Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:47:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1582058 times)
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2380 on: December 01, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »

Bacon, the costs Axl ran up with the label for all of the recording get charged back to him and get taken out of his royalties from record sales. If he has to incur the costs, he damn sure is going to get all the royalties from the sales. Record sales royalties and publishing rights/writing credits are too separate income streams.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2381 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »

No no no.....record sales don't financially affect the band! They were not part of the recording agreement. crying

Listen, if some geek of the street writes a song and any joe blow blands records that song, under there record deal.  That geek off the street is getting paid, royalties

Guns have covered many peoples songs over time and have recorded a few, Dylan, Mcartney all who cover album!!!   All those artists are getting paid royalties off the sales of guns n roses records.   It has nothing to do with record contracts.  Its all regulated.  

It is so regulated that some weird European band sued Axl, just for using a small sample of there music on a track on CD.   They won that lawsuit and guess what.   Are paid royalties.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2382 on: December 01, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »

Bacon, the costs Axl ran up with the label for all of the recording get charged back to him and get taken out of his royalties from record sales. If he has to incur the costs, he damn sure is going to get all the royalties from the sales. Record sales royalties and publishing rights/writing credits are too separate income streams.

The only production costs for the album that Axl had to pay, where what he covered back when the label cut off funding...  All the rest was covered by the label.  An artist dosnt have to pay that back and it has nothing to do with writing royalties.

And yes you are right..  Record sales royalties and publishing and licencing of music are two different streams of income for an artist.   But who ever wrote the song, is getting paid by all the streams.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2383 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »

Axl incurred the costs.....he gets the royalties from sales. Yes writing credits get you publishing money. From the 2004 GH Lawsuit

Since 1992, the parties have executed various amendments to the Recording Agreement, including most notably, two amendments dated as of May 1, 1998. One of these amendments, see Froeling Decl. Ex. D, confirmed Slash's and Duff's departure from the band and their status as 'Leaving Members'? under the 1992 Recording Agreement, thereby relieving them of charges against their royalty accounts for the enormous recording costs and other expenses being incurred by Axl Rose (the only 'Remaining Member'[FN1] of Guns N' Roses) in connection with the recording of the new Guns N' Roses studio album. Hoffman Decl. ¶ 3. Slash and Duff, like Stradlin and Adler before them, retained a royalty interest in masters created under the Recording Agreement prior to their departure from the band. Id In the other May 1, 1998 amendment, see Hoffman Decl. Ex. A, Axl Rose agreed, among other things, to deliver that new studio LP (which was even then long overdue under the Recording Agreement) no later than March 1, 1999 and received a substantial advance from Geffen in return. Hence, although other individuals have joined Axl Rose in performing under the name 'Guns N' Roses'? since 1998, Rose is the only principal in the band. Id.

Riiiiiight....  He owns guns n roses.  The name, the brand, etc...  Its all his...

He hired musicians to form guns n roses again and help record an album.

These musicians were paid a salary to do this work.   Reported to be 11000 for key members.

Once the album is released if it only sold one copy these musicians would get a share of that..  And the record label would be out 15 million

If Axl owned every song outright there would only be his name in the writing credits, but it isn't..   He is the sole lyric writer, but the music and melody writing is split over many different artists.   

Axl would def make the most off this album, as he has the most writing credits.  The way it actually looks is that it is almost a 50-50 split.  50 percent of the writing profits will go to Axl and the other 50 percent split between the other artists in various percentages based on there writing credits
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2384 on: December 01, 2014, 11:36:45 AM »

I also think I read some place that Axl/gnr were trying to recoup some/all of the production costs from this album that they had to cover once the record label cut off funding, before they would hand it over to the label.  I don't blame Axl at all for this. 
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2385 on: December 01, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »

I don't think you know what you are talking about...at all. I am out of this one. hihi

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2386 on: December 01, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »

I know, but it only works as a goof. 

Like if I told someone to stop being a smartass.  As a joke, that works, given my way of carrying myself.  As a serious demand, its not the least bit credible.

Jesus.
I call you open minded because it's one of the last things a biased fan like yourself comes off as. Do you need a picture as well?

I continue to bring up a comment that you made WEEKS AGO now, like you are doing with this over and over again when I get under your skin?

You have no effect on me. Stop flattering yourself.
Maybe I should do your old trick and cry about how things were amazing during the weekend while you were away and now you came here to ruin everything?  crying

He completely fucked over his bandmates with his temper tantrum.  They waited for years on a payoff that never came.

Because you asked them? I don't recall anyone saying that.....
You're using the band members as an excuse to attack Axl. How noble of you.

Jarmo, is this your way of saying that GNR made mistakes last time?
Or, are you just saying the band doesn't want to promote this new album the same way they did last time?

No, it's my way of saying that maybe the band has reasons why they chose to do things differently this time around.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2387 on: December 01, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »

ps...and for the record, I currently have no idea what the current relationship is between Axl and the label or between Axl and any current (or former) band mates.

I am quite sure a lot changed with the Best Buy deal and the release of Chinese.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #2388 on: December 01, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »

The funny thing is if you ask 10 different people (all who had direct contact with Axl over the years) the same question as to why X happened with Chinese Democracy ... you would get 10 different answers

The reason why Axl takes so much heat for it is because he made it solely on him and is the only common denominator over all the years.

It's not looking to rip him up... hes just the only person always in the middle of the bullseye.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
mortismurphy
« Reply #2389 on: December 01, 2014, 12:11:47 PM »

Now for a true reunion to happen Axl would have to close down what is now Guns n roses.  And restart a partnership with the previous members.  Thus giving up everything he has fought for all these years.   It would make no sense for him to do it.  And it would also make no sence for the other memebers to come back if there wasn't a true partnership and they were
. Need I remind you that much of this period (2002-2008) coincides with Velvet Revolver, an 'arena status' rock band whose debut went double platinum -

Some good points..But the payday for a Reunion would have been huge...I'm sure all would have been compensated fairly..Back in the 1990's when KISS Reunited Paul and Gene made more...But I'm happy with this lineup, so no need for a reunion...

Sure, but we are discussing the record company here, who, according to some people 'deliberately sabotaged cd to engineer a reunion''. A Kiss style reunion tour would only marginally concern the record company unless it was in support of a new release.
mortismurphy
« Reply #2390 on: December 01, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »

I see you have ignored my comment about Buckethead. Presumably the voice of GN'R members ceases to be relevant when they become, ex-members and cease to act like Stepford Wives.

For a person who's open minded and reads everything, you also forgot what Axl said about it....

There is a lot also that is being omitted by yourself in this discussion, namely, the small matter of an estimated $13 million (possibly higher). It is a very strange policy, to throw $13 million into something you want to frustrate - very strange indeed.

Those are your words, not mine.
They were involved up to a point, and then decided not to be involved.

The good news is that the Blu-ray came out on the same record label.

/jarmo

I find what Axl says, difficult to decipher at the best of times and at worst, outright gibberish.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2391 on: December 01, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »

I think the problem is that people buy into a certain image that has been portrayed by various people over the years. Case in point, some fans actually believe Axl tweets all the GN'R tweets and that he controls everything relating to GN'R's social media presence....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #2392 on: December 01, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

I also think I read some place that Axl/gnr were trying to recoup some/all of the production costs from this album that they had to cover once the record label cut off funding, before they would hand it over to the label.  I don't blame Axl at all for this. 

That's interesting. How did they manage to recoup the money before they handed it over? Touring or something? That's a really good plan, I'd be impressed if they actually managed to do that.

"Your career, on the other hand, takes a huge hit.  This was "the most anticipated album EVER" that hits the shelves in November 2008 and is already forgotten about by 2009.  Is that a good thing?  

You spent almost a decade of your life on this thing.  If you hope to have a viable career going forward, you need to sell this to the people.  Where's the payoff getting mad and pouting?"-DX

When was the last time a best selling album with legendary acclaim actually came out? What kind of music was it and how much did it sell? I'm asking the questions for real because I don't actually know the answers. Maybe In Rainbows from Radiohead or something? I think CD music wise was as good as it gets and besides, it didn't sell all that poorly. I don't know what you were expecting from CD but I never thought it was going to make GNR skyrocket back into the mainstream or anything. I don't think Axl worries as much about the sales of his albums as you do DX (joke). If the record company fucked him somehow (by taking the album from him forcibly as was noted by Fortus if I am not mistaken, not using the correct album art, not following through on promises about promotion) then it's no surprise he didn't cooperate with them. Asking him to just bend over and take it with a smile so he can sell more albums might work if he was a member of N Sync or some shit, but in all reality this is Axl Rose we're talking about here.

I remember hearing that he thought of the music industry as a kind of war zone. He has some crazy tactics but he seems to do alright for himself in at least being able to do things his own way and at his own pace, and not living too much in conflict with himself (staying true to his own sense of integrity).

As for the record company sabotaging CD to bring about a reunion, I don't necessarily think that's what happened but it was interesting to hear about the idea for the first time. What I'm curious about is why wouldn't the record company want to promote the release of CD? Wouldn't better sales mean more money for them?

And Murphy, in my opinion yer trippin' about Axl's ramblings being gibberish. He is incredibly articulate with words and comes across as intelligent and clear as far as I can tell.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
mortismurphy
« Reply #2393 on: December 01, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »

And Murphy, in my opinion yer trippin' about Axl's ramblings being gibberish. He is incredibly articulate with words and comes across as intelligent and clear as far as I can tell.

I cannot say I agree. I generally find Axl's ramblings utterly incomprehensible.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #2394 on: December 01, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »

I cannot say I agree. I generally find Axl's ramblings utterly incomprehensible.

Well you're certainly entitled to see things that way. For me his intelligence and ability to articulate that intelligence were always some of his most appealing traits, like Jim Morrison. 

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2395 on: December 01, 2014, 12:42:15 PM »

I think the problem is that people buy into a certain image that has been portrayed by various people over the years. Case in point, some fans actually believe Axl tweets all the GN'R tweets and that he controls everything relating to GN'R's social media presence....

Do people spend lot of time on that one?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2396 on: December 01, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »

His rants onstage are easy enough to follow.

Anytime he commits pen to paper (or types it out) its a mess.  Its why I don't have too much desire for an autobiography.  That would be a trainwreck.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #2397 on: December 01, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »

^^You guys crack me up. He writes well, almost like a lawyer or psychologist. Very precise and elaborate in general. I always wonder if people edit what he says before it gets committed to print. If not then I am all the more impressed.

Can someone show me an excerpt of text that specifies the point they are trying to make? An instance where the meanings of Axl's words were particularly unclear?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:32:19 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2398 on: December 01, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »

^^You guys crack me up. He writes well, almost like a lawyer or psychologist. Very precise and elaborate in general. I always wonder if people edit what he says before it gets committed to print. If not then I am all the more impressed.

Can someone show me an excerpt of text that specifies the point they are trying to make? An instance where the meanings of Axl's words were particularly unclear?

How about "dive in and find the monkey"?

Or hell, that entire press release.  You think a lawyer sends that out?  Lionel Hutz doesn't send that out.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2399 on: December 01, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

The infamous Burning Hills fax..classic.... hihi

LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

#1. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses tour.

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses web site.

#3. There will NOT be any NEW Guns N' Roses videos.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merhandise.

#5. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses Fan Club.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with
three original "B" sides.

NOTE: If all goes well this will be immediately repeated.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the
Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

Nothing here is Subject To Change
                Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION
                Of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic"

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM by sky dog » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: