Alex Chilton (The Replacements)
- Rock'n Me (Steve Miller Band)
- Tangled Up in Blue (Bob Dylan)
- Alive (Pearl Jam)
- Round and Round (Ratt)

(49-54) Challenging Marathon 1 (Headliner)
- You Oughta Know (Alanis Morrissette)
- Alabama Getaway (Grateful Dead)
- Testify (Rage Against the Machine)
- Supreme Girl (The Sterns)
- Pinball Wizard (The Who)
- Our Truth (Lacuna Coil)

(55-60) Challenging Marathon 2 (Headliner)
- Uncontrollable Urge (Devo)
- Bad Reputation (Joan Jett)
- Night Lies (Bang Camaro)
- Any Way You Want It (Journey)
- Teen Age Riot (Sonic Youth)
- Shackler's Revenge (Guns N' Roses)

(61-66) Nightmare Marathon 1 (Legendary Act)
- Let There Be Rock (AC/DC)
- The Trees (Rush)
- Aqualung (Jethro Tull)
- Down With the Sickness (Disturbed)
- Chop Suey (System of a Down)
- Everlong (Foo Fighters)

(67-72) Nightmare Marathon 2 (Legendary Act)
- Master Exploder (Tenacious D)
- Give It All (Rise Against)
- Carry On Wayward Son (Kansas)
- Rob the Prez-O-Dent (That Handsome Devil)
- Spoonman (Soundgarden)
- Ace of Spades '08 (Motorhead)

(73-78) Impossible Marathon 1 (The Impossible Challenges)
- Almost Easy (Avenged Sevenfold)
- Ramblin' Man (The Allman Brothers)
- Get Clean (Anarchy Club)
- Peace Sells (Megadeth)
- Colony of Birchmen (Mastodon)
- Souls of Black (Testament)

(79-84) Impossible Marathon 2 (The Impossible Challenges)
- Bodhisattva (Steely Dan)
- Shoulder to the Plow (Breaking Wheel)
- Battery (Metallica)
- Visions (Abnormality)
- Panic Attack (Dream Theater)
- Painkiller (Judas Priest)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1629 on: September 15, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »

I really love Shacklers Revenge! And its a great tune! But i have a feeling this album will have lots of different sounds.. i think thats cool

I agree Nytunz. It's not realistic to expect to like every single song they put to tape, I realize that. I trust it will be a good album overall. Who knows, maybe Shacklers will grow on me overtime.
Yeah give it some time, it took me about 2 or 3 listens for me to really love it.  I can understand it may take longer for others and some may just never like it.  That's fine, but the song is a grower, like most songs.  I rarely hear a song once or even a couple times and instantly love it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1630 on: September 15, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »

This song is fucking awesome Grin

I think it's the best rocker yet, and I can't wait to hear it live beer

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1631 on: September 15, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »

Pilferk, I unlocked it in New York, at Empire Square Garden, in the "Challenging Songs" setlist. BTW, I was playing guitar on hard and my sister was playing drums on easy :p

Thanks man.

We had played through a bunch or World Tour mode and hadn't found it.  We'd even played THAT setlist (The Challenging Mystery Song Setlist) but it didn't come up.  That's why we headed over the challenge mode, thinking we might need to unlock it there.   I played through the setlist you mentinoed 2 more times after you posted (so 3 times total) and it FINALLY popped up the 3rd time through.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1632 on: September 15, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

me and my friend didnt get the chance to unlock shacklers today but we got most of the setlist so now what is the shortest way to unlock it

The QUICKEST way seems to be this:

Start with NY as the home town for your band (I made the mistake of starting in LA).

If you DON'T start on the East Coast, you end up needing to get the 2nd (Deluxe) Busliner to get there...and that takes some time.  If you're on the East Coast....the first bus is enough to get you the stars required to open up the Empire Gardens in NYC.

Once you open up Empire Gardens, play the "Challenging Mystery Setlist" until it pops up as part of the set list.  Took me 3 tries.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1633 on: September 15, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »

Does Rock Band 2 have a jukebox ?

And if so can some record it off there instead of trying to play it ?  Grin

It was SUPPOSED to.

I haven't found it yet, though.

Anyone else?

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1634 on: September 15, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »

Anyone interested in a "Matchup" thread for putting together bands in RB2, for Schacklers?

Maybe in the Jungle?

We could post our ID's, "local" band members, what we might be looking for, when, and skill level?

Just a thought...

Together again,
AxlLynch
Opening Act

« Reply #1635 on: September 15, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »

This is 100% false just fyi.  You are not allowed to record any song you like under copyright laws and not only would you be liable, but anyone else who used the covered song would be liable.  Savage Garden sampled a piece of a Rolling Stone song, they had asked for permission and turned down, they were sued out of their minds.  Axl has allowed his songs to be in countless of things and yes her turns down the things that he feels in the end will not make him more money.  Why do you think hes sitting on 100 songs?  You cant honestly believe that the record company for years havent wanted to release it.  And again it is not the type of music, I really like industrial music, just go to a NIN board and see how fans who have heard it are laughing about it.  Its not a new sound, White Zombie had this sound 15 years ago minus the guitars which again are the best part of the song.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1636 on: September 15, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »

when kids first heard 'it' on the radio, they all went 'wtf is this, sounds terrible!'
then after a while they were all over it. Nowadays, maybe there're still some people that never like 'it'
but no one say 'it's noise not music!' like their grandpas or parents did in the 60s.

there was a time when Rock was a shock.

I'd love to hear more outcries like 'it's not GNR it's not rock n roll!'. so classic.

People dont have to like what you like.  I guarantee many people will not like this song, that doesnt make them not true fans...all it does is make them a person who doesnt like the song. 

Me too can guarantee that and that doesn't mean far more people than your so called many 'true fans' wont love it.

what the
hell was that part in the middle?  Was that the solo?  It sounded like a computer dying. 
LT4

I believe it's Giant Robot stamping.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1637 on: September 15, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »

This is 100% false just fyi.  You are not allowed to record any song you like under copyright laws and not only would you be liable, but anyone else who used the covered song would be liable.  Savage Garden sampled a piece of a Rolling Stone song, they had asked for permission and turned down, they were sued out of their minds.  Axl has allowed his songs to be in countless of things and yes her turns down the things that he feels in the end will not make him more money.  Why do you think hes sitting on 100 songs?  You cant honestly believe that the record company for years havent wanted to release it.  And again it is not the type of music, I really like industrial music, just go to a NIN board and see how fans who have heard it are laughing about it.  Its not a new sound, White Zombie had this sound 15 years ago minus the guitars which again are the best part of the song.
If you're a fan of industrial music and compare this to White Zombie and say that the guitars are the best part, then it's Axl that you don't like.  Seems like you prefer Rob Zombie as a lead singer to Axl.  I think Axl's vocals kick ass on this track.  Maybe I'm reading into your comments incorrectly, but that's what it sounds like to me.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1638 on: September 15, 2008, 11:54:02 AM »

You are not allowed to record any song you like under copyright laws and not only would you be liable, but anyone else who used the covered song would be liable. 

Once a song has been commercially released by an artist, that artist's song may be re-recorded and released by anyone who chooses to do so. This holds true, provided that the melody/lyric isn't substantially altered in the "cover" version, and that they pay proper fees/royalties directly to the song's copyright holder.
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/recording_cover_songs.html

In addition:

A mechanical license is a (often required) license that grants certain limited permissions to work with, study, improve upon, reinterprete, re-record (etc.) something that is not either a free/open source item or in the public domain.

Within the music industry, a mechanical licence gives the holder permission to create copies of a recorded song which they did not write and/or do not have copyright over. It is an agreement with the copyright holder, the publisher, or the songwriter that allows the holder to reproduce the sound recording.

Copyright law also allows for a "compulsory mechanical license" where permission from the original author is not required. In the United States of America, most mechanical licenses are negotiated through the Harry Fox Agency. A mechanical license can only be used after the original copyright holder has exercised their exclusive right of first publishing, or permission is negotiated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_license

You come off as a guy who desperately wants to dislike Axl and the song.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:59:28 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1639 on: September 15, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »

You made your first mistake by using the internet message board of another band to gauge reactions.  First of all, there is a fairly sizeable faction of NIN who hate GnR/Axl and will dismiss anything he releases regardless of what it sounds like.  Second, the internet is not representative of the general population.  A ton of people online are overly negative and bitch and moan about everything, they don't accurately represent the general population.  It happens with movies, music, sports, video games, everything.  So, some guy on an NIN board who doesn't like GnR in the first place doesn't really represent the record buying public. 
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: